ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Hockenson: Named to 2020 Pro Bowl. In 2020, Had 3rd-most yards (723) & 4th-most receptions (67) among all NFL Tight Ends

From ESPN.com:

On Thanksgiving Day, TJ was taken off on a cart with a nasty ankle injury.

Today the Lions placed him on Injured Reserve. He won't play again this season.

It is not known yet whether TJ will need surgery.

From the Detroit Free Press:

"Probably hard to summarize (his) entire year right now as an entirety, but certainly I think a guy that was consistent from Day 1, someone that worked really hard," Head Coach Matt Patricia said. "I think he improved as the spring and training camp and the season went on. I think he worked really hard at his task and understanding differences between the college game and the pro game and some of the different looks that he was going to see, especially after early in the season when I think obviously a lot production and a lot of stats early in the year."

Hockenson, the No. 8 pick in the draft, set an NFL record for most receiving yards by a tight end in his debut
, when he caught six passes for 131 yards and one touchdown in a 27-27 tie against the Arizona Cardinals.

He was much less productive in the next 11 games, catching 26 passes for 236 yards and one touchdown, but Patrica said he was impressed with how Hockenson was able to wear multiple hats for the Lions as receiver and blocker.

The FULL Story:

97.1 is the Radio home of the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Pistons & provides up-to-the-minute Detroit sports coverage.

This is their take:

Matt is a beat reporter for the Buffalo Bills. He compares the TE the Bills selected in the 3rd round to TJ (8th overall pick).

Can you guess which stat line is Dawson Knox & which is TJ Hockenson?

ELq7QCiWsAAErxz

ELq7QCiW4AAwt7V

YTD stats for TJ, Fant & Kittle:

FD: Receiving First downs

...Targets..Rec..Yds...Ave...TD...FD
TJ...59......32....367...11.5....2.....19 (12 games)
NF...62......37....548...14.8....3.....23 (14 games)
GK..92......73....888....12.2....4.....43 (12 games)

EH5WC8OXUAArx-A

Thursday, Jan 30, 2020

George Kittle thinks Hockenson has 'a lot of great days ahead of him'

nqhbd0jltxg430sunv07.png

Tim Twentyman

MIAMI – George Kittle remembers the first time he knew tight end T.J. Hockenson was going to be a really good football player for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Kittle was a senior in 2016 when Hockenson first got to Iowa as a freshman.

"T.J. is a hell of player," Kittle said at 49ers media availability Wednesday night in Miami. "I remember his first summer workouts, him and Noah (Denver rookie first-round pick Noah Fant) came in and it was the very first 7-on-7 drill and he completely Mossed a guy, ripped the ball right out of his hands and I was like, 'Well, good thing I'm graduating because he'll probably take my spot.'"

Kittle went on to catch 22 passes his senior year at Iowa for 314 yards and four touchdowns. He was a fifth-round pick by San Francisco the following offseason, and has gone on to become one of the best tight ends in the NFL in just his third season. He caught 85 passes for 1,053 yards and five touchdowns this season.

Hockenson redshirted at Iowa that 2016 season, but went on to have a terrific college career, and was the No. 8 overall pick by the Detroit Lions in 2019. He played in 12 games this past season before an ankle injury ended his rookie season prematurely. He finished with 32 receptions for 367 yards and a couple scores.

"He's incredibly gifted, and he knows that," Kittle said of Hockenson. "He's got a lot of great days ahead of him. Playing tight end as a rookie is tough. I wasn't very special my rookie year. It's not just X's and O's, you have to grow up a little bit, too."

As a rookie in 2017, Kittle caught 43 passes for 515 yards and two scores playing in 15 contests.

Kittle has stayed in touch with Hockenson throughout the years. In fact, when asked about Hockenson Wednesday night, Kittle smiled and said he was just talking with Hockenson before he started his media responsibilities that night.

"He's 21 or 22 years old. I figured it out when I was 25," Kittle said. "So, he's a little behind me, but I think he's going to figure it out just fine."

LINK: https://www.detroitlions.com/news/g...ockenson-has-a-lot-of-great-days-ahead-of-him

The Lions season-opener from this season couldn't have been any more similar to last season. A common theme anyway.

Last year at the Arizona Cardinals, the Lions are up 24-6 after Hockenson catches a TD pass with 14 minutes remaining. At that point, Hockenson had caught 4 passes and the touchdown. In the last 14 minutes of that game, there was only 1 pass intended for Hockenson and they blow the 11-point lead and the game ended up in a 24-24 tie.

Against the Bears in their 2020 opener, with just under 14 minutes to go, as the Lions lead 23-13, Hockenson catches his 5th pass of the game, after having caught another for a TD. After that, the Lions didn't send another pass in Hockenson's direction, and end up blowing the lead and lose 27-23.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT