ADVERTISEMENT

To show just how important the 2023 recruiting class is and producing similarly at least every other year:

Being all over the road, I will go with:

1) Maximally preserving individual liberties (caveat a citizen's, as citizen was defined at that time), to preserve one's ability to live and pursue happiness in a manner that doesn't remove another's similar liberties.

2) Create a functional government that supports the preservation of the nation.

Which are achieved through limiting the potential for the newly established Democratic Republic to infringe on its citizens or approach tyranny, ostensibly through establishment of individual rights, constraints on government, and checks and balances within government.

How did I do, @IRONBIRD?

I annually read the Constitution every Constitution Day, and took an oath to protect it when I worked for the Federal Government.

NO, I do not think I know the intent. I 100% DO know the intent! Not sure if you are saying you don't, or you think I nor anyone else does?

It is pretty simple to understand if you look at our history. Try starting just before the Revolutionary War. Then look at The Convention of States and what can only be describe as a MASTER PIECE. Something called The CONSTITUTION!
So, you’re an originalist?

NO, I do not think I know the intent. I 100% DO know the intent! Not sure if you are saying you don't, or you think I nor anyone else does?

It is pretty simple to understand if you look at our history. Try starting just before the Revolutionary War. Then look at The Convention of States and what can only be describe as a MASTER PIECE. Something called The CONSTITUTION!
To me it’s not so simple. Men wrote a document over two hundred years back declaring all white, land-owning men as equal.

The writers of the constitution owned slaves. Their version of equality pertained to certain white men only. The world has changed. And continues evolving. At least the perception of some of us have changed….. Our behavior towards others should also change.

The constitution was a good starting point for imperfect people.

Last edited:
They are an absolute nuisance these days. Growing up I literally never saw a deer in town and now there are herds of the vermin coming to town daily damaging people's yards. The town people who don't garden but like feeding the bastards don't help. If eating stuff in my yard wasn't enough I had one use a newly planted 7 ft maple as antler practice this fall. Broke most of the side branches off and literally pulled the whole tree out of the ground. I fully encourage all ye deer hunters to have at it.
AMEN brother, but do it with a .243 or bigger please.

Reactions: el dub
To me it’s not so simple. Men wrote a document over two hundred years back declaring all white, land-owning men as equal.

The writers of the constitution owned slaves. Their version of equality pertained to certain white men only. The world has changed. And continues evolving. At least the perception of some of us have changed….. Our behavior towards others should also change.

Thee we constitution was a good starting point for imperfect people.
I remember the good old days (two days ago) when whining about Carl and F** State was enough. Sigh.
But I'm one probably one of Trapper's cavemen, and not evolved (yet).

do it with a .243 or bigger please
Most towns don't allow discharge of a firearm within their limits. Crossbows are legal in most states for urban/suburban hunters.

But a deer can run 100 yards even after a clean shot to the money hole with a modern firearm (head/neck shots and spine shot, which are low probability, notwithstanding). And neck shots ruin good roasts.

Bottom Line: The neighbors might not enjoy seeing the dead deer on their property or being field dressed in town.

Different people, different sensibilies.

Reactions: el dub
I remember the good old days (two days ago) when whining about Carl and F** State was enough. Sigh.
But I'm one probably one of Trapper's cavemen, and not evolved (yet).
I don’t know what a trappers cave man is. Auto-corrected, maybe?

Most towns don't allow discharge of a firearm within their limits. Crossbows are legal in most states for urban/suburban hunters.

But a deer can run 100 yards even after a clean shot to the money hole with a modern firearm (head/neck shots and spine shot, which are low probability, notwithstanding). And neck shots ruin good roasts.

Bottom Line: The neighbors might not enjoy seeing the dead deer on their property or being field dressed in town.

Different people, different sensibilies.
Yeah, we didn't hunt " in town" either, and I lived on the outskirts of town.
Some people see a dead deer or one being field dressed (guts & glands removed) and they say "Eww gross. " We saw dinner.

I don’t know what a trappers cave man is. Auto-corrected, maybe?
Nope, it was one of Trapper 85's posts on a "fair fight" between man and beast. No matter.
In any event, I'm probably not as "evolved" as some of you. That's what I was talking about.

Sad to say, hunting seems to be a dieing sport. And I understand an individual's ability to hunt without being landed gentry was of interest to our founding fathers.

In Central MD, some counties have unlimited Antlerless seasons. And landowners who reside on or make a living off their properties don't need a license to hunt on it. But one is required to have written permission to hunt or retrieve their game on another's private property.

It's pretty easy for me to fill the freezer, because I live in a rural agricultural county, in a wooded lot, under stream conservation, adjacent to an inoperable dairy farm's fallow field, which is under agricultural preservation.

Last edited:
Reactions: bnicolls and el dub
YES
the constitution understander has logged on folks
YES again
Being all over the road, I will go with:

1) Maximally preserving individual liberties (caveat a citizen's, as citizen was defined at that time), to preserve one's ability to live and pursue happiness in a manner that doesn't remove another's similar liberties.

2) Create a functional government that supports the preservation of the nation.

Which are achieved through limiting the potential for the newly established Democratic Republic to infringe on its citizens or approach tyranny, ostensibly through establishment of individual rights, constraints on government, and checks and balances within government.

How did I do, @IRONBIRD?

I annually read the Constitution every Constitution Day, and took an oath to protect it when I worked for the Federal Government.
you did well
So, you’re an originalist?
YES for a third time. I believe the Constitution be interpreted as written and any changes go through proper channels to be amended!

The constitution was a good starting point for imperfect people.
Just saying men wrote a document is a pretty poor wording for - Brilliant men working extremely hard to write the greatest rules if you will, to start a country of all time!

and please do not start with BS about how things were 200 years ago! The USA is the greatest country to ever exist. We have done more for the world then all other countries combined! Has everything gone peaches and cream? Certainly not, we too are not perfect. The thought of what the world could look like without what we have done is frightening!!!

Sad to say, hunting seems to be a dieing sport. And I understand an individual's ability to hunt without being landed gentry was of interest to our founding fathers.

In Central MD, some counties have unlimited Antlerless seasons. And landowners who live on or off their properties don't need a license to hunt on it. But one is required to have written permission to hunt or retrieve their game on another's private property.

It's pretty easy for me to fill the freezer, because I leave in a rural agricultural county, in a wooded lot, under stream conservation, adjacent to an inoperable dairy farm's fallow field, which is under agricultural preservation.
I grew up hunting, fishing and owning guns. I appreciate that way of life.

YES

YES again

you did well

YES for a third time. I believe the Constitution be interpreted as written and any changes go through proper channels to be amended!

Just saying men wrote a document is a pretty poor wording for - Brilliant men working extremely hard to write the greatest rules if you will, to start a country of all time!

and please do not start with BS about how things were 200 years ago! The USA is the greatest country to ever exist. We have done more for the world then all other countries combined! Has every thing been peaches and cream? Certainly not, we too are not perfect. The thought of what the world could look like without what we have done is frightening!!!
We’re the best of the best….

Reactions: IRONBIRD
They are an absolute nuisance these days. Growing up I literally never saw a deer in town and now there are herds of the vermin coming to town daily damaging people's yards. The town people who don't garden but like feeding the bastards don't help. If eating stuff in my yard wasn't enough I had one use a newly planted 7 ft maple as antler practice this fall. Broke most of the side branches off and literally pulled the whole tree out of the ground. I fully encourage all ye deer hunters to have at it.
Yes, this is a problem in Salida CO. Also, decades ago Jackson WY had to create an Elk range just north of town to keep them out. Same issue then. I'm not sure when they did it, but seems like its been there since the early 60's when I started visiting

Reactions: MVPFAN and el dub
Well, it now seems clear to me who the unnamed “source” is for the conspiracy theory claims made or implied against PSU over the years by the likes of @WWDMHawkeye , @DonHawkeye , @armbartilt , etc. Oh well, keep beating that drum — it hasn’t changed the landscape one iota in 10 years.

Old-man tough-guy bravado is amusing. Seems to me someone is a wee bit jealous of Ira Lubert and eager to be as successful and impactful as he. Keep at it, stud, this thread has been a great look, lol.

Now, can we get back to comparing wrestling recruits and coaches to metals, blacksmiths, and their various sword products? My next thought on that analogy was going to be that wrestling recruits aren’t really raw metals waiting to be forged by a blacksmith at all. I mean, they are already swords by the time they get into a college room. In that respect, college coaches aren’t blacksmiths (maybe grade school coaches are?). And who would ever seek out a sword made of aluminum? Doesn’t seem like a realistic scenario . . . not at the D1 level, at least. Maybe a club team would accept aluminum, but that’s not really a recruiting discussion.

No, I think something else is going on. It’s almost like top-end guys with lofty goals believe a coach with GOAT-level accolades and a proven track record might be a good fit for helping them reach those goals. And that the coach has a great eye for personalities that fit his approach. Success builds more success, and dreams outweigh money, and the snowball grows.

Talk $$$ all you want, but PSU’s NCAA performances on the big stage are the biggest recruiting tool of all. I’m sure this was true of the 1980s-90s Hawkeye teams, as well. You didn’t have to know any details about any coach or program to know that Iowa is where you went if you were serious about being a champ. Gable’s success in developing the Iowa program simply became that big. That’s the territory Cael & Co. are in now. The tide will turn someday, but it will be due more to program success and coaches reaching their wrestlers than to $$$ alone. Coaches eventually age out — that is the catalyst you should be watching for.
Yawn...

The further this thread gets from the original topic and from wrestling in general, the more it looks like a BWI thread. If people would start posting gifs with no words, it may suddenly disappear from HR and appear on BWI instead.

The further this thread gets from the original topic and from wrestling in general, the more it looks like a BWI thread. If people would start posting gifs with no words, it may suddenly disappear from HR and appear on BWI instead.
Like this?

Willy Wonka Smile GIF

I guess we've played this thread for what it was worth anyway, so

I'm sure glad I have a KTM (orange) and an orange jacket for riding during hunting season here. I used to think our noise would piss off the hunters, but the ones I've run across indicate that we "get em movin" and its a good thing. Not sure if all hunters feel that way.

Those bow guys sure seem to have to do a lot of work. I spoke to one guy who said he was not able to get a shot off for 7 years.
I have shot deer with a rifle from a 4wheeler. I have shot deer with a bow from a quad. The deer dont mind them at all, in my opinion. Many times they just stare at you while you drive by. Im at the point to think its cheating and is more effective way of hunting than sitting in a cold stand all day.

A guy who hasnt shot a deer in 7 years, needs to do something different. Theres an old joke about hunting success and getting sex, but I dont remember it properly to try and type it out. But I think you get the drift.

After all the ped state stuff got off your chest, this thread became RL interesting. It wasnt what the OP intended, for sure, but it seems a similar thread pops off several times a season.

I spent some of my youth freezing my butt off in tree stands while bow hunting along the Cedar between Palo and Vinton. I can still remember being downwind of a can of buck scent too. :oops:

However, back in the day, it wasn't meant to be a fair contest. (Trapper's caveman) It was cheap meat for chile and stew in the winter, and deer didn't seem nearly as plentiful then. Now they're in everyone's backyard eating the flowers and veggies. You would think that an animal that's both tasty and annoying would see declines in population, but I guess not without predation.
I live 30 minutes from the Capital. Deer are everywhere. Especially dead along the road. Cant go anywhere without deer jumping the highways this time of year.

They should have a program to take the deer out of the suburbs and feed the hungry. Would be easy to do with bows, but they wont do it for a host of reasons I suspect.

I live 30 minutes from the Capital. Deer are everywhere. Especially dead along the road. Cant go anywhere without deer jumping the highways this time of year.

They should have a program to take the deer out of the suburbs and feed the hungry. Would be easy to do with bows, but they wont do it for a host of reasons I suspect.
They have had similar programs in Des Moines in the past. Trained hunters taking out city deer.

Reactions: grapplefann
Then let's change. We don't want anything that looks like BWI here. ;)

Reactions: mcpat

In Central MD, some counties have unlimited Antlerless seasons. And landowners who reside on or make a living off their properties don't need a license to hunt on it. But one is required to have written permission to hunt or retrieve their game on another's private property.

It's pretty easy for me to fill the freezer, because I live in a rural agricultural county, in a wooded lot, under stream conservation, adjacent to an inoperable dairy farm's fallow field, which is under agricultural preservation.
Yeah, we got way more guns, but many fewer hunters. We need to introduce more venison recipes to more gun owners.

Well, it now seems clear to me who the unnamed “source” is for the conspiracy theory claims made or implied against PSU over the years by the likes of @WWDMHawkeye , @DonHawkeye , @armbartilt , etc. Oh well, keep beating that drum — it hasn’t changed the landscape one iota in 10 years.

Old-man tough-guy bravado is amusing. Seems to me someone is a wee bit jealous of Ira Lubert and eager to be as successful and impactful as he. Keep at it, stud, this thread has been a great look, lol.

Now, can we get back to comparing wrestling recruits and coaches to metals, blacksmiths, and their various sword products? My next thought on that analogy was going to be that wrestling recruits aren’t really raw metals waiting to be forged by a blacksmith at all. I mean, they are already swords by the time they get into a college room. In that respect, college coaches aren’t blacksmiths (maybe grade school coaches are?). And who would ever seek out a sword made of aluminum? Doesn’t seem like a realistic scenario . . . not at the D1 level, at least. Maybe a club team would accept aluminum, but that’s not really a recruiting discussion.

No, I think something else is going on. It’s almost like top-end guys with lofty goals believe a coach with GOAT-level accolades and a proven track record might be a good fit for helping them reach those goals. And that the coach has a great eye for personalities that fit his approach. Success builds more success, and dreams outweigh money, and the snowball grows.

Talk $$$ all you want, but PSU’s NCAA performances on the big stage are the biggest recruiting tool of all. I’m sure this was true of the 1980s-90s Hawkeye teams, as well. You didn’t have to know any details about any coach or program to know that Iowa is where you went if you were serious about being a champ. Gable’s success in developing the Iowa program simply became that big. That’s the territory Cael & Co. are in now. The tide will turn someday, but it will be due more to program success and coaches reaching their wrestlers than to $$$ alone. Coaches eventually age out — that is the catalyst you should be watching for.
Hey dumbass. Nice to know I am still in your head. I hope it gives you nightmares. TBH, I never think of you.

BTW I was the source for my allegations. Aaron Brooks DAD asked for 300k from a D1 coach who asked the school I worked with. I was in the room and part of the discussion of "was it legal". The consensus was "maybe" but we are not going there. NCAA has ignored it so far. Now with NIL I dont think they care at all. No, I am not on staff at Iowa-- never was.

If you are going to attempt to virtue signal and pontificate (more like defecate) at least do some reading and get your facts straight.

The PSU fans always on Iowa board.... such weirdos ...... do you stare at your neighbors wife too?

FACT- you are an idiot for writing this!!!! I put "recruit" like that. Do you believe Dean would leave Cornell for nothing!?!?!?! I mean are you crazy???
Please don't flame the messenger but I know he left because of covid restrictions, so yes, I am crazy. ;) ... Did not want to risk giving up another shot at NCAA. Many NE schools still doing the dance with covid BS--

OK great, this has been discussed before. The much bigger picture, if the OP wants to do some more work? Is looking back at the last 10 years or so. F*** st I will bet has out recruited the next 3-4 teams combined when it comes to top 10 talent!!!

It was/is all about the $$$$ and an un-level playing field. Everyone seems to think that The Brands, Smiths, Ryans of the world are stupid or something. "GEE guys, do you think it would be smart for us too to bring in top tier guys by the truck load???"

It was the ability to do it without any rules that gave the F*** st great Kale a ridiculous advantage. No other way to look at it!!! Now with NIL $$$, the field is starting to level off some, but, kael did a smart thing and started buying club members. Dake, Snyder, and lil whats his face soon to be smashed by LEE!

So YES, what the OP said makes great sense, getting it done is the hard part.
so your coach can't recruit not our problem I am betting iowa spends more on recruits than PSU does!LOL

I wish I had more time to spend on this chat board and make posts before we get to page 7. It is why I don't post as often as I might otherwise. One part of the whole "injury free" discussion that gets tossed out a lot referring to PSU and degrading Iowa as having a culture that causes more injuries. I don't want to over-simplify or ignore the many complex causes of various injuries, but one main aspect that I have never seen raised has to do with the quality of the athlete.
Top p4p wrestlers who start out as better all around athletes can far more easily protect themselves and not place themselves in those situations where some injuries happen. When you can dominate your opponents, I contend that you will have far fewer injuries.
That being said, anyone can get injured. Things happen. Body parts fail.
Recovery after workouts is important. More injuries tend to happen when physically fatigued and technique slips a bit.

One minor example from my own experience is illustrative. My coach started wrestling the same day I did as a freshman in HS. He didn't know technique, so couldn't teach it. I had poor technique with TDs. My shots did not penetrate and I would be stretched out under opponents. My long arms and strength prevented counters, but there was a lot of avoidable strain on my shoulder that caused a chronic pain that increased through each season. When I got to college with an experienced coach I learned better technique, and have been blessed to have been injury free and no problems since.

When you start out at the top, your path is easier. When you start out lower on the ladder, more work, more hours of practice, more taking ill-advised chances, etc. are required to make it to the podium- things that increase the possibility for injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT