ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Polasek is leaving NDSU for an assistant position with Iowa.

Just for the record, I did not blame KF for any of these hires. I simply stated that having 3 offensive coordinators on 1 team with the current oc being the one with the least experience is a recipe for disaster if not handled correctly.

I hope things work well and we have many great seasons to come
Wouldn't there be 4 counting KF?

Coach Ferentz has often hired coaches who had broader responsibilities at a lower level. Philbin had been an offensive coordinator. O'Keefe had been a head coach. Greg Davis had been a head coach. So I don't find it unusual that these hires would also have coordinator experience.

Reactions: Ree4 and cmhawks99
Coach Ferentz has often hired coaches who had broader responsibilities at a lower level. Philbin had been an offensive coordinator. O'Keefe had been a head coach. Greg Davis had been a head coach. So I don't find it unusual that these hires would also have coordinator experience.

Stop trying to make KF look good, there are clearly guys on here that don't like it. They want to pretend like he is an idiot and thats that...:D

Reactions: Ree4
You can never have to many high-powered minds driving your product/success as long as they all respect (not like) respect each other and understand the hierarchy. You just as well say as long as no one has to big an ego or self-esteem issues...that would be their undoing.

Hayden had many high-powered minds early on. It worked pretty well! And many went on to have their own great careers! This should prove to fun!

Reactions: Ree4
I am not always happy with the state of the program but I must say I really like what they have done with this staff. I have no imperical proof it's going to work but my first impressions are I like all the hires and promotions. Something feels like we got the right guys to move forward.

Huh? Right now he's only an OL assistant (not even the OL coach). On the pro-level, the game is far more about breaking down tape, working on strategy, and implementing strategy. He's learning about things from the cerebral perspective ... but he hasn't exactly been learning how to teach players from scratch. If Raih is going to learn how to teach and develop players, he's going to need to get some experience at the collegiate or high school level first.

What you're suggesting is akin to having a somewhat inexperienced professional scientist who is used to working in the lab with colleagues ... and then all of a sudden asking them to teach absolute noobs about science. Some people are capable of making such an extreme transition ... however, most have to develop the teaching experience first before they can pull it off.
The idea put forth was for Raih to join an unknown number of years into the future. I've heard Raih is up for a promotion in GB this offseason, and by this unknown future date could well have been promoted again, since he's so highly regarded as a rising star. My assertion is based on this projected career track.

While I agree that doing and teaching are not the same, I do not agree with your analogy. College athletes are not absolute noobs about how to play the game, nor is Raih an absolute noob at the teaching part. I would go so far as to say he's taken on a coaching viewpoint since his days as a backup player here.

The idea put forth was for Raih to join an unknown number of years into the future. I've heard Raih is up for a promotion in GB this offseason, and by this unknown future date could well have been promoted again, since he's so highly regarded as a rising star. My assertion is based on this projected career track.

While I agree that doing and teaching are not the same, I do not agree with your analogy. College athletes are not absolute noobs about how to play the game, nor is Raih an absolute noob at the teaching part. I would go so far as to say he's taken on a coaching viewpoint since his days as a backup player here.
Raih definitely seems to be a little on the fast-track in the NFL. However, he still doesn't even have position-coach experience. Even if we're talking 5 years in the future - we're not looking at him being overqualified for being the OL coach. The OL coach at Iowa is arguably the most important position coach on the O.

Compared to NFL players who are considered, for all intents and purposes "finished products" ... college players are noobs. In the high school game, most aspects of play are set. You call a play, players are supposed to be at certain places at certain times ... irrespective of what they see the D do. If play breaks down ... then that is why you typically put your absolute best player at QB. Then at least you still have a chance to "out athlete" your opponent. Mind you, there are some places where the football culture is so crazy that the high school game has elevated above what I just described ... however, it typically takes really good coaches to teach those kids the intricacies of reading the opponents and making the requisite adjustments. There is a reason why so many high school teams try to run some variant of the spread-option O. Even though such play does involve some reads ... you're typically only reading one or two players ... it's practically a brain-dead read.

In the college game, there can be a huge leap in the cerebral part of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT