ADVERTISEMENT

Three years after being leveled by Hurricane Michael, Mexico Beach is coming back

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002

img_2981-9f706ee9c66d3d54324b7713f2a467650af3d9b2-s1100-c50.jpg

The rebuilt Driftwood Inn is the first major business to reopen in Mexico Beach since Hurricane Michael.
Greg Allen/NPR

MEXICO BEACH, Fla. — Forecasters with NOAA say the Atlantic Hurricane season which begins today will be busier than usual. It's the seventh year in a row there's been an above average hurricane season. That's especially a concern for people who live in the Southeast and along the Gulf coast.

But the threat of hurricanes, climate change and rising seas is not discouraging development along the coasts. One case in point: Mexico Beach, a town on the Florida Panhandle almost totally destroyed by a hurricane three years ago, is coming back.

It was in October 2018 when Hurricane Michael made landfall near Mexico Beach with 160 mile per hour winds and a 17-and-a-half-foot storm surge. It was a Category 5 hurricane, one of the most powerful storms ever to hit the United States. Hotel owner Tom Wood says when he returned to town a few days later, it looked like the test site for an atomic bomb.

"Everything on the beachside ... was gone," he says. "And what wasn't gone, was so damaged by water. On this place, we had water up to the doorknobs on the second floor."

Eighty-five percent of the buildings in Mexico Beach were destroyed, including Wood's beachside hotel, The Driftwood Inn. Three-and-a-half years later, the mountains of debris are gone and rebuilding is well under way. Next month, the new Driftwood Inn will be welcoming guests. It's the first major business to reopen here since the storm.

Wood is 82 now. He's owned the Driftwood for nearly 50 years and has turned over operations to his daughter, Shawna. They say rebuilding in town was slow to get started but is really picking up.
"Individual houses (are) coming back tenfold," Wood says.

img_0553-58dcbd00a49ce80802caaf668771e6332a331334-s1100-c50.jpg

Shawna Wood and her father, Tom Wood, say their hotel has been rebuilt to be able to withstand 140 mph winds.
Greg Allen/NPR

Shawna Wood adds, "Our bank was the first thing to come back. And then shortly after that, the gas station. But it was probably two years in."

COVID didn't help the rebuilding effort. It made it difficult to find workers, caused supply problems and pushed up costs. Construction here also was put on hold until the town revised its building code. The new Driftwood Inn sits 6 feet higher than the previous one and is built to withstand a Category 4 hurricane. Wood is asked: What would happen if there's another Hurricane Michael, a Category 5 storm?

He considers a moment and then says, "I don't know. We had to do things like put hurricane-proof windows in, had to put pilings down. So, would it hold up? I think it would hold up. But there would be a lot of damage."

Mexico Beach has adopted one of the toughest building codes in Florida. Al Cathey, the longtime mayor, says that decision was controversial. But to qualify for $100 million in federal grants, he says Mexico Beach had to take steps to harden the city and require new construction to be able to withstand hurricane-force winds.

"And we upped [the building code] to 140 mile-an-hour wind," Cathey says. "And we also made some differences in elevation. And you can see just driving through town, our town is taller. It should be."

img_2995-90c4c5d2c5d806b06b3f77332786c87f52d21520-s1100-c50.jpg

Three-and-a-half years after Hurricane Michael, real estate prices in Mexico Beach are as high as they've ever been.
Greg Allen/NPR

The hurricane, and the high cost of rebuilding, drove many older residents out. But real estate agent and longtime resident Kevin Crouse says there are lots of newcomers.

"You know, it used to be called the Forgotten Coast," he says. "I don't think it's so forgotten anymore."

There are two housing developments going up and a third one starting soon. Crouse says the risk of living on the coast in an area that was recently leveled by a hurricane hasn't hurt home values.

"You had some fire sales there in the beginning," he says. "That's no longer the case. Gulf-front lots are going for a million beachside or a half a million. We are right back there at the top of the market, and it's still climbing."

Although the new code requires buildings to be more resilient, the town retained its height and density limits. That rules out high-rise condo buildings and other developments that might begin to erode Mexico Beach's small-town character.

Mayor Cathey says there's been another change since the storm. People on Florida's Panhandle used to think they were unlikely to experience a direct hit from a major hurricane. That's no longer the case.

"When a storm gets in the Gulf, I perk up," he says. "I pay attention. I'm not a slow learner when it comes to storms anymore."

If people on Florida's Panhandle needed a reminder about their vulnerability, they got it last month. A week before the official start of hurricane season, meteorologists began tracking a tropical disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico. It came ashore not far from Mexico Beach.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericram and JMSBFD
We passed thru last month. Everything is new construction. You can still see the damage to the slash pine. It's pretty amazing, you're driving thru pine forest and once you make it far enough west that you're no longer in the protection of the barrier island all the trees end about 25 feet up like someone with a giant weed wacker came thru.

Very close to the eye wall in front of the AFB in a Honda.

EXTREME Eye Wall Footage Inside Historic Hurricane Michael!!!

I was in Mexico Beach this past May. The rebuild was amazing. It was a little hidden gem back in the day on what’s known as the “Forgotten Coast” of Florida. Hope they skate out of any part of this storm. 😵😨

Reactions: noleclone2

img_2981-9f706ee9c66d3d54324b7713f2a467650af3d9b2-s1100-c50.jpg

The rebuilt Driftwood Inn is the first major business to reopen in Mexico Beach since Hurricane Michael.
Greg Allen/NPR

MEXICO BEACH, Fla. — Forecasters with NOAA say the Atlantic Hurricane season which begins today will be busier than usual. It's the seventh year in a row there's been an above average hurricane season. That's especially a concern for people who live in the Southeast and along the Gulf coast.

But the threat of hurricanes, climate change and rising seas is not discouraging development along the coasts. One case in point: Mexico Beach, a town on the Florida Panhandle almost totally destroyed by a hurricane three years ago, is coming back.

It was in October 2018 when Hurricane Michael made landfall near Mexico Beach with 160 mile per hour winds and a 17-and-a-half-foot storm surge. It was a Category 5 hurricane, one of the most powerful storms ever to hit the United States. Hotel owner Tom Wood says when he returned to town a few days later, it looked like the test site for an atomic bomb.

"Everything on the beachside ... was gone," he says. "And what wasn't gone, was so damaged by water. On this place, we had water up to the doorknobs on the second floor."

Eighty-five percent of the buildings in Mexico Beach were destroyed, including Wood's beachside hotel, The Driftwood Inn. Three-and-a-half years later, the mountains of debris are gone and rebuilding is well under way. Next month, the new Driftwood Inn will be welcoming guests. It's the first major business to reopen here since the storm.

Wood is 82 now. He's owned the Driftwood for nearly 50 years and has turned over operations to his daughter, Shawna. They say rebuilding in town was slow to get started but is really picking up.
"Individual houses (are) coming back tenfold," Wood says.

img_0553-58dcbd00a49ce80802caaf668771e6332a331334-s1100-c50.jpg

Shawna Wood and her father, Tom Wood, say their hotel has been rebuilt to be able to withstand 140 mph winds.
Greg Allen/NPR

Shawna Wood adds, "Our bank was the first thing to come back. And then shortly after that, the gas station. But it was probably two years in."

COVID didn't help the rebuilding effort. It made it difficult to find workers, caused supply problems and pushed up costs. Construction here also was put on hold until the town revised its building code. The new Driftwood Inn sits 6 feet higher than the previous one and is built to withstand a Category 4 hurricane. Wood is asked: What would happen if there's another Hurricane Michael, a Category 5 storm?

He considers a moment and then says, "I don't know. We had to do things like put hurricane-proof windows in, had to put pilings down. So, would it hold up? I think it would hold up. But there would be a lot of damage."

Mexico Beach has adopted one of the toughest building codes in Florida. Al Cathey, the longtime mayor, says that decision was controversial. But to qualify for $100 million in federal grants, he says Mexico Beach had to take steps to harden the city and require new construction to be able to withstand hurricane-force winds.

"And we upped [the building code] to 140 mile-an-hour wind," Cathey says. "And we also made some differences in elevation. And you can see just driving through town, our town is taller. It should be."

img_2995-90c4c5d2c5d806b06b3f77332786c87f52d21520-s1100-c50.jpg

Three-and-a-half years after Hurricane Michael, real estate prices in Mexico Beach are as high as they've ever been.
Greg Allen/NPR

The hurricane, and the high cost of rebuilding, drove many older residents out. But real estate agent and longtime resident Kevin Crouse says there are lots of newcomers.

"You know, it used to be called the Forgotten Coast," he says. "I don't think it's so forgotten anymore."

There are two housing developments going up and a third one starting soon. Crouse says the risk of living on the coast in an area that was recently leveled by a hurricane hasn't hurt home values.

"You had some fire sales there in the beginning," he says. "That's no longer the case. Gulf-front lots are going for a million beachside or a half a million. We are right back there at the top of the market, and it's still climbing."

Although the new code requires buildings to be more resilient, the town retained its height and density limits. That rules out high-rise condo buildings and other developments that might begin to erode Mexico Beach's small-town character.

Mayor Cathey says there's been another change since the storm. People on Florida's Panhandle used to think they were unlikely to experience a direct hit from a major hurricane. That's no longer the case.

"When a storm gets in the Gulf, I perk up," he says. "I pay attention. I'm not a slow learner when it comes to storms anymore."

If people on Florida's Panhandle needed a reminder about their vulnerability, they got it last month. A week before the official start of hurricane season, meteorologists began tracking a tropical disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico. It came ashore not far from Mexico Beach.

What has DeSantis been doing for these people for those 3 years?

Just curious.

Not surprising. Those Mexicans are good with their hands. Labor suits them. Many of them just looking for new homes. Think of that grueling trip to cross the border to get to the Home Depot in Port St. Joe. We should help them. Many of them hiding in the shadows due to palm trees not providing much shade. What can we do? Maybe bus them to other beaches like Martha's Vineyard to feel more at home until they get back on their feet? I wonder if their Governor would do something like that.

Reactions: seminoleed
@tarheelbybirth said this wouldn’t happen, that people with the money wouldn’t build on the beach because eventually the stuff will be destroyed.
What is he overlooking?
I did? Interesting. I look forward to seeing you quote me on that. Otherwise, you're lying and you wouldn't want people to know you're lying...would you?

I did? Interesting. I look forward to seeing you quote me on that. Otherwise, you're lying and you wouldn't want people to know you're lying...would you?
We’ve had these discussions multiple times.

The day is coming where those homes in at-risk areas won't sell at all.
Now do the thing when you hem and haw and try to split hairs, while rich people keep building on the coasts inspite of your opinion on the wisdom of that.
You don’t seem to realize what many rich people do, they can’t take the money with them, so many choose to spend it in ways they can enjoy now.

Last edited:
We’ve had these discussions multiple times.

Now do the thing when you hem and haw and try to split hairs, while rich people keep building on the coasts inspire of your opinion on the wisdom of that.
You don’t seem to realize what many rich people do, they can’t take the money with them, so many choose to spend it in ways they can enjoy now.
Does that say what you claim I said? Parse both comments out for us. You'll be the one heming and hawing because you lied and now you're doubling down on the lie. You should stop. You're looking like a liar.

Reactions: BelemNole
Does that say what you claim I said? Parse both comments out for us. You'll be the one heming and hawing because you lied and now you're doubling down on the lie. You should stop. You're looking like a liar.
I see no difference. You think people won’t build on the beach because ‘eventually’ those homes will be worthless.
It’s a misguided approach to the situation, because the people dropping money on them know they’re temporary, just like their window to enjoy them.
They’ll never stop building homes with a view of the waves.
Never.

I see no difference. You think people won’t build on the beach because ‘eventually’ those homes will be worthless.
It’s a misguided approach to the situation, because the people dropping money on them know they’re temporary, just like their window to enjoy them.
They’ll never stop building homes with a view of the waves.
Never.
So you're a liar. Got it. You could just say it. It's either that or you're an idiot who truly can't discern the difference between what you claimed and what I posted. One or the other. I know which one I choose.

So you're a liar. Got it. You could just say it. It's either that or you're an idiot who truly can't discern the difference between what you claimed and what I posted. One or the other. I know which one I choose.
Why do you think the poster below wrote this:
What should be happening is the govt stepping in and zoning those areas at risk as off limits for building

I was the General Contractor for this condo in Mexico Beach. Finished it in 2013. I was quite anxious while watching the drone footage right after the storm. Notice there is no primary dune protecting the coastline.

4c1d4eecfecc4f148800e22271bfb41d

the-vue-of-mexico-mexico-beach-fl-building-photo.jpg

The rooftop pool was a PIA.

6c6b6c25cbbd4ef5aad932a8311b13d7
Nice. Are these before or after pics?

Nice. Are these before or after pics?
After. The building held up very well. The entire parking level was full of sand and we lost a couple of panels on the mansard roof system. One owner left the sliding glass door cracked (I'm sure someone told them to do that to equalize pressure or some nonsense like that) and it blew in and right through that unit. But that was it.

I haven't evaded the point at all. Not once.

Then quit evading and answer me when ask what you mean by this:

“What should be happening is the govt stepping in and zoning those areas at risk as off limits for building”

Do you believe the oceans are rising?
Yes, and coasts are always changing.
They’ve been higher and they’ve been lower.

sealevelchanges.gif

Mankind will move development, but they’re not going to stop development.

Then quit evading and answer me when ask what you mean by this:

“What should be happening is the govt stepping in and zoning those areas at risk as off limits for building”
Why would I need to explain something that is manifestly crystal clear?
Yes, and coasts are always changing.
They’ve been higher and they’ve been lower.

sealevelchanges.gif

Mankind will move development, but they’re not going to stop development.
LOL...and there it is. Denial.

Going through Jackson, Calhoun, Liberty, Gulf, Washington and especially Bay County the week after the storm was the craziest thing I ever saw. I grew up in Bay and spent a lot of time in Tyndall AFB and Mexico Beach. Those places will never be the same, but may end up being better.

Reactions: goldmom and DFSNOLE
Going through Jackson, Calhoun, Liberty, Gulf, Washington and especially Bay County the week after the storm was the craziest thing I ever saw. I grew up in Bay and spent a lot of time in Tyndall AFB and Mexico Beach. Those places will never be the same, but may end up being better.
Seeing the clear path of destruction along I-10 was amazing. Large highway information signs literally twisted like pretzels and huge pine trees snapped over like twigs was very sobering. The trees looked like old photos of the Mt. St. Helens eruption from 1980.

Reactions: runkpanole
This is video from a storm chaser on the 4th floor of a parking garage on Pensacola Beach during Ivan in 2004. At one point, he shows water coming through the mortar joints of the wall and at another the entire building was shaking. I believe this was a Category 3 storm at landfall. Miami Nole Ken, who a few of you know, told a similar story about water coming through the key hole of the lock on his front door during Hurricane Andrew.

Hurricane Ivan Storm Surge Video - Pensacola Beach, Florida

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT