ADVERTISEMENT

Time to be outraged: dickweed reporter doesn't think Bo Jackson would average 350-400 rushing yards per game in today's NFL

This reporter has obviously never played Tecmo Bowl.
giphy.gif

It would be interesting to see. With the way the NFL has evolved—more passing, more 2 back systems I think he’d struggle. But one thing I learned is never doubt Bo!

Reactions: artradley
If Bo had stayed just to football and not had the hip injury, Emmitt Smith would be looking up to Bo as the all time rushing leader. The guy was a freak.

I did love the KC Royal highlight there where Bo defies gravity and walks along the wall

How old are you son?

Which part of this wasn’t true? That Bo Jackson literally did play fullback for Marcus Allen? That he would have a similar career to Derrick Henry?

Bo Jackson escapes any sort of criticism because he played two sports and got hurt. He would have been a good pro bowl running back. He wouldn’t have rewritten the record books. He’s not Barry Sanders or Greg Jones.

His place in history is based entirely on conjecture.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Which part of this wasn’t true? That Bo Jackson literally did play fullback for Marcus Allen? That he would have a similar career to Derrick Henry?

Bo Jackson escapes any sort of criticism because he played two sports and got hurt. He would have been a good pro bowl running back. He wouldn’t have rewritten the record books. He’s not Barry Sanders or Greg Jones.

Hey now, he averaged an unprecedented 86 YPG in his freakish 1989 season.

And the reason fewer teams run the ball now is because of the size and athleticism of NFL DL and LB, but surely Bo would dominate these guys in today’s league.

Reactions: mnole03

Derrick Henry is the most apt comparison in today’s running back corps. If Bo and emmitt smith swapped drafts and he only played football and he didn’t have the freak injury that went undiagnosed until his hip was necrotic, I do believe he would hold the all time rushing record. I would say the same for Barry sanders. Back in his prime there were only a few things as electric as Bo with the ball in his hands. Jordan on a breakaway heading to the rack going up for who knows what freaky dunk he would pull off, or Jordan with the ball during crunch time. Barry sanders doing whatever crazy juke he would do. Lawrence Taylor on an obvious passing down. Neon Deion returning a punt. That’s about it.

The thing about Bo now vs Bo then...he wouldn't be bigger, faster (well, OK, he might be faster) and more athletic than every single defensive player in the NFL now. Reminder, he was listed at 6'1/227. There are LBs bigger than that now that are every bit as athletic as Jackson.

Also, as big of a freak as he was, the closest he had to a full season, 1989, he had 173 carries, 950 yds (5.5 per carry) and 4 TDs. Now, would he have been better focusing solely on football? Absolutely. But would he be as good now as he was then? I doubt it. Defenses and defenders (on average) are better now.

Reminder, I've been a Raiders fan my whole life and probably watched him play as many, or more, NFL games as anyone here. Loved Bo...he wouldn't be now what he was then.

Reactions: mnole03
He also took down an entire batting cage with his first swing in front of a Yankees scout!
I wonder when he broke his first bat over his knee he wondered whether the bat or his femur would win. In retrospect, little did we know his femur (and neck) would go undefeated.

• Haha
Reactions: TailgateTom
The thing about Bo now vs Bo then...he wouldn't be bigger, faster (well, OK, he might be faster) and more athletic than every single defensive player in the NFL now. Reminder, he was listed at 6'1/227. There are LBs bigger than that now that are every bit as athletic as Jackson.

Also, as big of a freak as he was, the closest he had to a full season, 1989, he had 173 carries, 950 yds (5.5 per carry) and 4 TDs. Now, would he have been better focusing solely on football? Absolutely. But would he be as good now as he was then? I doubt it. Defenses and defenders (on average) are better now.

Reminder, I've been a Raiders fan my whole life and probably watched him play as many, or more, NFL games as anyone here. Loved Bo...he wouldn't be now what he was then.
The problem I have with your analysis is denying that he would also be bigger and faster. If he was subjected to the same lifting and nutrition requirements he would have been even freakier. He also would have benefited from better medicine saving his hip sooner. He also would benefit from softer rules hamstringing defenders opening up the field, making him even more dangerous using his ridiculous speed in space.

I wonder when he broke his first bat over his knee he wondered whether the bat or his femur would win. In retrospect, little did we know his femur (and neck) would go undefeated.
I'm confident, based on his experiences prior to that, he was well aware the bat stood no chance. I mean, this is a guy who likely snapped full grown oak branches over his knee as a child to fashion a rudely crafted bow in order launch whittled railroad tie arrows at big game!

Reactions: Tenacious E
The problem I have with your analysis is denying that he would also be bigger and faster. If he was subjected to the same lifting and nutrition requirements he would have been even freakier. He also would have benefited from better medicine saving his hip sooner. He also would benefit from softer rules hamstringing defenders opening up the field, making him even more dangerous using his ridiculous speed in space.

Size, maybe. I have a hard time believing that his speed would increase much. And if he was bigger, it's far more likely he'd actually lose a bit of speed. Heck, he might have been faster then if he'd have been 10 lbs lighter.

He would also be getting hit by guys that are far bigger, faster and stronger than the people hitting him then. They would close the edge quicker than they did then. Defenses are far more complicated than they were then.

What a jerk. He also wonders: "The bigger question is whether Jackson could still dominate if he played today? That’s not something we can really prove, unfortunately." I'm sure the 6'2 235 pound Heisman trophy winner with a 4.1 40 who scorched NFL defenses before his hip injury would just be okay.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bo-jac...ards-a-game-if-he-played-today-153624828.html
People don't think Walter Payton could have played either which is insane.

Not to mention that he never even lifted weights. He was pure raw talent. If he worked in the weight room like they do now he would dominate. Imo he was in the top 3 all time with Barry Sanders and Sweetness.

Size, maybe. I have a hard time believing that his speed would increase much. And if he was bigger, it's far more likely he'd actually lose a bit of speed. Heck, he might have been faster then if he'd have been 10 lbs lighter.

He would also be getting hit by guys that are far bigger, faster and stronger than the people hitting him then. They would close the edge quicker than they did then. Defenses are far more complicated than they were then.
And the offenses are more wide open stretching the field and opening running lanes. In a speed game he was the fastest there has ever been in the NFL, or at least right there. You can't tackle what you can't touch. Also, he isn't going down easy on contact against smaller defenders. He would rack up huge yards before and after contact. Obviously not 350 game that was a joke, but he would be just as dominant now if not more so.

ADVERTISEMENT