ADVERTISEMENT

**Throwback Thursday: Akron 2002**

FlickShagwell

HR Legend
Jun 16, 2003
Omaha, NE
Iowa started the 2002 season with a bang, scoring a school record 37 first quarter points, en route to a 57-21 victory over Akron. Big plays got the Hawkeyes started early with Fred Russell scoring on a 44-yard run and linebacker Kevin Worthy returning an Akron fumble 72 yards for a touchdown to give Iowa a 14-0 lead in the first 3:34. The Hawkeyes racked up 593 yards of total offense, including 376 rushing yards. Defensively, Iowa forced three turnovers and held Akron to 67 yards on the ground.

The Hawkeyes had two runningbacks rush for over 100 yards and score two touchdowns apiece. Junior Fred Russell paced the Hawkeyes ground game with 170 yards on 14 carries and scores of 44 and 35 yards. Sophomore RB Jermelle Lewis ran for 123 yards on 19 carries and collected touchdown runs of one and two yards. Senior QB Brad Banks started his first game as a Hawkeye, and completed 5-8 passes for 125 yards and two touchdowns. Junior WR Maurice Brown was on the receiving end of both Banks scoring strikes of 56 and 36 yards. Brown finished the game with three receptions, 102 yards, and two touchdowns.

Iowa's defense was led by senior LB Fred Barr who collected 13 tackles. Senior FS Derek Pagel and junior SS Bob Sanders both had seven tackles, while Sanders also added one of Iowa's three sacks.

Click here for Akron 2002

I was only 12 at the time of this game. Didn't know that Russell was originally a Michigan commit. What was the story there?

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
I was only 12 at the time of this game. Didn't know that Russell was originally a Michigan commit. What was the story there?
I think grades. Russell ended up at Milford Academy, a prep school back east we used to recruit with some regularity, and we found him while looking at Niko Koutouvides, a linebacker who eventually went to Purdue. Guys who didn't get the grades they needed out of high school could go there and essentially have an extra year of high school, if I'm not mistaken.

Don't quote me on this, but I think Milford was kind of deemed a diploma mill and we had to back off there.
Milford same place Shonn Greene and Markel Smith went to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT