ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday versus Friday

SoFla-Hawkeye

HB Heisman
Nov 12, 2001
I am wondering if there tend to be more Thursday upsets than Friday's games? I would think as a coach I would prefer a Friday game. Gives you an opportunity to point at an upset or two as reason to focus where lose one and you are done. Thanks to ISUcks Fran now has their attention.

Originally posted by SoFla-Hawkeye:
I am wondering if there tend to be more Thursday upsets than Friday's games? I would think as a coach I would prefer a Friday game. Gives you an opportunity to point at an upset or two as reason to focus where lose one and you are done. Thanks to ISUcks Fran now has their attention.
I've always preferred the Friday games for this reason. The problem is that it can go both ways, Davidson players watching lower seeded teams being upset could provide motivation also. In this case, you would think that the upset of Iowa State would help focus the mental approach of the Iowa players more than providing hope for Davidson.

I would sure hope that Iowa doesn't need to see Iowa State get upset to focus them mentally, and I highly doubt that is the case.

Originally posted by SoFla-Hawkeye:
I am wondering if there tend to be more Thursday upsets than Friday's games? I would think as a coach I would prefer a Friday game. Gives you an opportunity to point at an upset or two as reason to focus where lose one and you are done.
That's an interesting question.

It's usually vice-versa. If Thursday is good to your bracket (usually high-seeds and a couple upsets)...then Friday will be the worst day of your life.

And vice-versa, if Thursday is full of upsets....then Friday ends up being rather tame in comparison.

Though there is the occasional tournament where upsets are abound, some days more than others though. So yeah it would seem fortuitous that so many upsets have occurred today.

Originally posted by Clifford C. Clavin:

I would sure hope that Iowa doesn't need to see Iowa State get upset to focus them mentally, and I highly doubt that is the case.
Not trying to suggest that Iowa would not be mentally focused but for the ISU loss, only that the loss should help provide a little extra fuel as they prepare. Its natural. You notice your neighbor nonchalantly reach over to pet that stray dog only to witness the mutt viciously bite the guy and draw blood. You make a mental note and resolve to avoid such a fate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT