ADVERTISEMENT

Today on twitter.

Torres is a te... they weren't going to take a tight end in this class but he impressed them so much they decided to offer..

Reactions: David1979
After watching his tape and losing count of how many times he blocked a defensive lineman, de or lb all the way to the ground or half way across the field, visions of a 310 lb Torres danced in my head.

So Watts, Blades and Johnson Jr. all not making it to campus for the fall. That certainly takes some of the luster off of their recruiting class. One really good corner injured and they had another potential starter or at least nickel guy injured in the spring with an ACL as well.

Thought the kid was a lost cause for a bit there. Looks like things are starting to rekindle.

We are his lone P5 offer at the moment, I'd say we are the leaders yes, wonder if the staff is waiting on senior film or if they'll accept a commitment right now?
is he really a 4 star like his Twitter bio says? I know grades are a supposed issue with him but sheesh figured more p5 schools would offer if truly a 4 star.

is he really a 4 star like his Twitter bio says? I know grades are a supposed issue with him but sheesh figured more p5 schools would offer if truly a 4 star.
Looks like 3* on 247 and Rivals, 4* on Scout.

We are his lone P5 offer at the moment, I'd say we are the leaders yes, wonder if the staff is waiting on senior film or if they'll accept a commitment right now?

I thought I read somewhere they were waiting to see if he picked up his grades before accepting a commit.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
I thought I read somewhere they were waiting to see if he picked up his grades before accepting a commit.
Grades or some other off the field issue that most speculate about. Iowa cooled on him but perhaps he had corrected some of those things and the door is still open.

And maybe those off the field issues are the reason for the lack of P5 offers.

Grades or some other off the field issue that most speculate about. Iowa cooled on him but perhaps he had corrected some of those things and the door is still open.

And maybe those off the field issues are the reason for the lack of P5 offers.
Those same factors are why Nixon's recruitment was relatively quiet until he demonstrated a marked academic improvement. His P5 offers only came in after the demonstrated uptick in his grades. For similar reasons, that's why Carl Davis's recruitment didn't blow up more.

Those same factors are why Nixon's recruitment was relatively quiet until he demonstrated a marked academic improvement. His P5 offers only came in after the demonstrated uptick in his grades. For similar reasons, that's why Carl Davis's recruitment didn't blow up more.
Think about what that DL could be in a couple years if Nixon does come...and Waggoner.

Think about what that DL could be in a couple years if Nixon does come...and Waggoner.
I'm ridiculously obsessive about anything that interests me - I thought about such a scenario quite a while ago ... and I'm very excited about such a possibility. Think of the possibility of the 2019 DL:
seniors: Reiff, Lattimore, and Nelson (2 DTs + 1 DE)
juniors: Simon, Golston, and Epenesa (2 DEs + 1 deployable weapon of mass destruction)
sophomores: Duwa and Nixon (1 DE/DT + 1 DT)
freshmen: Shannon and Waggoner (1 DT + 1 DE)

The upperclassmen should be great - and they'll be mentoring the younger guys to become great too. A really nice mix of body-types, skill-sets, and talent. The contrast of Nixon and Shannon could be deadly in the future ... Nixon is a taller big guy with good length ... Shannon is a shorter guy with great leverage and explosiveness ... rotate those guys and it's tough for O-linemen to adjust to the differences. That was part of the effectiveness of Mike Daniels ... he was very different than either Klug or Ballard ... so when he came in it supplied a significant contrast. To Mike's credit, he made the most of those opportunities and end up winning an interior starting spot in 2010.

edit: thinking about a different recruit.

Last edited:
And on the flip side, there are guys like Boone Myers who Iowa's staff even overlooked who walked-on, was awarded a scholarship right away, and will be a 3 year starter.
Boone was not overlooked by the Iowa staff. Walk-ons do not just appear. They are recruited.

Boone was not overlooked by the Iowa staff. Walk-ons do not just appear. They are recruited.
Brian Ferentz himself said that the staff overlooked him and that he should have been on scholarship from the get go.

ADVERTISEMENT