ADVERTISEMENT

Three club golf tourney. What three clubs do you use?

hawkeye54545

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2005
Playing in a tournament with that format today and trying to decide what clubs to pick.

It's a 3 person scramble and the team has to use the same three so you can't have one guy use a putter unless you all do.

I used the driver to putt last night and did fine.

It would depend on the course. I might go with a long iron, middle iron, and some type of wedge - trying to mix them based on the course such that I had a combination of clubs that fit well together on a lot of holes.
Since it is a scramble, I might be tempted to switch and go with either driver or 3W, then a 4/5 iron, and a wedge, hoping to get far enough off the tee to be able to create something on the shot in.

19° hybrid
54° wedge
Putter

Depends on the course, though, length of par 3’s, whether there’s water to carry, etc.

Irons that I trust and can be versatile for different types of shots. 5I, 8I, and putter.

We play three club golf often when the weather is nice enough to walk. I usually bring my 3 hybrid, 8 iron and sand wedge. I putt with the hybrid.

7 iron, AW, putter. Pretty sure I could break 80 with that combo most days.

*Driver
9 iron
Putter

*just me personally as I have a mental block hitting 3 wood or hybrid off the Tee on holes where traditional I would use a driver.

My nine iron, I can hit greens pretty good with it, I’d consider my PW but my 9 gives me about 25 more yards at the top end and I can still hit my 9 for those 30-100 yard shots pretty well. My 8 isn’t quite as versatile for me for 100yard and in shots. Although it would widen my range.

Putter: I have a Scotty that I love. I can pound it off the green to get close and obviously can putt normally with it, so I feel that gives me a major advantage over someone who doesn’t haven’t a putter.

After a bit more thought, with it being a scramble you have to look for birdies & count on salvaging pars with 4 guys hitting every shot.
Driver, hort iron (somewhere between 7i and PW, depending on course length), and putter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT