ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Three-star DB Koen Entringer commits to Iowa***

So why are you being pissy about being called out? Best thing to do is to say “Thanks for letting me know” or “Awesome, thanks for the insight.” Getting upset at that person makes you look bad.
I'm not being pissy, just saying nobody knows for sure and I'm done arguing. Michigan picked up an elite db commit before the announcement and easily could have passed.

Either way it doesnt really matter.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I'm not being pissy, just saying nobody knows for sure and I'm done arguing. Michigan picked up an elite db commit before the announcement and easily could have passed.

I’m sure TOSU pulled their offer the Wednesday X committed as well. I mean…. We’ll never know for sure AMIRITE???!!!?!?!

Reactions: F5n5
I’m sure TOSU pulled their offer the Wednesday X committed as well. I mean…. We’ll never know for sure AMIRITE???!!!?!?!
Lmao OK bud

Let's maybe slow down on comparing to one of the highest ranked recruits we've ever had lol

Brw....Do you think osu didn't have multiple fallback options for x???

Reactions: cheddarwurst69

Only problem is UM was still going to take him. That’s a well known fact. They didn’t just throw the offer around for shits and grins. You also don’t offer guys later on unless you’re serious about taking them.

Only problem is UM was still going to take him. That’s a well known fact. They didn’t just throw the offer around for shits and grins. You also don’t offer guys later on unless you’re serious about taking them.
Entringer's offer was late ... so it likely was committable. My guess is that Iowa's record for developing guys ... and our history with underrated DBs resonated with him.

The Michigan offer came late but is legit. Michigan loved his length and natural ability. However, shortly after the offer Michigan (post the OSU game) got two commits from highly rated DBs that had been on top of their board for a long time (one they flipped from Clemson).

With that said...Michigan DID NOT pull his offer. It's fair and true to say Michigan didn't go hard after him...moreover, he was looked at as an athlete where you figure out where to put later (from CB-OLB) when he fills out but if he wanted to come he was a take

So.... how about Entringer? Seem seems like a kid who with some development could be another award winning DB at Iowa and NFL pick.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Reminds me of Geno Stone, but he’s a better athlete.
Geno wasn't as tall or long ... and perhaps not quite the athlete. However, Geno made up for that by how fast he played ... and he knew the game so well ... he could do things you just can't teach.

Entringer has excellent ball skills and arguably a better athlete ... but he's more RAW as a football player. That points to him very much being a developmental player.

However, Entringer is also reputed to be quite smart ... so he'll likely learn an absolute ton from Phil. The question will be how quickly he'll be able to translate what he's learned to the football field.

I think he wanted to be part of that db class. On paper the best I can remember.
Up there for sure ... hopefully it translates to paper better than they have in the past.

Ferentz made a telling comment recently to the press ... about how fan-hype builds expectations around players ... and so the player won't always be adequately patient about his own development. That especially has to be a greater burden and pressure on players who are highly touted/highly rated recruits.

In the past, in Phil's DB room ... it's often the guys who had the biggest chip on their shoulder and the guy who felt he had the most to prove ... those are the guys who often ended up making the biggest impact. I know that the coaches really like Brents ... and I also know that he felt that pressure.

There have been a few other DB recruiting classes that have (almost) comparably excited me ...

'07 DB class: Everson, Bernstine, Morrow, Satterfield, and Sash
Obviously Everson and Satterfield's sexual assault sullied the program and screwed over their own lives ... but both those guys were really doing well on the team ON THE FIELD (if only they could have been better people off the field).

Morrow was always a bit of an enigma ... highly touted but never even pushed for playing time. I know he was behind Sash and Greenwood ... but it never struck me that he embraced the "next man in" mentality. Of course, the environment created by Doyle could have contributed to all of that too.

'14 DB class: Seemed notable largely because we broke into the greater DC/Baltimore metro recruiting scene. Being able to crack the door open at places like DeMatha (and then St. Frances) seemed like it could have been a big deal.

'18 DB class: Moss, Merriweather, Brents, Johnson, Craddieth, Roberts
(perceived by recruiting services ... the "crown jewels" were Johnson, Craddieth, and Brents ... though guys in the class have obviously and definitely made a big impact on the program)

... and then obviously the 2022 DB class has been a "big deal" .. at least on paper. Hopefully those guys have a chip on their shoulder, block out the "outside noise", and make sure that they appreciate the importance of positioning. Phil is an exceedingly detail-oriented guy ... players who don't get down the details aren't guys who end up seeing the field much.

Reactions: millhawk
Entringer's offer was late ... so it likely was committable. My guess is that Iowa's record for developing guys ... and our history with underrated DBs resonated with him.
Agree, and he's already rated as about the highest level of 3*. Very high on the "Ball Hawks" band of freshmen D backs. Did DeJean burn the redshirt this season? That could be 5 talented DBs and potential returners in one class.

If DeJean is as good as advertised, he wasn't staying for 5 years anyways.

Burning his RS is a moot issue, especially considering it was needed with the injuries at CB.
The redshirt thing always gets me. If these guys are as good as we think they'll blow up in year two or three and then move on anyway. How many guys have we had including DB's lately who left a year early to join the league, or at least went into the league as seniors. Their NOT going to be here for year FIVE guys. If their that good, play them and let them progress faster. Most of the guys who have been here five, were because of injuries, and if so better to pocket the "shirt" in case you need it for that....

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Agree, and he's already rated as about the highest level of 3*. Very high on the "Ball Hawks" band of freshmen D backs. Did DeJean burn the redshirt this season? That could be 5 talented DBs and potential returners in one class.

Yes, redshirt burned.

Not entirely a bummer ... it's more valuable for him to learn the defensive system by getting reps with the #2s (and probably the occasional reps with the #1s).

Also, the benefit of seeing actual game reps also helps to acclimate guys to the speed of the game.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Not entirely a bummer ... it's more valuable for him to learn the defensive system by getting reps with the #2s (and probably the occasional reps with the #1s).

Also, the benefit of seeing actual game reps also helps to acclimate guys to the speed of the game.
Your second point is inarguably true, nothing prepares one for live action like live action. It just cannot be simulated or "taught".

Working with the two deeps could happen in winter spring and summer, although not under actual game prep conditions.

The defensive backfield is pretty well stocked.

Your second point is inarguably true, nothing prepares one for live action like live action. It just cannot be simulated or "taught".

Working with the two deeps could happen in winter spring and summer, although not under actual game prep conditions.

The defensive backfield is pretty well stocked.
To my knowledge, during game prep ... he's been prepped as a guy who is expected to be a "next man in." Thus, given all our injuries/illness in the secondary ... I assume that DeJean was getting legit game-prep during the latter half of the fall. That strikes me as pretty valuable. You get to work with the guys ... with them helping you learn how to digest film ... how to go through the "standard" game-prep process. A lot to digest ... but the process has likely already been familiarized to him as a TR FR.

To my knowledge, during game prep ... he's been prepped as a guy who is expected to be a "next man in." Thus, given all our injuries/illness in the secondary ... I assume that DeJean was getting legit game-prep during the latter half of the fall. That strikes me as pretty valuable. You get to work with the guys ... with them helping you learn how to digest film ... how to go through the "standard" game-prep process. A lot to digest ... but the process has likely already been familiarized to him as a TR FR.
He certainly will be better prepared for next season.

so, who do you think plays CASH next year? probably the most nescient question you've heard in a while, but was just curious.

I had heard with Freshmen, if they are good enough to start then you use them that first year otherwise redshirt and get used to the flow of school and the fball life. build yourself up etc....
This coach also went on to say that eligibility preservation is one of the coaches top jobs amongst all they have to do. Sort of interesting to recall these years later..
He had also mentioned regarding QB, that once your first 2 go down you are pretty much running on fumes anyway so why give up 5 schollys to QB when 3 will do--if you had to go with a 4th you would be SOL anyway.
Then you would just pull another player, in our case it could be CDJ to QB. Said a lot of the players playing DB were QB in HS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT