ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Three-star DB Koen Entringer commits to Iowa***

I had heard with Freshmen, if they are good enough to start then you use them that first year otherwise redshirt and get used to the flow of school and the fball life. build yourself up etc....
This coach also went on to say that eligibility preservation is one of the coaches top jobs amongst all they have to do. Sort of interesting to recall these years later..
He had also mentioned regarding QB, that once your first 2 go down you are pretty much running on fumes anyway so why give up 5 schollys to QB when 3 will do--if you had to go with a 4th you would be SOL anyway.
Then you would just pull another player, in our case it could be CDJ to QB. Said a lot of the players playing DB were QB in HS.
Which is why you almost always see Iowa with a walk on QB on the roster who was at least a pretty good high school QB. Also a reason that you need to continue bringing a new QB every year, because they know that QB's 3 and 4 if you have one are likely to hit the portal at anytime.

Your second point is inarguably true, nothing prepares one for live action like live action. It just cannot be simulated or "taught".

Working with the two deeps could happen in winter spring and summer, although not under actual game prep conditions.

The defensive backfield is pretty well stocked.
Actually I'd say we're a little thin at true CB right now with Hankins leaving, Moss probably leaving, and I see CD ending up at safety or cash. I think we'll be fine with the depth we have once this class gets here, which was why signing a big group of DB's this year was critical. I could see any of them pushing for the depth chart in 22. After Harris and Roberts at CB its basically just Lawson and Deasfernandes. Thinking Bracy and CD more likely safety. CD may end up filling in unless Hall and Trader are READY right away, otherwise I'd call that pretty thin at CB. Entringer may help at either spot, but he's pretty raw as a football player, so it may take him a bit. X may play either intially as well but he looks to be a safety or cash as well, and expect hin to see the field in some capacity in 22. We have numerous walk on DB's but most of those guys usually end up at safety as well, but I don't know enough about them to form an opinion.

Actually I'd say we're a little thin at true CB right now with Hankins leaving, Moss probably leaving, and I see CD ending up at safety or cash. I think we'll be fine with the depth we have once this class gets here, which was why signing a big group of DB's this year was critical. I could see any of them pushing for the depth chart in 22. After Harris and Roberts at CB its basically just Lawson and Deasfernandes. Thinking Bracy and CD more likely safety. CD may end up filling in unless Hall and Trader are READY right away, otherwise I'd call that pretty thin at CB. Entringer may help at either spot, but he's pretty raw as a football player, so it may take him a bit. X may play either intially as well but he looks to be a safety or cash as well, and expect hin to see the field in some capacity in 22. We have numerous walk on DB's but most of those guys usually end up at safety as well, but I don't know enough about them to form an opinion.
That's part of the reason why I expect a TR FR (or two) corner could legitimately be a contributor in 2022.

Also, suppose we entertain the hypothetical that Belton sticks at CASH for one more year. In that case, it's not unreasonable to suppose that Schulte and Merriweather win the remaining safety gigs. That could potentially leave DeJean on "standby" as a nickel DB. This is also assuming that Roberts and Harris manage to win the starting corner spots.

That's part of the reason why I expect a TR FR (or two) corner could legitimately be a contributor in 2022.

Also, suppose we entertain the hypothetical that Belton sticks at CASH for one more year. In that case, it's not unreasonable to suppose that Schulte and Merriweather win the remaining safety gigs. That could potentially leave DeJean on "standby" as a nickel DB. This is also assuming that Roberts and Harris manage to win the starting corner spots.

It's likely X Man will take most of Schulte's snaps by midseason. The coaches will find a way to keep Cooper and Xaviar on the same field together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT