Rage Against the Machine
Soundgarden
The Spinners
A Tribe Called Quest
The White Stripes
Warren Zevon

Pathetic

It's not a bad list.

Don't get the constant love for Rage. Yeah, they are outspoken politically and make mediocre music. They are good live. Have no idea how they got nominated(5X) before other bands from era that made better music and had more influence(Pumpkins, AIC, etc)

Willie should have been nominated last year, as he makes more sense for RAR HOF than Dolly

Zevon should be in already, and it sounds like he will have support.

George should have already have been nominated and will hopefully get in.

My fan ballot was:
George
Zevon
Willie
New Order/Joy Division
Spinners

This year's nominees are:

Kate Bush
Sheryl Crow
Missy Elliott
Iron Maiden
Joy Division/New Order
Cyndi Lauper
George Michael
Willie Nelson
Rage Against the Machine
Soundgarden
The Spinners
A Tribe Called Quest
The White Stripes
Warren Zevon

Pathetic

It's a good list.

Reactions: noleclone2
The HOF is a lot like Elvis. Fantastic at first then they lost the plot and had only fleeting moments of greatness.

Right now is the fat Elvis period followed shortly by death.

Reactions: TheCainer
Three Dog Night to me should be a no brainer - but I would tend to believe what is holding them back is the fact they wrote very few of their songs.

Some of the writers of hits...

Harry Nilsson (One)
Laura Nyro (Eli's Coming)
Randy Newman (Mama Told Me Not To Come)
Russ Ballard (Liar)
Hoyt Axton (Joy To The World, Never Been To Spain)
Paul Williams (Old Fashioned Love Song)

There are other famous names galore sprinkled on other hits (not as famous obviously). But you look at the writing credits of their albums and the "deep cuts" and you'll see a LOT of familiar names.

Joni Mitchell, Elton John/Bernie Taupin, John Hiatt, Lennon/McCartney, Leo Sayer, Jimmy Cliff, Dave Loggins, Stevie Wonder, Steve Winwood, Jesse Colin Young, Dave Mason, Sam Cooke, Neil Young...

It's not a bad list.

Don't get the constant love for Rage. Yeah, they are outspoken politically and make mediocre music. They are good live. Have no idea how they got nominated(5X) before other bands from era that made better music and had more influence(Pumpkins, AIC, etc)

Willie should have been nominated last year, as he makes more sense for RAR HOF than Dolly

Zevon should be in already, and it sounds like he will have support.

George should have already have been nominated and will hopefully get in.

My fan ballot was:
George
Zevon
Willie
New Order/Joy Division
Spinners
Rage mediocre? LOL, GTFO. It’s cool if they’re not your style, but to call them mediocre is idiotic. And yeah, they are more than “good” live. JFC

3 Dog Night not being "in" is a travesty.....that really surprises me. They were pretty hot stuff when I was younger......Jethro Tull is certainly eligible for admission too......"Aqualung" is CLASSIC rock n' roll...and Sam Cooke not in? Jeeeeebus keeerist, he should be a charter member!

Three Dog Night to me should be a no brainer - but I would tend to believe what is holding them back is the fact they wrote very few of their songs.

Some of the writers of hits...

Harry Nilsson (One)
Laura Nyro (Eli's Coming)
Randy Newman (Mama Told Me Not To Come)
Russ Ballard (Liar)
Hoyt Axton (Joy To The World, Never Been To Spain)
Paul Williams (Old Fashioned Love Song)

There are other famous names galore sprinkled on other hits (not as famous obviously). But you look at the writing credits of their albums and the "deep cuts" and you'll see a LOT of familiar names.

Joni Mitchell, Elton John/Bernie Taupin, John Hiatt, Lennon/McCartney, Leo Sayer, Jimmy Cliff, Dave Loggins, Stevie Wonder, Steve Winwood, Jesse Colin Young, Dave Mason, Sam Cooke, Neil Young...
Writing your own songs is overrated IMO. Making great music is what matters and 3 Dog Night certainly did.

Louis Armstrong did a lot more covers than originals. Same with hundreds of other credible artists. Most of the HOF charter members class for instance.

3 Dog Night not being "in" is a travesty.....that really surprises me. They were pretty hot stuff when I was younger......Jethro Tull is certainly eligible for admission too......"Aqualung" is CLASSIC rock n' roll...and Sam Cooke not in? Jeeeeebus keeerist, he should be a charter member!
Jethro should absolutely be in. Almost criminal they’re not.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Rage in their prime is one of the greatest rock bands ever.
my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Writing your own songs is overrated IMO. Making great music is what matters and 3 Dog Night certainly did.

Louis Armstrong did a lot more covers than originals. Same with hundreds of other credible artists. Most of the HOF charter members class for instance.

While I agree when it comes to solo artists (I kinda thought this would be brought up with my claim) - I suspect in the HOF's mind "bands are different".

When I see some of the whom I consider to be (either absolutely non rock and roll artists, or barely worthy ones) who did get in - then I look at a band like TDN not getting in - I ask what could they have NOT done in the HOF's eye to not be deserving?

Cheap Trick is in the HOF. I mean, I like Cheap Trick, but c'mon. Cheap Trick - and NOT Three Dog Night?

While I agree when it comes to solo artists (I kinda thought this would be brought up with my claim) - I suspect in the HOF's mind "bands are different".

When I see some of the whom I consider to be (either absolutely non rock and roll artists, or barely worthy ones) who did get in - then I look at a band like TDN not getting in - I ask what could they have NOT done in the HOF's eye to not be deserving?

Cheap Trick is in the HOF. I mean, I like Cheap Trick, but c'mon. Cheap Trick - and NOT Three Dog Night?
I hear ya. It’s impossible to really know what they go by other than making money.

Rage mediocre? LOL, GTFO. It’s cool if they’re not your style, but to call them mediocre is idiotic. And yeah, they are more than “good” live. JFC
What makes them so great then as candidates for hall? Explain what they have accomplished ?

I agree that music is very subjective. But imo if they were not so outspoken politically, they would not even be on radar of RAR HOF . Their resume just doesn’t come close to other acts that are not in and in some cases not even nominated

But these are many of the same people who put Green Day in on first ballot, so identifying great music is not exactly their strength

Cheap Trick has been very influential to many bands over years . I think that helped their case

What makes them so great then as candidates for hall? Explain what they have accomplished ?

I agree that music is very subjective. But imo if they were not so outspoken politically, they would not even be on radar of RAR HOF . Their resume just doesn’t come close to other acts that are not in and in some cases not even nominated

But these are many of the same people who put Green Day in on first ballot, so identifying great music is not exactly their strength
First of all, the Rock and Roll hall of fame is a fvcking joke anyway. Cindi Lauper? Sheryl Crow? Lol, what the fvck? And yeah Green Day? It’s a joke. So with all that being said, why the fvck does Rage not belong? I think we’re basically on the same page, just not same paragraph. I’m high also.

• Haha

Because they were the most representative band of their genre and Tom Morello was an all-time great with a distinct sound that’s been copied to death.

And Smashing Pumpkins should absolutely be in. As should Soundgarden.

Nor Johnny Rivers

Others not in (according to what I just pasted from)

Bad Company/Free/Paul Rodgers
MC5
Ozzy Osbourne
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Jethro Tull
George Thorogood
Grand Funk Railroad
Steppenwolf
Soundgarden
The Black Crowes
Faces
Humble Pie
Blue Oyster Cult,
Billy Idol,
Bachman-Turner Overdrive,
America,
Motley Crue,
Kansas,
Foreigner,
Foghat,
Eddie Money,
Boston,
Thin Lizzy.

MC5
Ozzy Osbourne
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Jethro Tull
George Thorogood
Grand Funk Railroad
Steppenwolf
Soundgarden
The Black Crowes
Faces
Humble Pie
Blue Oyster Cult,
Billy Idol,
America,
Motley Crue,
Kansas,
Foreigner,
Foghat,
Eddie Money,
Boston,
Thin Lizzy.
Seriously, this list just shows how horrid the hall of fame is. Ozzy Fvcking Osborne not in? Billy Idol not in? Wtf

Reactions: Madman_1 and bdg8
First of all, the Rock and Roll hall of fame is a fvcking joke anyway. Cindi Lauper? Sheryl Crow? Lol, what the fvck? And yeah Green Day? It’s a joke. So with all that being said, why the fvck does Rage not belong? I think we’re basically on the same page, just not same paragraph. I’m high also.
agree. I am all for diversity, but FFS, don't make picks to just check a box

I also think Cyndi is a talented pop artist with underrated vocal ability. RAR HOF material? No.
Sheryl Crow. No freaking way. Just not even close to having a solid case
Missy Elliot? Talented for sure as artist and producer. But she's a female, like Mary J. Blige was last year, and diversity over impact became important to committee

But I think having these types of conversations are enjoyable. I miss being younger and having more time and energy to listen to new music and see concerts .

Should have done some research. Ozzy got inducted along with BS in 2006. That’s good enough. Billy out though is ridiculous though.
I mean if Stevie Nicks can get in as a solo artist and with Fleetwood Mac, Ozzy as a solo has legit argument. Dr. Dre should also be considered at some point as single artist for solo work and producing

Chubby Checker brought rock n roll music to the entire world through the Twist. Only Elvis and the Beatles had a farther reach. 60+ years later most Americans, even kids know the Twist dance.

Movies, #1 hits, hundreds of Twist songs recorded in his wake. Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles, Count Basie, Bob Wills, Bill Monroe, Sam Cooke, Elton John, Faces, Traveling Wilburies. There are Twist songs for virtually every genre of music including the Kings of RnR, swing jazz, bluegrass and Western swing.

Jackie doing the Twist in the WH as JFK looks in.

Soon JFK was killed and everything changed. Chubby and most everyone before the Beatles were yesterday’s news. But I think Chubby’s resume is tops among those eligible. Not my personal favorite, just the best data points for his resume.

I think a lot of the disagreement is a generational thing. OP notes that Tull and 3 Dog Nite aren't in. I heartily agree Tull's absence is a travesty. But does a mainly covers band really belong there? Methinks not.

This year's list, for me, is a bunch of names I've heard of it, but I'd be hard pressed to name a song any of them played.

The list OP posted of names NOT in from a few years ago is appalling. The Hall of Fame has always been on my list to see, but I wonder if I'd enjoy half as much looking at who's getting in these days.

Chubby Checker brought rock n roll music to the entire world through the Twist. Only Elvis and the Beatles had a farther reach. 60+ years later most Americans, even kids know the Twist dance.

Movies, #1 hits, hundreds of Twist songs recorded in his wake. Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles, Count Basie, Bob Wills, Bill Monroe, Sam Cooke, Elton John, Faces, Traveling Wilburies. There are Twist songs for virtually every genre of music including the Kings of RnR, swing jazz, bluegrass and Western swing.

Jackie doing the Twist in the WH as JFK looks in.

Soon JFK was killed and everything changed. Chubby and most everyone before the Beatles were yesterday’s news. But I think Chubby’s resume is tops among those eligible. Not my personal favorite, just the best data points for his resume.
I read this post in Daniel Stern's voice from Wonder Years.

MC5
Ozzy Osbourne
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Jethro Tull
George Thorogood
Grand Funk Railroad
Steppenwolf
Soundgarden
The Black Crowes
Faces
Humble Pie
Blue Oyster Cult,
Billy Idol,
America,
Motley Crue,
Kansas,
Foreigner,
Foghat,
Eddie Money,
Boston,
Thin Lizzy.
I don't believe Yes or Emerson, Lake and Palmer are in either. ☹

• Wow
Reactions: seminoleed

Rage has influenced lots of artists from various genres. 3 dog night etc. Was another Strawberry Alarm Clock. Nothing original or terribly memorable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT