ADVERTISEMENT

To show just how important the 2023 recruiting class is and producing similarly at least every other year:

I wish I had more time to spend on this chat board and make posts before we get to page 7. It is why I don't post as often as I might otherwise. One part of the whole "injury free" discussion that gets tossed out a lot referring to PSU and degrading Iowa as having a culture that causes more injuries. I don't want to over-simplify or ignore the many complex causes of various injuries, but one main aspect that I have never seen raised has to do with the quality of the athlete.
Top p4p wrestlers who start out as better all around athletes can far more easily protect themselves and not place themselves in those situations where some injuries happen. When you can dominate your opponents, I contend that you will have far fewer injuries.
That being said, anyone can get injured. Things happen. Body parts fail.
Recovery after workouts is important. More injuries tend to happen when physically fatigued and technique slips a bit.

One minor example from my own experience is illustrative. My coach started wrestling the same day I did as a freshman in HS. He didn't know technique, so couldn't teach it. I had poor technique with TDs. My shots did not penetrate and I would be stretched out under opponents. My long arms and strength prevented counters, but there was a lot of avoidable strain on my shoulder that caused a chronic pain that increased through each season. When I got to college with an experienced coach I learned better technique, and have been blessed to have been injury free and no problems since.

When you start out at the top, your path is easier. When you start out lower on the ladder, more work, more hours of practice, more taking ill-advised chances, etc. are required to make it to the podium- things that increase the possibility for injuries.
So, what you’re saying, is that steel makes better joints than aluminum?

ADVERTISEMENT