ADVERTISEMENT

To show just how important the 2023 recruiting class is and producing similarly at least every other year:

Ok here’s the thing Carl will sell his soul to the Devil to win. If you couldn’t see it for how he left isu to kicking Jenkins to the curb for Taylor, to recruiting over AAs. Whether Dean came to him or not I really don’t care anybody with any kind of conscience says sorry I all ready got my guy. I could go on and on but it’s kinda like trying to have a decent conversation with a liberal when they know I am a Trump supporter.
Desantis 2024!

Desantis 2024!

Trump to prison, 2023!
giphy.gif

Funding for collegiates no longer has to go thru just wrestling clubs. Even if you had the detail, that is just one piece of the puzzle. You'll never see the whole pie anymore with NIL.
The 990’s and their lump sum of ‘salary’ is a decent sized number.

Reactions: Inthecircle
It all depends on how you detail the expenses on the tax form. On the HWC filing, all expenses are lumped under "other expenses". On the NLWC filing there is more detail.
The HWC had $1,000,000 in revenue for 2020 and $800,000 in expenses. The NLWC had $1,600,000 in revenue and $1,160,000 in expenses including salaries. Frankly, I would say that based on the volume of activities, the NLWC filing looks pretty benign.

Can we agree it's okay for RTCs to pay their resident athletes and their coaches well? Nobody wants another Foxcatcher scenario (which is another PA legacy that I have to live with), right?

Isn't there a much bigger unitemized number taken off the HWC books each year? Have you looked at their most recent 990? I don't think anyone is casting aspersions on the HWC, are they?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing some more of your background. One's sports' allegiances are often influenced by those around them in their youth.

There wasn't much talk of university allegiances in my household, as my parents were simply HS graduates and Pittsburgh pro sports were in their heyday. Of my Uncles and Aunts, only my Dad's eldest brother went to University (Oklahoma A&M) and his next elder brother to seminary. I'm told in those post-depression days that was standard protocol for a Catholic family.

With seven sibling, the eldest's best opportunity was attending the USMA. There was no saving for college educations, as the money went to the basics. One of the two lunches I ate at 98lbs was free via government assistance.

I didn't attend Pitt, because of the cost and my desire for some distance between myself and home. Three other siblings attended PSU branch campuses for two years. My father rooted for Pitt over Penn State despite (or in spite) of his four children. That's the kind of guy he was.

My uncle was a parish priest in Aurora, Ill before he retired and eventually passed in a home in Des Moines, IA.
Nice story(s).

Hayden Fry's first year was my senior year. He was the master psychologist. Most people know about the pink locker rooms for visitors. However, on the other side of the equation he wanted to change the 20 straight year losing mentality of Iowa. One thing was to change our uni's. So he called the Steelers who were dominant then and gained approval to copy their Uni. Looked good then and now.

My Mom got her Masters at Pitt. She and her family had no money, so she must have gotten a scholly of some sort and of course worked to pay her way. Great school and football program with Dorsett and company during those days. I too like to see Pitt wrestlers do well now

Can we agree it's okay for RTCs to pay their resident athletes and their coaches well? Nobody wants another Foxcatcher scenario (which is another PA legacy that I have to live with), right?

Isn't there a much bigger unitemized number taken of the HWC books each year? Have you looked at their most recent 990? I don't think anyone is casting aspersions on the HWC, are they?
Sure. Helps USA wrestling

I'm not in the least worried about you guys having great post grads compared to us. What we are doing works with the dough available and currently for our collegiates

You have to understand… The political posts that led the “delete this thread,” movement couldn’t gain any traction until opposition was encountered. Only then would any complaint be lodged.
Ah, the Grand Plan.
Wow! Handsome!

(That better?) ;)

Reactions: el dub
So you think now the world is better ? I'm 48 and I think it was better when fights happened over shootings. But that's just me. I also don't eat 2 lunches
It's probably the 98lbers who carry. JS.

Fair fights are one thing. If you've ever been jumped crossing a Duquesne bridge in broad daylight on the way to work, you'd realize your options are limited. It's a far cry from meeting up after school for a pre-arranged event surrounded by peer witnesses.

I've experienced both. There are better ways to resolve disputes or one's lot in life.

Last edited:
The political posts that led the “delete this thread,” movement couldn’t gain any traction until opposition was encountered.
Yep. Just have to engage the right poster with an @ on the right issue, let the "bickering" ensue, and then offended parties will report posts.

@west2east I'm 60. The guns of the house in which I grew up in were in a glass / wooden gun cabinet in my parent's bedroom, a room we were forbidden to enter. My own today are in a safe. Included in both (albeit at different times) is the same small caliber relic pre-serial number semiautomatic that my Dad had a permit to carry to make nightly bank deposits. My 75 year old WVa friend tells me he used to put his squirrel rifle in the coat closet of his middle school.

What may have changed over time is the willingness to use a gun to take the life of another outside of military action (excluding organized crime turf wars).

Fist fights over guns to resolve a conflict is a false choice. When one feels their life is not valued, they are probably more likely to use a gun on another. A gun is a great equalizer. And a person who thinks they've got nothing, may think they've nothing to lose. Pretty sure there are song lyrics to that effect.

@west2east I'm 60. The guns of the house in which I grew up in were in a glass / wooden gun cabinet in my parent's bedroom, a room we were forbidden to enter. My own today are in a safe. Included in both (albeit at different times) is the same small caliber relic pre-serial number semiautomatic that my Dad had a permit to carry to make nightly bank deposits. My 75 year old WVa friend tells me he used to put his squirrel rifle in the coat closet of his middle school.

What may have changed over time is the willingness to use a gun to take the life of another outside of military action (excluding organized crime turf wars).

Fist fights over guns to resolve a conflict is a false choice. When one feels their life is not valued, they are probably more likely to use a gun on another. A gun is a great equalizer. And a person who thinks they've got nothing, may think they've nothing to lose. Pretty sure there are song lyrics to that effect.
I don't hunt, but have nothing against it.

Tree Stands do seem like BS to me though. Any hunters have a good reason for them? I get why they work, just seems to eliminate any chance for the animal

Tree Stands do seem like BS to me though
Depends:

If one is hunting over a food plot or bait -> BS.

If one is picking one of a million trees in a national forest like, Monongahela, in Dolly Sods high country, hanging a portable packed stand, and hunting with a bow -> not BS.

If you set aside the risk of falling, hunting from a tree stand is safer from a modern firearm ballistic travel standpoint, as one is typically aiming downward. For this reason, some urban/suburban areas require hunting from a tree stand.

In GA one can drive deer with dogs. That seems to me to be more BS than hunting from a treestand.

(Just my opinion. Not trying to convince anyone. 😉)

Last edited:

I am not too sure what you are trying to say, or even which side you are on? It is not a GUN it is a WEAPON. Watch FULL METAL JACKET. There are hundreds of things that can be used as a weapon. Guns were not used during 9/11!

Where I live, in the not so distant past. Our HS had a Rifle team as did many others. Pictures of students carrying their rifles to school, and shooting in the Range(which was later turned into the Wrestling room by my Father after they canceled Rifle) you can still find. Banners on the gym walls of various schools honor Rifle Team champions.

Just thinking about it makes me shake my head and wonder what in hell went so completely wrong so quickly? A town down the road named after an Indian Tribe whose school name is CHIEFS, is under attack to remove the name for GODs sake!!!

There is lack of respect, lack of decency, lack of morals, values, and common sense. I always like to hear different stories from different parts of the country. Some of the things that you all do, sometimes make me laugh, sometimes make me envy, sometime make me wonder how that is even possible!?!?

Many of the freedoms you have, I do not have were I live here on Long Island NY. To just get a Hand gun for example is a whole process. FORGET about a full carry permit! We use to ride mini bikes,dirt bikes, even trikes and Quads 30 or so years ago. All pretty much gone here.

I do understand the non-political idea here on these pages, but be VERY CAREFUL is my warning. What you are seeing in some places, is what some are trying to spread to you. NYS, by area, is RED as is most of the county. Look where the blue is, look what the laws are in those areas, look at the way of life!!!

Does not matter where you stand, and what you believe. As long as you support our Constitution, laws, and understand liberty and FREEDOM!

I am not too sure what you are trying to say, or even which side you are on?
I was responding directly to a @west2east post.

I was trying to say that neither fist fights nor guns should be used to settle disputes. I had ready access to a gun as a youth, but I also was raised to value human life. At the same time, I was taught not to point a gun at anything that I didn't intend to kill. And so, if I carried a handgun with a permit to carry, I would only so if was willing to take a life. People with ready access to guns who believe they have less to live for may be willing to take another's life for far less cause than myself. I agree the environment in which someone was raised, including morals instilled, is a factor.

Last edited:
which side you are on?
Are you talking 2nd amendment and only two sides?

At one point in time I was a dues paying member of both the NRA and the ACLU. Now I am a dues paying member of neither.

After studying the laws of my state, MD, pertaining to use and potential registration of inherited relic handguns, including those applicable to semiautomatic ones that predate serial number laws, I chose not to voluntarily register the handguns I inherited from my father. I realize it is an additional crime to use an unserialized handgun for an unlawful purpose, but it may be used for lawful purposes on my property.

Amending the constitution, or not, is probably be the best process to put the 2nd amendment arguments to bed. Let Democracy and the Constitution work as it was designed.

(I hope I wasn't tricked into getting the banhammner and this thread deleted.)

Last edited:
Are talking 2nd amendment and only two sides?

At one point in time I was a dues paying member of both the NRA and the ACLU. Now I am a dues paying member of neither.

After studying the laws of my state, MD, pertaining to use and potential registration of inherited relic handguns, including those applicable to semiautomatic ones that predate serial number laws, I chose not to voluntarily register the handguns I inherited from my father. I realize it is an additional crime to use an unserialized handgun for an unlawful purpose, but it may be used for lawful purposes on my property.

Amending the constitution, or not, is probably be the best process to put the 2nd amendment arguments to bed. Let Democracy and the Constitution work as it was designed.

(I hope I wasn't tricked into getting the banhammner and this thread deleted.)
You are a bit of an odd one, no offense. You are a little all over the road. Believe me, the brilliance of our founders was amazing! I will leave it at that.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
You are a bit of an odd one, no offense. You are a little all over the road. Believe me, the brilliance of our founders was amazing! I will leave it at that.
And you think you know the intent of our founding fathers?

Depends:

If one is hunting over a food plot or bait -> BS.

If one is picking one of a million trees in a national forest like, Monongahela, in Dolly Sods high country, hanging a portable packed stand, and hunting with a bow -> not BS.

If you set aside the risk of falling, hunting from a tree stand is safer from a modern firearm ballistic travel standpoint, as one is typically aiming downward. For this reason, some urban/suburban areas require hunting from a tree stand.

In GA one can drive deer with dogs. That seems to me to be more BS than hunting from a treestand.

(Just my opinion. Not trying to convince anyone. 😉)
I guess we've played this thread for what it was worth anyway, so

I'm sure glad I have a KTM (orange) and an orange jacket for riding during hunting season here. I used to think our noise would piss off the hunters, but the ones I've run across indicate that we "get em movin" and its a good thing. Not sure if all hunters feel that way.

Those bow guys sure seem to have to do a lot of work. I spoke to one guy who said he was not able to get a shot off for 7 years.

I spoke to one guy who said he was not able to get a shot off for 7 years.
Surely, he was doing it right (not hunting over bait). And he probably wasn't meat hunting, like my old man did.

It's hard to stretch a good bow shot to 80yds. And in the woods, there's typically not a clear 80yd shot to take. Many more deer are taken within 25yds. That's why scent control and silence are a premium.

Imagine staying all day in a windy pine tree at a swamp's edge in subfreezing weather, the big buck steps out, you get your bow quietly into position to draw, then you find you're just too cold and stiff to draw the bow back. It really sucks. So I'd say the fair chase deer have more than a fighting chance.

Last edited:
riding during hunting season ... used to think our noise would piss off the hunters
I don't think it would upset modern firearms hunters. Bow hunters might appreciate more quietude and to harvest a deer during its more natural movements. No riding in the Monongahela National Forest.

There is far less violence in the world today than in historical times (not to imply it is okay today).

Deer stands also offer some safety benefits (shooting downward).

Fair chase debates are mostly self-serving rationalizations (my way is more honorable than yours) and moving targets across generations (all hunting and fishing today is unfair according to cavemen). Would rather see an "unfair" but quick/clean kill any day over a "fairly" wounded or less quickly/cleanly killed animal.

If you recruit better, 83% chance you will do better. PSU recruiting may or may not be fair chase.

I still prefer an aluminum sword to steel or iron. Much lighter, and I like lightweights.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight (bring 2 wrestlers instead).

Note to self: Being a landlord is apparently a great way to get rich. Pursue a career change. Also, send Xmas card to el dub.

I know the intent of our founding fathers (indigenous peoples) - chop wood, carry water, and secure food with a wood and stone sword (fair chase or not). Oh yea, and smoke a peace pipe before discussing wrestling.

Hope that covers my thoughts on all thread discussions.

Edit: Happy Thanksgiving to all in advance. Hope you gave your turkey a fair chase.

I don't hunt, but have nothing against it.

Tree Stands do seem like BS to me though. Any hunters have a good reason for them? I get why they work, just seems to eliminate any chance for the animal
I spent some of my youth freezing my butt off in tree stands while bow hunting along the Cedar between Palo and Vinton. I can still remember being downwind of a can of buck scent too. :oops:

However, back in the day, it wasn't meant to be a fair contest. (Trapper's caveman) It was cheap meat for chile and stew in the winter, and deer didn't seem nearly as plentiful then. Now they're in everyone's backyard eating the flowers and veggies. You would think that an animal that's both tasty and annoying would see declines in population, but I guess not without predation.

Last edited:
I spent some of my youth freezing my butt off in tree stands while bow hunting along the Cedar between Palo and Vinton. I can still remember being downwind of a can of buck scent too. :oops:

However, back in the day, it wasn't meant to be a fair contest. (Trapper's caveman) It was cheap meat for chile and stew in the winter, and deer didn't seem nearly as plentiful then. Now they're in everyone's backyard eating the flowers and veggies. You would think that an animal that's both tasty and annoying would see declines in population, but I guess not without predation.

They are an absolute nuisance these days. Growing up I literally never saw a deer in town and now there are herds of the vermin coming to town daily damaging people's yards. The town people who don't garden but like feeding the bastards don't help. If eating stuff in my yard wasn't enough I had one use a newly planted 7 ft maple as antler practice this fall. Broke most of the side branches off and literally pulled the whole tree out of the ground. I fully encourage all ye deer hunters to have at it.

Last edited:
And you think you know the intent of our founding fathers?
NO, I do not think I know the intent. I 100% DO know the intent! Not sure if you are saying you don't, or you think I nor anyone else does?

It is pretty simple to understand if you look at our history. Try starting just before the Revolutionary War. Then look at The Convention of States and what can only be describe as a MASTER PIECE. Something called The CONSTITUTION!

Reactions: T8KUDWN
NO, I do not think I know the intent. I 100% DO know the intent! Not sure if you are saying you don't, or you think I nor anyone else does?

It is pretty simple to understand if you look at our history. Try starting just before the Revolutionary War. Then look at The Convention of States and what can only be describe as a MASTER PIECE. Something called The CONSTITUTION!
Wow.

ADVERTISEMENT