ADVERTISEMENT

Time to end America’s “geriatric oligarchy” of politicians

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016

It seems like 2024 might be a time in history like the 60s where we turn a new page on America. America as a whole is done with these old farts ruining our country. Time to elect humans that aren’t near death and that have fresh ideas!

I don't know. I feel like Grassley has more to give.

And I say that acknowledging Franken is not young, but still shifts the age, energy, and ideas positively.

Reactions: wcbtee

It seems like 2024 might be a time in history like the 60s where we turn a new page on America. America as a whole is done with these old farts ruining our country. Time to elect humans that aren’t near death and that have fresh ideas!
I get it, you hate everything about boomers. If the younger generations would get off their dead asses and vote they could do something about it.

I get it, you hate everything about boomers. If the younger generations would get off their dead asses and vote they could do something about it.

It seems a bit unfair to put the transition entirely on younger generations. Why can't more older generations also recognize that what's best involves a handoff of authority and responsibility to younger generations?

Something must have changed somewhere along way when voting was considered a civic duty to if you want to stop getting screwed by the silent generation and boomers get to the polls.

Not everything. Big fan of my parents and the music. Some good policies have come about but as someone mentioned above as a generation the silent generation and the older boomers need to know when to hand off the baton for the betterment of the country. It’s embarrassing running out these old trash pandas that will be dead soon.

Do you really want a upper 70s grandpa on uppers and lower 80s grandpa who is in visible mental decline duking it out to be the leader of America again?

Serious question. Have we ever had leaders as old as we do now?
Going by available pictures and images, I believe old leaders has been the standard more often than not. Have to take into consideration the gains in life expectancy since 1776.

I would have hoped the images of veggie Strom Thurmond being wheeled in and out of the Senate floor for votes would have disgusted voters as much as it did me back in the day. Guess I'm wrong. Old money & power holds on to it until the bitter end. Can't take it with you.

Unfortunately, we could get a three-peat on that if Joe B. and Diane Feinstein finish out their terms and Grassley gets reelected and has a stroke between now and January 2029.

Reactions: goldmom
I've said it before, find an age and set it. 75 works for me. And, this should extend to all federal jobs including judges. Give some advisory capacity roles so expertise and knowledge can be used, but leadership roles need to have a firm cut off.

Iowa is about to elect a 90 year old. That is beyond insane. Even more so given that this 90 year old still supports Trump.
I'm an Iowan and I don't understand it.

The only possible explanation is that "we" (not me) fear change. Incumbents have normally done very well in Iowa.

I've said it before, find an age and set it. 75 works for me. And, this should extend to all federal jobs including judges. Give some advisory capacity roles so expertise and knowledge can be used, but leadership roles need to have a firm cut off.
Maybe 75 at the end of the term you're trying to win.

I'm 67. My parents aged and passed away. My wife's (no pics) parents aged and one passed away, one in a nursing home. I have friends in their 70's and many in their 60's. Uncles, aunts, etc in their 80's.

I'm not a scientist, but there is no doubt in my mind that age is an impairment. The age when it becomes a problem is different for different people, but mental acuity, physical stamina, judgment, forward thinking, etc. all take a hit as you age.

We need our best people doing these jobs! We need term limits and age limits!

That’ll never happen, term limits on all those type of positions is the only way it could happen, and that’s extremely unlikely. Eventually it will all come crumbling down, it always does. Just enjoy the fact that we are unlikely to see any kind of catastrophic event in our lifetime. Probably the best it’s going to get for the human race, we won the lottery babay!!!!

Let's be honest, there isn't a generation in this country right now that isn't completely useless as a whole
Uh, the world has continued to spin despite all the doom and gloom. Elder millennials/Gen X are doing just fine running the show. I got lots of gen z kids working for me, some really great kids with lots of potential. Not everyone is a lazy mooch bro.

I'm an Iowan and I don't understand it.

The only possible explanation is that "we" (not me) fear change. Incumbents have normally done very well in Iowa.

It's called laziness. Voters fail to be critical of their incumbents, while fearing what change to an "unknown" would be - especially if that unknown is from (gasp) an alternate political party.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
It's called laziness. Voters fail to be critical of their incumbents, while fearing what change to an "unknown" would be - especially if that unknown is from (gasp) an alternate political party.

I would call it apathy over laziness.

Reactions: ichawkeye
The moment I heard COVID was especially dangerous for old people was around the same time I no longer supported shutdowns. Hard to say if this was causation or correlation

A problem is that when you get rid of the incumbent, you as a state lose the influence that person had, and your state moves to the bottom of the influence pole, and your state doesn't get the pork thrown into bills that your old guy knew how to get for your state.

The boomers have lost their shit and the "give us free college money" people are not a good fit either. Give it to the trailing Xers. We will handle it like we always do, with a healthy dose of skeptisim and apathy.

The boomers have lost their shit and the "give us free college money" people are not a good fit either. Give it to the trailing Xers. We will handle it like we always do, with a healthy dose of skeptisim and apathy.

Hard pass

Term limits with NEVER happen. Being a senator/congressman is a golden ticket.
Would anyone limit their own job with money and power if you could continue to get more of each as you keep getting reelected?

Anyone that says "yes" is a future politician.

ADVERTISEMENT