ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Step Up

Quick tip.... if you mention the op by name you are pointing the finger at the op.

I don’t want to make you angry
I don’t intend to offend you

I know I said I wouldn't respond, but I will respond to this. I was using the word you as a general term for all the people that come on here and call people names when they don't agree with their own way of thinking instead of pointing out there differences and having a discussion. That is why at the end I told Outback that I wasn't pointing a finger at just him, because I realized that using the word you did make it look like I was going after him only with my statement.
I realize that some of these topics can be real divisive and controversial, but name calling in my opinion comes off as real immature and juvenile.

I enjoy reading these discussions on here, and seeing the differing points of view, but it just gets old and ridiculous when the name calling starts over a topic not everyone is going to agree on. No one on here knows everybody's circumstance and what is driving them to feel the way they do. So in ending continue the discussion but please try to stop the name calling. HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL!!

Still not one reason why College Football needs to be played... of course some immature remarks but I expected that obviously because like I said most of the posters here are immature, selfish kids who have never had to face adversity more than an occasional paper cut . One poster said there would be long term negative consequences because other teams are playing , like what a few lost recruits? Do you really think one year of no football is going to destroy a conference that had existed for over 100 years, is that midwestern kid really going to go play for Florida because of a missed football season , cmon get real . Someone said fear? There is a huge difference between fear and hiding in the basement and common sense. Yes take precautions do the essential things like going to work with precautions, go buying grocery’s with precautions .. those are essential activities right ! But going out to bars and restaurants are not essential , playing football is definitely not essential . Still waiting for one reason to play college football .
You don't understand. These people don't care whether other people die because they are a-holes and they don't care whether they die because they've got sh*tty jobs and no one who cares about them. Watching 18-22 year olds play football and then jumping on a message board to get into pissing fights with their pathetic counterparts at Iowa St. / Nebraska is all they've got. That's why we need to play football.

I really don’t care how anyone votes or even who wins the election, however the fact is that Donald Trump is the one trying to get B1G football going. For that I am grateful.

How can they be so blind, so obtuse? Because they didn’t think about the end game and damage being done to their athletic departments and the people who are a part of them.

If the President's would have decided to play, they would have been accused of caring only about money. They voted not to play so "they didn’t think about the end game and damage being done to their athletic departments and the people who are a part of them."

The President's of the B1G Universities are pretty smart people. I don't think they watched a TV commercial and then came in to vote. This was probably as tough a decision as they have ever had to make.

I don't know the right answer, but I do know it isn't simple.

Reactions: LinusPF
Very well written! This is exactly how I feel. I would love nothing more than to be able to sit down whether it be at home or at Kinnick and watch a game. But it's not the end of the world ....it will be back. The hardest part for me is reading all of the comments from the selfish and spoiled fans that are only worried about themselves......their only concern is wanting to watch the Hawks play. They remind me of a little kid laying on the floor kicking and screaming throwing a temper tantrum! I love the comparison to WW2 .....there was a day when people pulled together and did what needed to be done that was in the best interest of everyone. We are no longer able to put on our big boy pants and sacrifice when the situation calls for it we just whine, complain and place blame!
We did pull together; it was called "Flattening the Curve", now that it was successful there are those among us, mostly liberals that have decided we cannot get back to normal until we have a vaccine. It is isn't just about watching a football game, those games buck up the economy of the entire state. The effects of COVID are negligible to most people, especially young people. Your self righteous assertion that wanting them to play is selfish and childlike is disgusting. Suicide rates are up 42% since this started, kids are not in schools in most places, small businesses have been lost. Why do you only care about yourself? And by the way, I tested positive, and I was fine, my wife tested positive and was sick for one day.

If the President's would have decided to play, they would have been accused of caring only about money. They voted not to play so "they didn’t think about the end game and damage being done to their athletic departments and the people who are a part of them."

The President's of the B1G Universities are pretty smart people. I don't think they watched a TV commercial and then came in to vote. This was probably as tough a decision as they have ever had to make.

I don't know the right answer, but I do know it isn't simple.

Definitely not simple but some transparency would have gone a long way in this situation.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
For those with your reasoning that anxiety, depression and suicide numbers are the reason College Football should be played you just crazy or ignorant ... if not having football causes you anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts then maybe there was an underlying problem you should be addressing .

of course before you say it, you say you see a correlation between isolating and shutting down because of Covid19 ... well these numbers have went up consistently for our country as a whole and the reason it had is because people are just not as strong as there parents or grandparents were. They understood loneliness, fear and isolation and they dealt with it. Most of the younger people today are lost if they lose their cell phones or cannot get what they want right away...if course when they are asked to do something not quite the norm than they have issues.

We did pull together; it was called "Flattening the Curve", now that it was successful there are those among us, mostly liberals that have decided we cannot get back to normal until we have a vaccine. It is isn't just about watching a football game, those games buck up the economy of the entire state. The effects of COVID are negligible to most people, especially young people. Your self righteous assertion that wanting them to play is selfish and childlike is disgusting. Suicide rates are up 42% since this started, kids are not in schools in most places, small businesses have been lost. Why do you only care about yourself? And by the way, I tested positive, and I was fine, my wife tested positive and was sick for one day.

Are you just not paying attention , the curve is not flattened not even close we are still losing 1000 plus a day and there will be over 250,000 deaths by Christmas . The economy will survive, it might take years but so did the Great Depression. Yes suicide and depression numbers are up but they have been going up for years and it’s not all due to Covid19. The reason for this is that younger people today have not been raised or have not acquired the coping skills needed to overcome obstacles or change. Covid19 requires these coping skills, the ability to adapt , to change for the greater good... no different then what people were expected to do in WW2 or during the Spanish Flu but younger people and some older people today do not have the skills needed .

Are you just not paying attention , the curve is not flattened not even close we are still losing 1000 plus a day and there will be over 250,000 deaths by Christmas . The economy will survive, it might take years but so did the Great Depression. Yes suicide and depression numbers are up but they have been going up for years and it’s not all due to Covid19. The reason for this is that younger people today have not been raised or have not acquired the coping skills needed to overcome obstacles or change. Covid19 requires these coping skills, the ability to adapt , to change for the greater good... no different then what people were expected to do in WW2 or during the Spanish Flu but younger people and some older people today do not have the skills needed .
Who is this guy? Quite the troll persona someone has conjured up. Well done, whoever you are.

Still not one reason why College Football needs to be played... of course some immature remarks but I expected that obviously because like I said most of the posters here are immature, selfish kids who have never had to face adversity more than an occasional paper cut . One poster said there would be long term negative consequences because other teams are playing , like what a few lost recruits? Do you really think one year of no football is going to destroy a conference that had existed for over 100 years, is that midwestern kid really going to go play for Florida because of a missed football season , cmon get real . Someone said fear? There is a huge difference between fear and hiding in the basement and common sense. Yes take precautions do the essential things like going to work with precautions, go buying grocery’s with precautions .. those are essential activities right ! But going out to bars and restaurants are not essential , playing football is definitely not essential . Still waiting for one reason to play college football .
The subject matter of this thread reveals just how toxic football fans can be and reminds us how we ended up in this mess as a society. I miss football just as much as the next person, but it didn’t have to be like this.

At one point, I wish some of you clowns could just respect others opinions and stop the damn bickering. It is bad enough not having football, but we don't need to replace it with garbage.

Are you just not paying attention , the curve is not flattened not even close we are still losing 1000 plus a day and there will be over 250,000 deaths by Christmas ..........................
It most certainly is flattened. It was to keep hospitals from being swamped and that has happened. It wasn't to stop death entirely.
I posted elsewhere about studies that strongly suggest (from Havard no less) the PCR test for Covid is using too many cycles to refine the results. These tests are mostly repeated 40 times which gives a much higher amount of Covid virus left in the results. The gist was that if you stopped at 30 cycles it would be much more meaningful and way fewer (by 90%) positives. Yes the deaths are still there, but most people could continue life without having to stay home for weeks from a false positive.

such a bullshit thread OP. Just stay in your basement, or Care Center, and let the rest of the world go on. The virus is going to do what it does. The whole shut down thing was to not overrun the hospitals, and it's not.
This is now all political, and if you think it's not, then obviously you're a Biden bro.
So good luck living in hell for the next 4 years, because Donald J Trump will be our POTUS again for the next 4 years!
Love it!

I can think of millions of reasons for college football to be played. Four of them are the sports cancelled by U of Iowa after this academic year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT