ADVERTISEMENT

Tight End U...Thats Right The University of Iowa Football Hawkeyes.

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
News of Noah Fants preseason first team all-american status with Athlon sports broke today. Fant is an incredible talent and the Hawks are very fortunate to have him. We will soon see Fant on the Mackey Award watch list as well. Iowa is stacked at TE and is likely to bring in 2 more solid TE's in Swarm19. Given the programs history with the position and our current recruiting upsurge, Iowa must be in very serious contention for the title of Tight End U. Of course, I already see them as such.
Many programs that consistently use Tight Ends would be drooling at the thought of having TJ Hockenson in their ranks let alone Fant. And to think lowly Debra wanted to put him at DE. Not to say he could not have done well, but this guy is a natural at TE. I look for Weiting and Beyer to make some noise themselves this year and in 2019 step up to continue a strong presence at TE for the Hawks.
One might think recruiting the position would bring higher rated guys, especially if Fant were to achieve AA post season accolades and Hockenson put up a formidable season. Then again, neither of the 2 were highly rated coming in. They are both clearly very talented and good players. I think the staff can bring in the right guys who fit the program and turn them into All Americans and future All Pros. Can you tell I'm getting ultra amped for the season?!? HaHa. Hope Fant and Hock combine for 1500yds and 20 TDs!

Re watching some of Erick All's 20 minute highlight tape has me very high on this kid. I watched it this winter and was very impressed. He shows no fear in some absolutely devastating run blocks, lines up inside and outside and fights hard for receptions and yards. By no means is he afraid of contact. Plays with aggression.

Reactions: mrF6n6
News of Noah Fants preseason first team all-american status with Athlon sports broke today. Fant is an incredible talent and the Hawks are very fortunate to have him. We will soon see Fant on the Mackey Award watch list as well. Iowa is stacked at TE and is likely to bring in 2 more solid TE's in Swarm19. Given the programs history with the position and our current recruiting upsurge, Iowa must be in very serious contention for the title of Tight End U. Of course, I already see them as such.
Many programs that consistently use Tight Ends would be drooling at the thought of having TJ Hockenson in their ranks let alone Fant. And to think lowly Debra wanted to put him at DE. Not to say he could not have done well, but this guy is a natural at TE. I look for Weiting and Beyer to make some noise themselves this year and in 2019 step up to continue a strong presence at TE for the Hawks.
One might think recruiting the position would bring higher rated guys, especially if Fant were to achieve AA post season accolades and Hockenson put up a formidable season. Then again, neither of the 2 were highly rated coming in. They are both clearly very talented and good players. I think the staff can bring in the right guys who fit the program and turn them into All Americans and future All Pros. Can you tell I'm getting ultra amped for the season?!? HaHa. Hope Fant and Hock combine for 1500yds and 20 TDs!

Wieting is definitely the more blocking TE of any of the other TEs. I really expect Shaun Beyer to make some great catches this year as he was considered the best hands guy of the three (Fant, Hockenson, and Beyer) in the class. And let's not forget Drew Cook. Cook could well be the mix and another big mismatch for LBs and DBs. The unknown quantities in our receiving corps could really make for a deadly potent weapon in BF's hands.

I can see why Iowa may want 2 high end TEs in this class. We all want Fant to do well and it is highly likely that the NFL chatter will very favorable for Fant. Hockenson will be a senior and Beyer a junior next year. Wieting will be a senior. Vejvoda may graduate out this year. PT for the younger members in the TE unit. Logan Lee is known to be a good blocker and more than decent pass catch... early PT could come next year. New redshirt policy opens up new pathway for incoming players. Go Hawks!

Reactions: Harbinger273
Wieting is definitely the more blocking TE of any of the other TEs. I really expect Shaun Beyer to make some great catches this year as he was considered the best hands guy of the three (Fant, Hockenson, and Beyer) in the class. And let's not forget Drew Cook. Cook could well be the mix and another big mismatch for LBs and DBs. The unknown quantities in our receiving corps could really make for a deadly potent weapon in BF's hands.

I can see why Iowa may want 2 high end TEs in this class. We all want Fant to do well and it is highly likely that the NFL chatter will very favorable for Fant. Hockenson will be a senior and Beyer a junior next year. Wieting will be a senior. Vejvoda may graduate out this year. PT for the younger members in the TE unit. Logan Lee is known to be a good blocker and more than decent pass catch... early PT could come next year. New redshirt policy opens up new pathway for incoming players. Go Hawks!
Isn't hockenson only a redshirt sophmore this upcoming season?

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Given the attention and double coverage Fant will see this fall, wouldn't be surprised to see Hockesen's stats to be better than Noah's.

Reactions: nu2u
Given the attention and double coverage Fant will see this fall, wouldn't be surprised to see Hockesen's stats to be better than Noah's.

Agree. Especially early in the season. It is going to give the WRs and other TEs a chance to make plays. If they prove they can, the teams can't focus only on Fant and it will open him up later in the year. I also imagine BF will have plays designed specifically to get Fant open.

Agree. Especially early in the season. It is going to give the WRs and other TEs a chance to make plays. If they prove they can, the teams can't focus only on Fant and it will open him up later in the year. I also imagine BF will have plays designed specifically to get Fant open.
Very excited to see what BF draws up in Year 2 as OC. Offense won't look too much different sans Wadley, however Stanley, the WRs, TEs, etc all more comfortable in the system but need to settle on a solid OL, especially C. I did like seeing Fant moved all over last season, from split wide to inline to H-back, motion, etc.

I still feel the talent is definitely upgraded at WR to a point where we'll be 'above average' this fall, which, for Iowa, is a bonus and given the embarrassment of riches at TE (TE's 1-4 basically start at most P5 schools) we should be fine. Excited to see Tracy get some reps at WR and the new RS rule will be interesting to follow both in the staff getting early PT to test out the freshman to rewarding players late in the season/bowl game.

Watch the recently uploaded 2002 Iowa-Wisconsin game.

Iowa ran a jailbreak and go play where they faked the screen to the WR and Banks found Clark wide open for a TD.

Very excited to see what BF draws up in Year 2 as OC. Offense won't look too much different sans Wadley, however Stanley, the WRs, TEs, etc all more comfortable in the system but need to settle on a solid OL, especially C. I did like seeing Fant moved all over last season, from split wide to inline to H-back, motion, etc.

I still feel the talent is definitely upgraded at WR to a point where we'll be 'above average' this fall, which, for Iowa, is a bonus and given the embarrassment of riches at TE (TE's 1-4 basically start at most P5 schools) we should be fine. Excited to see Tracy get some reps at WR and the new RS rule will be interesting to follow both in the staff getting early PT to test out the freshman to rewarding players late in the season/bowl game.
Offense obviosly centers around our Uber productive TE force. They will play off eachother to get eachother open and draw defenders in the pass and run game. I think Lee plays as a True freshman in 2019 and depending on who we get as our second TE in Swarm19 they may have time for development if needed. Todays visitor Maliq Carr is a likely hybrid convert to TE. Has the athleticism to play reciever as he is doing now in high school and the frame to transform into a TE.

Offense obviosly centers around our Uber productive TE force. They will play off eachother to get eachother open and draw defenders in the pass and run game. I think Lee plays as a True freshman in 2019 and depending on who we get as our second TE in Swarm19 they may have time for development if needed. Todays visitor Maliq Carr is a likely hybrid convert to TE. Has the athleticism to play reciever as he is doing now in high school and the frame to transform into a TE.
Will it be hard to beat out Mizzou since his dad is an assistant BB coach there?

Iowa ran a jailbreak and go play where they faked the screen to the WR and Banks found Clark wide open for a TD.
Was it Dallas or Mo Brown? I might be thinking of a different game, however I remember fans screaming for a few years that we need to fake the jailbreak and go deep! When we finally did it, I think about 3 guys were wide open!

Was it Dallas or Mo Brown? I might be thinking of a different game, however I remember fans screaming for a few years that we need to fake the jailbreak and go deep! When we finally did it, I think about 3 guys were wide open!

Both Dallas and Mo were wide open. Dallas got the TD on that particular play.

Great post Harbringer!

QUOTE="Harbinger273, post: 5461982, member: 64235"]News of Noah Fants preseason first team all-american status with Athlon sports broke today. Fant is an incredible talent and the Hawks are very fortunate to have him. We will soon see Fant on the Mackey Award watch list as well. Iowa is stacked at TE and is likely to bring in 2 more solid TE's in Swarm19. Given the programs history with the position and our current recruiting upsurge, Iowa must be in very serious contention for the title of Tight End U. Of course, I already see them as such.
One might think recruiting the position would bring higher rated guys, especially if Fant were to achieve AA post season accolades and Hockenson put up a formidable season. Then again, neither of the 2 were highly rated coming in. They are both clearly very talented and good players. I think the staff can bring in the right guys who fit the program and turn them into All Americans and future All Pros. Can you tell I'm getting ultra amped for the season?!? HaHa. Hope Fant and Hock combine for 1500yds and 20 TDs![/QUOTE]

Reactions: Harbinger273

It would be suicide to double team Fant. Nobody will do that.Fant would run off his guys on every play and your usually very good run game would beat 99% of the rest of us.

Hairball must have jumped into a pool or climbed a tree as he just committed to Michigan. so much for his excitement and waiting to take his visits before committing.

Two tight end threats. Zone, disciplined blocking on the O-line. Demanding to establish the run. Zone defense being somewhat pliable until the red zone.....I love Iowa football. They do it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT