ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Polasek is leaving NDSU for an assistant position with Iowa.

A young former offensive coordinator who may be ready to step up to that position at Iowa. A plan is coming together.

Exactly what popped in to my mind. Brian takes over for dad in a couple years and he moves right up to OC.

So he's the OL coach? Interesting, thought RB but maybe that's Copeland now since he did that at NIU and WR coach will be named in April after NCAA approval?

So he's the OL coach? Interesting, thought RB but maybe that's Copeland now since he did that at NIU and WR coach will be named in April after NCAA approval?
I just got scooped. As I was reasoning things through ... the guy looks to be an up-and-comer. Why leave an OC spot at a power FCS school to go to Iowa? You do that if you want to learn more about what Iowa does BEST ... he wants to get mentored by Ferentz, particularly to learn from the guru about the OL (and to prep to be a head coach). There's no way I saw the guy coming in to only be the RB coach.

Reactions: Hawk_82
Why leave an OC spot at a power FCS school to go to Iowa?

One of the newspaper articles mentioned he declined a paid gig at DIII to be an unpaid intern at FCS, because he wanted to take a shot a higher level. Sounds like he is making a similar step here.

Love the hire.

Sooner, they still have an open position, 2 open positions if you count the extra coach to be approved in April. 3 left + 1 extra - 2 hires = 2 spots open.

One of the newspaper articles mentioned he declined a paid gig at DIII to be an unpaid intern at FCS, because he wanted to take a shot a higher level. Sounds like he is making a similar step here.

Love the hire.
I agree - seems like a great hire.

Great hire since they run a similar system with more emphasis on passing and obviously more creative.

My biggest concern is his recruiting ties. Its not like we pull a lot of D1 skill players from ND, SD, WY, NE, ect....
He has a lot of ties to SEC country. His recruiting possesses the biggest upside from what I have read on NDSU forums and from Iowa writers. My main concern at this point, as Hawk_82 said, is there could be too many cooks in the kitchen. Time will tell!

He has a lot of ties to SEC country. His recruiting possesses the biggest upside from what I have read on NDSU forums and from Iowa writers. My main concern at this point, as Hawk_82 said, is there could be too many cooks in the kitchen. Time will tell!

You can never have to many high-powered minds driving your product/success as long as they all respect (not like) respect each other and understand the hierarchy. You just as well say as long as no one has to big an ego or self-esteem issues...that would be their undoing.

I think this hire is a dream come true for a player like Akrum Wadley. He will find ways to get him the ball in space and has a great offensive mind. BF has the blocking schemes down, we all know that. I just don't know if BF has the ability to know how to let a player like AW flourish. I truly don't think it is that crazy of a statement to say this is the best assistant hire of the year in college football. I am very glad we are bringing in coaches with OC experience to help BF adjust.

Hopefully his outside insight tied with our staff trying to get back to the true Iowa football identity can create some good discussion and improvement. Can you just imagine if we would have had even just "good" offenses over the years? We could be looking at a dynasty in the KF era.

All of this being said, I will not get too excited until I see the results. Great hire and I look forward to seeing him contribute.
If everything goes well (units click and players develop) and everyone stays healthy, I'd like to see Wadley top 1,600+.

My only fear is there could be too many cooks in the kitchen. ultimately if bf needs someone to hold his hand, then maybe he wasn't the best hire for a p5 program.

I have no doubt that player development will be there, good game plans will be in place, but the real question is how will bf do during the pressure of the game getting the right calls on the field. I love this hire but the important thing is everyone needs to know their roll. this can be difficult when facing adversity.
This is one of those examples where KF cant win. He hires a no name, or another friend in the business, and fans bitch because he is hiring yes men and it will be more of the same. He goes the Hayden route and hires guys with some pedigree and ambition and and there are too many cheifs and not enough indians.

If everything goes well (units click and players develop) and everyone stays healthy, I'd like to see Wadley top 1,600+.

The only problem I have with this thought is; if Wadley gets enough carries to get 1600 yards AND he gets hurt, the out cry on here would be deafening. And here is the beauty of that...the people who would blame KF for giving him to many caries would be the same ones who were mad he didn't get enough last year....:D

Such is the nature of the complainer

Reactions: nu2u
In other news, evidently Alabama is going to interview the Patriots current TE coach (among others to interview) for their OC gig.

This news though...I see nothing wrong with the hire, but as with everything Hawkeye football, I will wait until after the season to make any sweeping judgments.

But on the surface, works for me considering how they wore Iowa out that second half.

I wonder if Our Favorite Bison Poster will be here dancing like he was the week before and after the game?

Reactions: ichawk24

I am just taking a guess and thinking BF is the RB coach and Copeland will coach WRs. Either that or they have Brian coach TEs and move Woods to defense and bring in a RB or WR coach whichever one Copeland doesn't coach. I am pretty sure they are going to add a full time assistant to the defense since they have less than the offense.

This is one of those examples where KF cant win. He hires a no name, or another friend in the business, and fans bitch because he is hiring yes men and it will be more of the same. He goes the Hayden route and hires guys with some pedigree and ambition and and there are too many cheifs and not enough indians.

Just for the record, I did not blame KF for any of these hires. I simply stated that having 3 offensive coordinators on 1 team with the current oc being the one with the least experience is a recipe for disaster if not handled correctly.

I hope things work well and we have many great seasons to come

I think this hire is a dream come true for a player like Akrum Wadley. He will find ways to get him the ball in space and has a great offensive mind. BF has the blocking schemes down, we all know that. I just don't know if BF has the ability to know how to let a player like AW flourish. I truly don't think it is that crazy of a statement to say this is the best assistant hire of the year in college football. I am very glad we are bringing in coaches with OC experience to help BF adjust.

Hopefully his outside insight tied with our staff trying to get back to the true Iowa football identity can create some good discussion and improvement. Can you just imagine if we would have had even just "good" offenses over the years? We could be looking at a dynasty in the KF era.

All of this being said, I will not get too excited until I see the results. Great hire and I look forward to seeing him contribute.

I have to go back on this a little bit. I anticipated they would place him as the RB coach, not O-line. Kinda sounds ass backwards now lol but I do think the merit remains the same. His opinions and ideas will be respected regardless of what position group he is formally coaching. Very excited to see what he brings to the table.

Just for the record, I did not blame KF for any of these hires. I simply stated that having 3 offensive coordinators on 1 team with the current oc being the one with the least experience is a recipe for disaster if not handled correctly.

It looks like Polasek is trying to round out his offensive knowledge by coming to Iowa. Here is his background:
- he was a pretty prolific college QB (albeit lower-division ball)
- early coaching background on O was primarily with QBs and WRs/TEs, during that duration, he was a passing-game coordinator
- then he did quite a bit of coaching with TEs, FBs, and special teams (between NDSU and NIU)
- Most recently he was OC and RB-coach

Polasek got his "foot in the door" as it relates to blocking with his TE and FB coaching. However, the OL side of the O seemed to be the only gap in Polasek's background.

If I were to guess, while Polasek learns more about Ferentz's brand of blocking - he'll be joining together with O'Keefe to essentially serve as Iowa's co-passing game coordinators. This background seems to COMPLEMENT Brian's running-game background, rather than conflict with things.

As for O'Keefe, he's a teacher to his core ... thus, I don't see his ego getting in the way. Part of what pissed off Drew Tate about Ken was the fact that Ken would try to treat nearly every situation as a learning moment for Drew ... whereas Drew mostly wanted to get patted on his back and hear a few more attaboys. That emphasis on always trying to push people to improve is totally the hallmark of a good educator.

Frankly, look at Iowa's D in 2015. During that year, Iowa had 3 guys who had DC experience on the staff (Parker, Reid, and Wallace) ... and that collection of ideas and experience only seemed to make the D better.

Now, we're going to see that situation unfold on the O. Brian is a new OC and the offensive room will benefit from the pool of ideas shared between Brian, O'Keefe, and Polasek.

Ya I didnt want to imply that you were, just pointing out the catch falls of these hires in public opinion. Your concerns are a good talking point. I see it this way, if there was one glaring complaint about the program, it was the stale predictable offense. And the notion that KF controls that. I think its good that they are bringing in these guys. Shake things up a bit. Of course it could lead to confusion as well. At this point I would rather have a little chaos over the standard line.

My only fear is there could be too many cooks in the kitchen. ultimately if bf needs someone to hold his hand, then maybe he wasn't the best hire for a p5 program.

I have no doubt that player development will be there, good game plans will be in place, but the real question is how will bf do during the pressure of the game getting the right calls on the field. I love this hire but the important thing is everyone needs to know their roll. this can be difficult when facing adversity.

Wow. You must think KF and BF are total morons.

giphy.gif

He was the guy I was hoping to get as OC.
I'm wondering if there is a big picture plan here.....KF has to be getting tired. BF is obviously the safest bet to takeover as Head Coach, as it has appeared for some time that he's being groomed.

-Give Brian the OC position, bring in KOK to help along with QB development and the offense in general.
-Also now they bring in Polasek, whom I believe will be the heir to the OC position in the future. Probably in no more than a few years, once Brian takes over.

To me it looks as if they are building a future coaching staff and wanting to make it as smooth as a transition as possible.
I have no problem with BF getting some mentoring while at Offensive helm, it can only help him and the entire team.

We wanted better offensive production headed by competent coaching, well here it is. The defense will be what it is, and if we can see some REAL improvement on offense, we may become quite the force.

Reactions: Ree4
The Polasek interview had to be somewhat odd, don't you think? Kirk starts off by saying "Welcome back to Iowa City, you, er, the Bison sure kicked us up and down the field this past September, how would you like the join the staff?"
As stated, the more I read and learn about him, the more I like it. NDSU has done a lot more with less over the years and is a de facto FBS team IMO. Strong Midwest recruiting, power football, creative, tough, etc, etc

KF (HC) > BF (OC) > Polasek (OL)

20??
BF (HC) > Polasek (OC) > Raih (OL)

I don't see Raih coming home at that low a position. If he's a viable candidate ?? years from now, it'd surely be coordinator at worst.

I'm wondering if there is a big picture plan here.....KF has to be getting tired. BF is obviously the safest bet to takeover as Head Coach, as it has appeared for some time that he's being groomed.

-Give Brian the OC position, bring in KOK to help along with QB development and the offense in general.
-Also now they bring in Polasek, whom I believe will be the heir to the OC position in the future. Probably in no more than a few years, once Brian takes over.

To me it looks as if they are building a future coaching staff and wanting to make it as smooth as a transition as possible.
I have no problem with BF getting some mentoring while at Offensive helm, it can only help him and the entire team.

We wanted better offensive production headed by competent coaching, well here it is. The defense will be what it is, and if we can see some REAL improvement on offense, we may become quite the force.

I wonder if Kirk also had the "long view" in mind with the hires. If Barta was willing to be "on board" with a coaching succession .... then it definitely could be a way to keep Polasek motivated and loyal. If he ends up being the "fits like a glove" fit that many of us are anticipating ... then it would definitely be attractive for him to imagine that he could eventually be inheriting the OC spot of a power 5 team before things are all said and done.

I don't see Raih coming home at that low a position. If he's a viable candidate ?? years from now, it'd surely be coordinator at worst.
Huh? Right now he's only an OL assistant (not even the OL coach). On the pro-level, the game is far more about breaking down tape, working on strategy, and implementing strategy. He's learning about things from the cerebral perspective ... but he hasn't exactly been learning how to teach players from scratch. If Raih is going to learn how to teach and develop players, he's going to need to get some experience at the collegiate or high school level first.

What you're suggesting is akin to having a somewhat inexperienced professional scientist who is used to working in the lab with colleagues ... and then all of a sudden asking them to teach absolute noobs about science. Some people are capable of making such an extreme transition ... however, most have to develop the teaching experience first before they can pull it off.

Here is a devils advocate question for you...if everyone in Hawkdom, thinks this is a good hire, then is it really a bad one? And more so, if it is indeed a bad one, will the heavy handed critic be back espousing their "initial" displeasure or will they admit, they too were wrong.....
Do you advocate for the devil often?

I am guessing More money. The head coach is staying put till an ideal job comes up. In the meantime most of the assistants are barely making 100k. Good move for him. Pretty good fit though.

From an NDSU insider.

I am guessing More money. The head coach is staying put till an ideal job comes up. In the meantime most of the assistants are barely making 100k. Good move for him. Pretty good fit though.

From an NDSU insider.
Also, given all the oil revenue in North Dakota, the cost of living is likely disproportionately high compared to other Midwestern states. Thus, not only would he earn more money as an assistant at Iowa - but the cost of living wouldn't be a big shift either. On top of all that, working with Ferentz on the OL will be a definite resume builder.

how many more OCs are we gonna get bf?
That's what I was thinking. Stack the offensive staff with enough OCs and Brian will end up looking like a great OC. We're paying BF 400K to learn on the job from his subordinates. Seems legit.
Either that or KF has decided to keep his hands out of the offensive huddle (finally) and actually hire some capable staff members.

That's what I was thinking. Stack the offensive staff with enough OCs and Brian will end up looking like a great OC. We're paying BF 400K to learn on the job from his subordinates. Seems legit.
Either that or KF has decided to keep his hands out of the offensive huddle (finally) and actually hire some capable staff members.

Howdy Scott, hows the cross country team....hard to believe you could ever motivate anyone, I'm not sure you've ever had a pleasant inspirational thought on here ever. You must be a joy to be around with all that bitterness.

Reactions: Ree4 and LGEND24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT