ADVERTISEMENT

Three Mile island Netflix Documentary

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
There is a new documentary about Three Mile Island on Netflix right now. Going into watching it I didn’t know much but it seems like a lot of our non progress is due to what happened here with the NRC and the company that owned that nuclear facility.

Do you think we ever get over that to where we can use Nuclear power to lower our carbon footprint?

There is a new documentary about Three Mile Island on Netflix right now. Going into watching it I didn’t know much but it seems like a lot of our non progress is due to what happened here with the NRC and the company that owned that nuclear facility.

Do you think we ever get over that to where we can use Nuclear power to lower our carbon footprint?
Nuclear would seem like an obvious solution but there's just so much ingrained opposition to it....

Difficulty storing nuclear waste is a big hurdle.

I'd think with the technology we have now new plants would be very efficient and safer....

Reactions: VodkaSam
Nuclear would seem like an obvious solution but there's just so much ingrained opposition to it....

I'd think with the technology we have now new plants would be very efficient and safer....
Probably, but people saw how this was handled and lost trust. Then, they see incidents at Chernobyl and Fukishima and just don't want one near them just in case.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
The “partial” meltdown that occurred at TMI proved without a doubt how safe and redundant American reactor designs were. Most of TMI-2’s pressure vessel core melted. Yet, none of the “corium” escaped the vessel itself. Let alone the bunker that is the containment building. Similar results occurred at Fukushima in regard to the performance of the pressure vessels, although the containment structures at that plant aren’t nearly as fortified as what we have in place.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk

From what I’ve read it is very expensive to reuse the waste too but idk why. I would assume after 40+ years this should be out of the minds of most Americans and we should progress our nuclear energy capabilities.

The “partial” meltdown that occurred at TMI proved without a doubt how safe and redundant American reactor designs were. Most of that pressure vessel’s core melted. Yet, none of the “corium” escaped the vessel itself. Let alone the bunker that is the containment building. Similar results occurred at Fukushima in regard to pressure vessels, although the containment structures at that plant aren’t nearly as fortified as what we have in place.
There are studies about how people got cancer around three mile island by 2-3 times more than the avg. I don’t know if you can say that it’s the cause but it definitely raises eyebrows. But I believe that was more on the higher ups trying to save their ass moreso compared to doing the right thing.

There are studies about how people got cancer around three mile island by 2-3 times more than the avg. I don’t know if you can say that it’s the cause but it definitely raises eyebrows. But I believe that was more on the higher ups trying to save their ass moreso compared to doing the right thing.

I haven’t seen those studies. I’ve seen information that says the opposite though.

It was in the documentary and it was based on how the wind was blowing during the meltdown. No idea how correct it is or not tho
At the time, the company, NRC and more didn't want to admit to the damage done and didn't want to uncover the long-term effects. They still don't and will never admit to them. This is the biggest reason the population at large has little interest or trust in having one of these in their area.

Reactions: Hawk_82
Fun fact

The movie The China Syndrome, which portrays safety issues at a nuclear plant resulting in an accident (though no meltdown), came out 12 days before TMI's meltdown.
They actually touch on this in the documentary

Reactions: SSG T
Ultimately, when there is such potential for disaster if things go wrong, you have to be able to trust the people in charge to do the right thing.

When money is involved, corners will always be cut and some of the people in charge will always try to cover up problems until it is too late.

3 mile island was an accident that no one thought could/would happen. I dont trust the government to handle these types of things, nor do i trust the private sector. I also think we have to be careful to allow foreign owners to own/operate nuclear plants on American soil.

It was in the documentary and it was based on how the wind was blowing during the meltdown. No idea how correct it is or not tho

It seems like a classic situation where groups of experts have opposing views. I can’t imagine being a fly on the wall of that control room when the crisis was in full swing. Talk about tense hours.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
The “partial” meltdown that occurred at TMI proved without a doubt how safe and redundant American reactor designs were. Most of TMI-2’s pressure vessel core melted. Yet, none of the “corium” escaped the vessel itself. Let alone the bunker that is the containment building. Similar results occurred at Fukushima in regard to the performance of the pressure vessels, although the containment structures at that plant aren’t nearly as fortified as what we have in place.
i lived 13 miles from there. we were slated to go for an out of town trip that weekend, so we just stopped at the safe deposit box on the way out of town and picked up critical documents. I will say, listening to the radio on the car ride out of town for a couple of hours that afternoon did not convey a sense of a situation well controlled, regardless of the ultimate outcome.

But that whole thing did give us The Pepsi Syndrome bit, which I am thankful for.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT