ADVERTISEMENT

Tip of the cap - Kenyon & Co. 1993 Michigan v Iowa

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
Just watched this game for about the 12th time. Just a classic game! First home game after the tragic death of Chris Street, Players and fans with heavy hearts, but showed up that day.

Wonderfully talented Hawks v the amazing talent of Michigan's Fab 5+ (great talent off the bench).

Hawkeyes swarming all over Michigan for 40 minutes. It looked like 6 Hawks v 5 Wolves at times. Freshman Kenyon Murray, Seniors Val Barnes and Acie Earl showed the Wolves that the team playing hardest wins in the B1G.

Kenyon was amazing! He blocks Chris Webber on a 15 ft jumper late in the game, and then makes an incredible steal on an inbounds pass very late in the game! Val Barnes 25 points, even missing 4 FT's in the closing minutes. Russ Millard - a redshirt freshman that hadn't played much, but was amazing. Kevin Smith, James Winters, Jay Webb - 100% effort and delivered again and again. Dr Tom's hockey line changes left the Wolves gasping for breath.

Kenyon - if you read this - your heart must have been bursting for those 10 days (and longer). Chris's death, OT win at MSU, home victory v Michigan. Just incredible lows and highs in a short period. I'm simply amazed at the guts that team showed after losing a very special teammate.

Kudos to that team. We will never forget #40. 🙏

p.s I hate Jalen Rose. 👎

Greatest crowd of any event I've ever attended
You are right about that. Every seat was full and that crowd was LOUD from start to finish. People who say CHA is a morgue must not have been at that game. It was deafening. And when they delivered the game ball to the Streets after the win I thought the roof was going to come off. People were not in a hurry to leave after this one either.

Truth.

That game was loud. I remember it being so loud at times in the student section that, although I was yelling as loud as I could, I could not hear the sound of my own voice. Tremendous game, and very emotional.

You are right about that. Every seat was full and that crowd was LOUD from start to finish. People who say CHA is a morgue must not have been at that game. It was deafening. And when they delivered the game ball to the Streets after the win I thought the roof was going to come off. People were not in a hurry to leave after this one either.
We all left a little something on the floor that day. To me, win felt almost empty because of the grief the team still felt after the game. We fans did what we could to cheer on the team, but the healing the team needed had to come later.

Sometimes I think about what Chris would be doing today. Senator? Head Coach? Maybe 1 or 2 of his kids wearing black & gold right now?

Nile Kinnick and Chris Street. Lives tragically cut very short.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT