ADVERTISEMENT

Three symbol on the court, all good. On Jeopardy? Fuggedaboutit!

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
As a sensitive society, we've jumped the shark...

"During his on-camera introduction, Kelly made a gesture with his hand that he has since claimed was an indication that he had won three games. He had, on previous episodes, indicated with one finger and two fingers that he had won one and two games, and no reasonable person would have interpreted those gestures differently. However, this gesture was not a clear-cut symbol for the number three. He held his thumb and forefinger together with his other three fingers extended and palm facing inward, and he tapped his chest. This, whether intentional or not, resembled very closely a gesture that has been coopted by white power groups, alt right groups, and an anti-government group that calls itself the Three Percenters. In a public Facebook post that has since been deleted, Kelly states, “That’s a 3. No more. No less.” His public Facebook profile also featured a cover photo of Frank Sinatra making a similar gesture. This was either erased or made private on Wednesday morning, along with hundreds of public comments on his few “Jeopardy!”-related posts. Regardless of his stated intent, the gesture is a racist dog whistle. Some of the first people to notice this were not affiliated with “Jeopardy!” in any way — they were viewers who couldn’t believe what they’d seen, captured it on video, and shared it to Twitter. Among them were people of color who, needless to say, are attuned to racist messaging and not appreciative that the show allowed this symbol to be broadcast."

I read this an knew this would appear on here. There are probably posters on HROT who are "appalled" or "disgusted" by it too.

The people complaining about it are attention-whores. Nothing more, nothing less.

I read this an knew this would appear on here. There are probably posters on HROT who are "appalled" or "disgusted" by it too.

The people complaining about it are attention-whores. Nothing more, nothing less.

I did a corporate training video about 25 years ago and talked about three things you can do to protect yourself from having your information stolen. My natural, reactionary way to show three on my hand is this method so it's on film. Lord help me if that ever surfaces, I'll be run out of town...

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Who woulda thunk that there are that many stupid Jeopardy contestants?

They're also outraged that he replied with "Gypsy" instead of "Roma."

you must admit the way he's doing it is highly suspect. Normally I don't care for these things but that sure looks bad.
Not a three pointer type thing either.

I know, right? We’ve let racists run so rampant that we can’t even hold up 3 fingers anymore. They’re ruining everything.

Crazy world.
9wKrkEZqRaJW1rQFPfhcwE0CBq1ppF7d5uaP3b_5rvs.jpg

Reactions: goldmom and Chuck C
I did a corporate training video about 25 years ago and talked about three things you can do to protect yourself from having your information stolen. My natural, reactionary way to show three on my hand is this method so it's on film. Lord help me if that ever surfaces, I'll be run out of town...
Don't worry. You'll never amount to anything so there's no risk of that happening.

• Haha
Reactions: SeaPA
As for the guy and his gesture, this seems pretty sincere to me. I'm happy to take him at his word:

In a follow-up Facebook post, Donohue added Thursday, "I’m truly horrified with what has been posted about me on social media. I absolutely, unequivocally condemn white supremacy and racism of any kind. People who know me personally know that I am not a racist, but for the public at large it bears repeating: I am not a racist and I reject and condemn white supremacy and all forms of bigotry for the evil they are. It’s shameful to me to think anyone would try to use the stage of Jeopardy! to advance or promote such a disgusting agenda. During the taping of my fourth episode, I was simply raising three fingers to mark my 3rd win. There was nothing more I was trying to indicate. I deeply regret this terrible misunderstanding. I never meant to hurt a soul and I assure you I am no friend of racists or white supremacists."

As for the guy and his gesture, this seems pretty sincere to me. I'm happy to take him at his word:

In a follow-up Facebook post, Donohue added Thursday, "I’m truly horrified with what has been posted about me on social media. I absolutely, unequivocally condemn white supremacy and racism of any kind. People who know me personally know that I am not a racist, but for the public at large it bears repeating: I am not a racist and I reject and condemn white supremacy and all forms of bigotry for the evil they are. It’s shameful to me to think anyone would try to use the stage of Jeopardy! to advance or promote such a disgusting agenda. During the taping of my fourth episode, I was simply raising three fingers to mark my 3rd win. There was nothing more I was trying to indicate. I deeply regret this terrible misunderstanding. I never meant to hurt a soul and I assure you I am no friend of racists or white supremacists."
Sad that this statement had to even be made.

you must admit the way he's doing it is highly suspect. Normally I don't care for these things but that sure looks bad.
Not a three pointer type thing either.
No you really don’t have to admit that. And yes you do care about these things if this is getting you worked up.

Reactions: goldmom
Is the media so desperate to make the public think white supremacists are more than a tiny, disorganized collection of hardcore nutbags that they are willing to cede something as ubiquitous as holding up three fingers over to them?
Don't let them have it.

I often use the last three fingers to signal three from my time playing football. That is the signal for 3rd down. Is third down racist now? We better not be like Canada and have to punt on third down.

Reactions: goldmom
I do not trust anybody who signifies 3 by using the pinky, ring, and middle fingers. They are either weird or have an impure motive.

You sign 1 by raising your index finger. For two, you add the middle finger, like a peace sign. For three, you add the ring finger. If you are signing and counting out to your kid that they have to the count of three to quit sitting on his brother’s head, you sure as hell don’t have time to count one, two, then switch which fingers you use when you get to three.

Last edited:
Reactions: sob5
I do not trust anybody who signifies 3 by using the pinky, ring, and middle fingers. They are either wired or have an impure motive.

You sign 1 by raising your index finger. For two, you add the middle finger, like a peace sign. For three, you add the ring finger. If you are signing and counting out to your kid that they have to the count of three to quit sitting on his brother’s head, you sure as hell don’t have time to count one, two, then switch which fingers you use when you get to three.
philadelphia-pennsylvania-usa-22nd-aug-2015-head-linesman-maia-chaka-F0XGCP.jpg

Not to mention that in Germany they indicate three using thier first two fingers and thumb.

Reactions: Jan Itor
philadelphia-pennsylvania-usa-22nd-aug-2015-head-linesman-maia-chaka-F0XGCP.jpg

Not to mention that in Germany they indicate three using thier first two fingers and thumb.

So referees and Germans. As I said, I do not trust anybody who signifies 3 by using the pinky, ring, and middle fingers. They are either weird or have an impure motive.

Reactions: sob5
I do not trust anybody who signifies 3 by using the pinky, ring, and middle fingers. They are either weird or have an impure motive.

Actually you would have plenty of time because every parent knows that count between two and three can last a looooong time. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: SeaPA
Do this on Jeopardy! and you get national outrage and immediate personal cancellation by the woke mob without ANY consideration of context or another conceivible explanation. Oh, and of course you also get the requisite "retraining" on how, as a white person, you are now permitted to indicate the number 3 with the digits on your hand. God help anyone who has lost their index finger!

However, if you do this on the campaign trail while running as the Dem nominee for POTUS, we get immediate admonition reminding people that context matters and there might be a plausible explanation other than what it appears to be.

These are just 2 of about 100 links to stories, opinion pieces or fact checks that came up on the Google machine which actually bothered to look into the facts of the circumstances of Biden's use of that hand gesture vs. just goin' with the "feels". Unfortunately, this is a degree of latitude that only gets applied selectively as Doodle could find but one such link posted BEFORE Donohue's expla-pology that basically said, "Whoa folks, hold your horses. This was just the effing number 3 for chrissakes." (Doodle is paraphrasing)

Even the Anti-Defamation League was like, "Jezuscrist people. Get a grip. The guy was making the number 3."

And of course, there will be no follow-up "open letter" from those same hundreds of former Jeopardy! contestants apologizing for jumping to a ridiculous conclusion based on no evidence whatsoever. After all, they already got the benefit of displaying their virtuous peacock feathers for all the world to see. Why ruffle them further by, you know, acknowleding they made a mistake. Appparently "their truth" is more important than "THE truth".

That we are even having this absurd conversation is proof of the decline of Western civilization. We've turned into a society of emotionally fragile weaklings who curl up sobbing in the fetal position because of the position of the fingers on someone else's hand. Worse yet, this kind of irrational overreaction to something that, as it turns out was actually NOTHING, only serves to detract from real race relations issues and give folks who could/should be engaged in the topic further excuse to mentally check out and go into "Why bother? We can't win no matter what we do." mode.

Some of us have BIPOC spouses. Some of us are raising BIPOC children. In the Doodle household even they look at this kind of thing and say, "Oh brother. That isn't helping. At all. Not even a little bit. In fact, it's making things worse."

Reactions: DooBi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT