ADVERTISEMENT

Three years after being leveled by Hurricane Michael, Mexico Beach is coming back

I love Mexico Beach. We went through last year and it’s really coming back quickly-and more sturdily for sure.

Good stuff. The stretch from Mexico Beach back to Carrabelle hold big memories for our family. No condo castles, local docks bringing in the bounty, family cottages, blue crabbing during early mornings, rock crabbing and floundering at night…
Started going there 50+ years ago. NO one knew about it - really that whole stretch is still “the Forgotten Coast”.
We had a chance to buy a little two bedroom concrete block house three blocks off the water for $9K in 1975. Woulda coulda shoulda.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Started going there 50+ years ago. NO one knew about it - really that whole stretch is still “the Forgotten Coast”.
We had a chance to buy a little two bedroom concrete block house three blocks off the water for $9K in 1975. Woulda coulda shoulda.
We knew about it. My old man’s crowd was early in the stretch just inland around Sumatra. Even tho they lost a lot of land due to taxes in the depression, (Ed Ball bought it up for his railroad) they moved out into Gadsden County and earned one of the first licenses as a dairy farm in the state.
One of the treasures of my childhood was summer weeks in a cottage looking out at Dog and St. George Islands, crabbing, swimming, chasing coquinas and building sand castles.

Reactions: DMoriarty
I read a more recent article a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find it. $5 billion to rebuild Tyndall AFB to withstand future climate change driven hurricanes.
https://www.yahoo.com/video/destruction-florida-air-force-rebuilds-141415483.html
Tyndall lost some birds during Michael, but I think most were undergoing maintenance or for other reasons not airworthy at the time. I had heard that Tyndall might not rebuild, but if the 35s are coming, obviously there will be a strong rebuild.

Tyndall lost some birds during Michael, but I think most were undergoing maintenance or for other reasons not airworthy at the time. I had heard that Tyndall might not rebuild, but if the 35s are coming, obviously there will be a strong rebuild.
Correct. Most jets were evacuated. The high price tag comes from the fact that 100% of the buildings on base had some damage.

Correct. Most jets were evacuated. The high price tag comes from the fact that 100% of the buildings on base had some damage.
… and the new infrastructure needs to be designed to withstand future weather events. Cool to see that sea oats and strong dune structure are acknowledged as critical.

Reactions: runkpanole
Lahaina will suffer the same fate as Mexico beach - all new construction will be cookie cutter developer abominations.
Yep. Sucks, but longtime landowners slowly building out funky establishments is not often going to happen. Quick commercial type housing/business structures is more likely and they will tend to be cookie cutter.
Americanization continues unabated.

Reactions: BelemNole
We passed thru last month. Everything is new construction. You can still see the damage to the slash pine. It's pretty amazing, you're driving thru pine forest and once you make it far enough west that you're no longer in the protection of the barrier island all the trees end about 25 feet up like someone with a giant weed wacker came thru.
Trees will break just below the live crown and for much of the N Fl pine plantations, 25’ is about right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT