ADVERTISEMENT

"To Kill a Mockingbird" DSM Civic Center.....

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
The play is coming to DSM the last week of August. The Civic Center has 2700 seat capacity. The play is running 6-8 performances. Right now (April 4, 2022) according to the Civic Center's seating chart and box office, 80-85% of the seats are SOLD already! You check out their on-line seat availability and about the only seats available are the last 8-10 rows in the house....for all the shows! I find that incredible.....almost 5 months before the performance date! Tickets run from $40-105/ ticket depending on date and seat location.
Now according to a nearby "secondary ticket" vendor website, they are selling their tix from $60-600/ticket! (Who in the hell would buy a ticket from a secondary vendor?) More inquisitively, I wonder how many show tix this vendor actually controls?
I am impressed that the Civic Center has sold this many tickets for a show that far down the road....I am just curious how many tix the CC sold to "patrons" and how many tix were sold in bulk to "secondary vendors"?

I have a college buddy whose only source or income is flipping tickets. He gets on to those websites when the tickets drops and buys as many as possible. He would be who you would be buying from as a secondary vendor. Hamilton in Omaha paid off hos house payment.

I have a college buddy whose only source or income is flipping tickets. He gets on to those websites when the tickets drops and buys as many as possible. He would be who you would be buying from as a secondary vendor. Hamilton in Omaha paid off hos house payment.
I understand the purpose of secondary vendors......but damn....the price difference astounds me! Especially for a play like "TKM" that has been around awhile.......I wonder how many tix the house "sells" to secondary vendors? The secondary vendor business is just an inflationary tool....but everbody makes up their own minds how to spend their money.....

The play is coming to DSM the last week of August. The Civic Center has 2700 seat capacity. The play is running 6-8 performances. Right now (April 4, 2022) according to the Civic Center's seating chart and box office, 80-85% of the seats are SOLD already! You check out their on-line seat availability and about the only seats available are the last 8-10 rows in the house....for all the shows! I find that incredible.....almost 5 months before the performance date! Tickets run from $40-105/ ticket depending on date and seat location.
Now according to a nearby "secondary ticket" vendor website, they are selling their tix from $60-600/ticket! (Who in the hell would buy a ticket from a secondary vendor?) More inquisitively, I wonder how many show tix this vendor actually controls?
I am impressed that the Civic Center has sold this many tickets for a show that far down the road....I am just curious how many tix the CC sold to "patrons" and how many tix were sold in bulk to "secondary vendors"?
It was just announced for Omaha next season and I'll prob go.

Nah… I just wanna see if Tom Corlione plays Boo Radley on stage.
the-godfather.gif

Reactions: HawkMD
It was originally scheduled for last July and was postponed. The tickets people bought back then would still be good. That is why there aren’t many available now.

I'm locked and loaded. Probably one of my favorite books ever.

Reactions: HawkMD
No Pic is a Patron. Yes it cost money but you get good tix before they go on sale to the public at face price.

Toss in free booze and food in the non public lounge. For her also is the advantage of a private crapper in the lounge and avoid the lines during intermission.

No idea the cost....she pays it and I give her a ride and am her +1.

Kind of figured all DSM Hroters were also +1s to Patron wives.

No Pic is a Patron. Yes it cost money but you get good tix before they go on sale to the public at face price.

Toss in free booze and food in the non public lounge. For her also is the advantage of a private crapper in the lounge and avoid the lines during intermission.

No idea the cost....she pays it and I give her a ride and am her +1.

Kind of figured all DSM Hroters were also +1s to Patron wives.

contact number for said patron?

DSM punches WAY above its weight for civic center shows. Chelsvig (sic?) is a much bigger dog than we have a right to expect.

DSM punches WAY above its weight for civic center shows. Chelsvig (sic?) is a much bigger dog than we have a right to expect.
Several years ago there was a great article in the NY Times or New Yorker mag about this.....DSM has a "state of the art" theater in the Civic center, DSM is easy travel from NYC (according to the article), DSM is "affordable" for traveling show troops, CC can accommodate most anything Broadway has to offer...venue size is "perfect" for travel shows in particular to "work out travel bugs" and DSM audiences are receptive to Broadway shows......

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Does it, though? It's pulling in pretty much the same thing as Omaha, as they are similar markets.

Hades Town was very good this past weekend to what seemed to be close to sold out Sunday matinee. The DMCC, in general, puts on some very good shows.
I believe DMCC is top 10-15 in the country as far as venues for traveling Broadway troupes.

Hades Town was very good this past weekend to what seemed to be close to sold out Sunday matinee. The DMCC, in general, puts on some very good shows.
We’ve had season tickets for Civic Center broadway for many years now and Hades Town was one of, if not my favorite show I’ve seen at Civic Center. Really enjoyed it.

There is a pretty large season ticket holder base, which probably is the bulk of the To Kill a Mockingbird sales. I’m guessing since so many people read the book and it has been hot on broadway has also helped individual sales.

ADVERTISEMENT