ADVERTISEMENT

**Throwback Thurs... Er, Friday: Northern Illinois 1999**

FlickShagwell

HR Legend
Jun 16, 2003
Omaha, NE
Meant to post this yesterday, but I'm working in Vegas at the moment and well... Vegas.

This was the third Iowa game I saw in person. It was my senior year of high school and Kirk's first win. It was Hayden Fry day. George HW Bush addressed Fry on the old Daktronics jumbo tron, and everyone got handheld fans that said "I'm a Hayden Fry fan" on them. I still have mine, though thousands of people threw theirs on the field throughout the game. You can see this in some of the clips and there are piles of them behind the sideline reporter who interviews Ronnie Harmon and Chuck Hatrlieb during the telecast.

Iowa used a strong second half by the offense and a shutout performance by the defense in earning a 24-0 win over Northern Illinois. The Hawkeye defense held Northern Illinois to 107 rushing yards in the game. The Hawkeyes led 3-0 at halftime (that coming on a Tim Douglass 46-yard field goal) and used a 99-yard drive to increase the margin to 10-0 early in the fourth period. With the Huskies set to move within seven points on a 23-yard field goal attempt, the Hawkeye defense came up with the big play. DB Matt Bowen blocked the kick and LB LeVar Woods picked up the loose ball and rambled 87 yards to give Iowa a 17-0 advantage. Along with the blocked field goal, Tarig Holman had an interception to set up Iowa's first field goal in addition to 8 tackles. DT Anthony Herron had 11 stops and LB Derrick Davison had eight tackles.

The Iowa offense was led by sophomore RB Ladell Betts, who rushed 33 times for 174 yards and one touchdown. His 10-yard run with 7:03 left in the game provided Iowa's final points. Betts set career-highs for carries and rushing yards while breaking the century mark for the third time in his career. Seeing his first action of the season, senior QB Randy Reiners completed 13-18 passes for 145 yards and rushed for a touchdown.

Click here for NIU 1999.

This post was edited on 3/13 12:05 PM by FlickShagwell

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News