ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Hockenson is “That guy”

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003

Against the Giants, T.J. Hockenson is 'that guy' for the Vikings offense​

T.J. Hockenson set a career high and a franchise record for tight ends with 13 catches, producing 109 yards and two touchdowns.​

Jim Souhan
merlin_69477201.jpg

If the Vikings hold onto the second seed in the NFC playoffs, they can thank T.J. Hockenson and the trade that brought him to Minnesota.

If the Lions miss the playoffs, they can blame that deal.

Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah's intradivisional theft — downgrading a couple of draft picks for a premier tight end — is one of the most obvious reasons the Vikings are 12-3 and continuing to win close games.

On Saturday, Hockenson set a career high and a franchise record for tight ends with 13 catches, producing 109 yards and two touchdowns.

The Vikings wouldn't have beaten the Giants 27-24 on Saturday at U.S. Bank Stadium without him. They wouldn't have won at Washington, where he had nine catches for 70 yards after two days of practices in Minnesota, without him. And they might not have beaten the Patriots without him.

What's even more remarkable is that Hockenson has rapidly passed a pair of fine receivers, Adam Thielen and K.J. Osborn, to become Kirk Cousins' second-favorite target.

In seven games with the Vikings, Hockenson has 52 catches for 444 yards and three touchdowns. In Thielen's past seven games, he has 29 catches for 274 yards and three scores. Osborn, in that stretch, has 27 catches for 289 yards and two scores.

"Just wait until we get Irv back," Jefferson said.

The Vikings are hoping that tight end Irv Smith Jr., their second-round pick in 2019, will return from an ankle injury before the playoffs. A healthy Smith would give Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell myriad options and possible formations in what is already a diverse offense.

"I don't think you ever know when you go into that huddle — or go into a game — who's going to be that guy, because we have so many great guys," Hockenson said. "That's truly a winning offense and an offense that can be scary. That's why I'm super appreciative to be here."

His teammates still express amazement that he learned the playbook in a couple of days. Saturday, he scored on two quite different plays. On the first, he bent a route to the back of the end zone and into open space, where Cousins found him.

The second catch was more difficult. Hockenson beat two defenders down the left sideline and snatched the ball off the helmet of Giants safety Julian Love, managing to hold the ball and keep his feet in bounds as the players rolled over him.

Osborn reached him first and mimed applying CPR. Considering that the Vikings are now 11-0 in one-score games, they might want to consider going into the stands and doing the same for their fans.

"It really has been a whirlwind," Hockenson said. "I mean, truly, it's been pretty crazy and I don't think I'm going to really realize where I'm at and what I'm doing and what this team is doing until after the season. You can't step back — you just have to live in it, keep rolling, and continue building bonds with these guys.

"Every week I'm here, I'm starting to build friendships with some guys. This locker room is truly incredible."

Hockenson has drawn raves for his talent and intelligence. Saturday, he had little choice but to display toughness. In the fourth quarter, he went up for a pass and got flipped, landing hard on his shoulder. He didn't miss a series.

"That didn't feel great, by any means," he said. "But I'm good. I mean, they put me through the protocol or whatever, but it wasn't my head."

The NFL tries to enforce parity with its reverse-order draft, meaning the worst teams get the highest picks. The Vikings haven't made a pick in the top 17 in the draft since 2015.

They acquired Hockenson, the eighth pick in the 2019 draft, by trading second- and third-round selections for the tight end and two fourth-round picks.

That looked like a deft piece of pickpocketing at the time of the deal. After his performance against the Giants, it looks like grand, felonious larceny.

Honestly looking at these pics, I'm not a huge fan of the all whites that some have thrown out there for alt unis. Don't think we need to follow Michigan either who goes that route. Maybe once every couple of years we wear the all Golds, (yellow) that we wore at home I believe? I thought those stood out as a top alt uni...

Reactions: Bishop1971
Detroit wasn't using Hockensen very well, but does seem stupid to trade a 1st round 8th pick for a late 2nd and 3rd round from Minnesota.

This. Can you believe there were some Lions fans celebrating the trade and thought they got a great deal?

If that’s the organizational culture in Detroit and the attitude as a whole, then it becomes very clear why the Lions are the Lions.

What is completely glossed over here...is that Hockenson is a huge add to their running game also. He was always a better blocker, especially early in his career...than Fant and dare I say Kittle too. Kittle, was a devastating blocker his last few years at Iowa...but he's evolved into the "do it all" tight end in the NFL. I think Hockenson is in that mode now and will challenge him and Kelce for the best TE in football...now that he's in a creative offense that utilizes their talent.

What is completely glossed over here...is that Hockenson is a huge add to their running game also. He was always a better blocker, especially early in his career...than Fant and dare I say Kittle too. Kittle, was a devastating blocker his last few years at Iowa...but he's evolved into the "do it all" tight end in the NFL. I think Hockenson is in that mode now and will challenge him and Kelce for the best TE in football...now that he's in a creative offense that utilizes their talent.
I think that is the difference between tj and fant. Similar stats but tj is simply better.

T.J. Hockenson set a career high and a franchise record for tight ends with 13 catches, producing 109 yards and two touchdowns.​

Jim Souhan
merlin_69477201.jpg

If the Vikings hold onto the second seed in the NFC playoffs, they can thank T.J. Hockenson and the trade that brought him to Minnesota.

Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah's intradivisional theft — downgrading a couple of draft picks for a premier tight end — is one of the most obvious reasons the Vikings are 12-3 and continuing to win close games.

On Saturday, Hockenson set a career high and a franchise record for tight ends with 13 catches, producing 109 yards and two touchdowns.

The Vikings wouldn't have beaten the Giants 27-24 on Saturday at U.S. Bank Stadium without him. They wouldn't have won at Washington, where he had nine catches for 70 yards after two days of practices in Minnesota, without him. And they might not have beaten the Patriots without him.

What's even more remarkable is that Hockenson has rapidly passed a pair of fine receivers, Adam Thielen and K.J. Osborn, to become Kirk Cousins' second-favorite target.

In seven games with the Vikings, Hockenson has 52 catches for 444 yards and three touchdowns. In Thielen's past seven games, he has 29 catches for 274 yards and three scores. Osborn, in that stretch, has 27 catches for 289 yards and two scores.

The Vikings are hoping that tight end Irv Smith Jr., their second-round pick in 2019, will return from an ankle injury before the playoffs. A healthy Smith would give Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell myriad options and possible formations in what is already a diverse offense.

"I don't think you ever know when you go into that huddle — or go into a game — who's going to be that guy, because we have so many great guys," Hockenson said. "That's truly a winning offense and an offense that can be scary. That's why I'm super appreciative to be here."

His teammates still express amazement that he learned the playbook in a couple of days. Saturday, he scored on two quite different plays. On the first, he bent a route to the back of the end zone and into open space, where Cousins found him.

The second catch was more difficult. Hockenson beat two defenders down the left sideline and snatched the ball off the helmet of Giants safety Julian Love, managing to hold the ball and keep his feet in bounds as the players rolled over him.

Osborn reached him first and mimed applying CPR. Considering that the Vikings are now 11-0 in one-score games, they might want to consider going into the stands and doing the same for their fans.

"It really has been a whirlwind," Hockenson said. "I mean, truly, it's been pretty crazy and I don't think I'm going to really realize where I'm at and what I'm doing and what this team is doing until after the season. You can't step back — you just have to live in it, keep rolling, and continue building bonds with these guys.

"Every week I'm here, I'm starting to build friendships with some guys. This locker room is truly incredible."

Hockenson has drawn raves for his talent and intelligence. Saturday, he had little choice but to display toughness. In the fourth quarter, he went up for a pass and got flipped, landing hard on his shoulder. He didn't miss a series.

"That didn't feel great, by any means," he said. "But I'm good. I mean, they put me through the protocol or whatever, but it wasn't my head."

The NFL tries to enforce parity with its reverse-order draft, meaning the worst teams get the highest picks. The Vikings haven't made a pick in the top 17 in the draft since 2015.

They acquired Hockenson, the eighth pick in the 2019 draft, by trading second- and third-round selections for the tight end and two fourth-round picks.

That looked like a deft piece of pickpocketing at the time of the deal. After his performance against the Giants, it looks like grand, felonious larceny.
Great info. I didn't know about the vikes not getting a higher draft pick up. Felonious larceny is right!!!!

Jim Souhan
merlin_69477201.jpg

Absolutely beautiful post spot on love it -

Detroit wasn't using Hockensen very well, but does seem stupid to trade a 1st round 8th pick for a late 2nd and 3rd round from Minnesota.
Detroit not wanting to pay TJ after his rookie contract. The 2 TE's the Lions have left seem at least serviceable.

I heard the Hockenson trade was the final piece of the draft day deal that allowed the Lions to move up and pick WR Williams from Alabama in the first round, mainly so GB wouldn't get him. GB then took Christian Watson instead. In the long run, that probably works out well for everybody in the division (except the Bears) now that Watson and Rodgers are starting to work together.

Next year, when WR Williams is fully healthy and comfortable in their offense, the Lions receiving corps may rival the Vikings.

Sometimes teams don’t realize the good things they have until they don’t have it any longer.
And other times teams realize what they have been missing when someone capable shows up but at 6-2 since that trade including a W over Vikings I don't think too many lions people are too distraught over things. Early results indicate a win/win

They traded a player in his fourth year who was set to hit free agency after next season who the obviously didn't believe they were going to extend for a number they were comfortable with. Getting what they got for a guy with his level of production at the position he plays is somewhere between what would be expected to high.

ADVERTISEMENT