ADVERTISEMENT

Today's newspaper had a story...

Feel like this is a story that has been around for 30+ years. Always starts with # of Illinois residents going to school @ Iowa because they couldn't get into Univ of IL, then not staying after they graduate. Then # of international students doing the same. I can't fathom how this is a Gov Reynolds issue.

It has been happening for years. That is why the state is slipping into craphole territory. All of the intelligent people are leaving… you’re left with the boomers and mouth breathers.
I'm a Boomer
What category do you fall in?

Reactions: goldmom
Feel like this is a story that has been around for 30+ years. Always starts with # of Illinois residents going to school @ Iowa because they couldn't get into Univ of IL, then not staying after they graduate. Then # of international students doing the same. I can't fathom how this is a Gov Reynolds issue.
How about the fact that the reference is to native Iowans?

Has absolutely nothing to do with Illinois other then it's probably a destination for those Iowa grads. And also regarding Illinois...it has the fifth highest retention rate of grads staying home. Can someone help me...does Illinois also have a Republican Governor?

Started during the Branstad reign of terror and continued under the drunkard.

Iowa =MAGA land.

At a certain point Iowans will need to consider what exactly they get from Republican leadership? Iowa gets worse by the year. Our educational standards keep dropping, our water keeps getting worse, small towns keep dying, young people keep leaving. We used to be on the leading edge of a variety of things. Now that seems like a longtime ago. We need a change. Rs just aren't cutting it anymore.

At a certain point Iowans will need to consider what exactly they get from Republican leadership? Iowa gets worse by the year. Our educational standards keep dropping, our water keeps getting worse, small towns keep dying, young people keep leaving. We used to be on the leading edge of a variety of things. Now that seems like a longtime ago. We need a change. Rs just aren't cutting it anymore.
Iowa Republicans need dull, uneducated citizens to maintain their power.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Illinois other then it's probably a destination for those Iowa grads. And also regarding Illinois...it has the fifth highest retention rate of grads staying home. Can someone help me...does Illinois also have a Republican Governor?

Iowa =MAGA land.

Oh of course. I'm sure it was all good during PuSsack and Chester's reign.

giphy.gif

Sure kids are leaving Iowa, but we lead the way in grandmas on trampolines and relaxing rides in pick ups in rural Iowa.

Reactions: MitchLL
Oh of course. I'm sure it was all good during PuSsack and Chester's reign.
Sick burn. PuSsack. Next level stuff. Meanwhile economic opportunity for individuals declines in rural Iowa. Schools and hospitals in rural Iowa face increasing headwinds with no plans in place to strengthen them.
It must burn you up something terrible on the inside to see the only places in Iowa doing well being the blue pockets. The blue pockets have better schools. The blue pockets are where you go when you are really sick. The blue parts are where your kids move to if they don't move out of state. The blue parts are where the jobs are.

Sure kids are leaving Iowa, but we lead the way in grandmas on trampolines and relaxing rides in pick ups in rural Iowa.
And soon to be the home of the oldest US Senator. Some 90 year old, senile, subsidy receiving freeloader.

Sick burn. PuSsack. Next level stuff. Meanwhile economic opportunity for individuals declines in rural Iowa. Schools and hospitals in rural Iowa face increasing headwinds with no plans in place to strengthen them.
It must burn you up something terrible on the inside to see the only places in Iowa doing well being the blue pockets. The blue pockets have better schools. The blue pockets are where you go when you are really sick. The blue parts are where your kids move to if they don't move out of state. The blue parts are where the jobs are.

Bigger cities have more resources. That is nothing new.

But LOL. Better schools?

May want to think about that for a second.

Kim and the Iowa GOP pander to the old and the uneducated. Young college grads are going to continue to flee, and the state will continue to circle the drain.
"Yeah, but educated Iowans don't typically vote for Republicans, so it's ok if they leave".

The above statement was made during a study by the Iowa Republican Party at their annual research luncheon at the dining hall of the Iowa Farm Bureau.

Is it any wonder Reynolds underfunds education in this State?

Has Iowa’s rate of exodus increased markedly over the last, say, 10-30 years?

Iowa =MAGA land.
Feel free to correct me, but I see where it states iowa grads v staying in state, I don’t see where it states born and raised in Iowa, graduated from a state instituition and left the state, which was my point. I will admit I only skimmed the article..

That said, I was born and raised in Iowa 40 + years ago, graduated from Iowa, tried to stay in state, but ended up out of state due to the plethora of opportunities. I am now back in state. My only point is, I am not a huge Reynolds fan, but I can’t blame Governor Reynold’s as this is hardly a new phenomenon.

Has Iowa’s rate of exodus increased markedly over the last, say, 10-30 years?
Data is here if you’re interested.

I’m not sure you’ll find a state with a more marked increase in domestic exodus than CA.
Interestingly, the international net migration has fallen substantially over the last few years there as well and now overall net migration has been negative since 2017.

Net migration in Iowa is still positive due to international migration.

Reactions: goldmom
Kinda this. Less traffic. Less people in my fishing spots. Less danger for my son. I really like living where no one else does.
Cool. Please just stay there when you have a medical emergency. Thanks

Interesting defense...the Illinois kids who are too dumb to go to college in their home state come to Iowa, where they can get meet the entrance requirements-then go home when they graduate.

She certainly deserves some of the blame. Isn't the below an issue on her watch?

State experts said part of the problem is Iowa lacks enough well-paying jobs for all the college graduates Iowa produces.

"Yeah, but educated Iowans don't typically vote for Republicans, so it's ok if they leave".

The above statement was made during a study by the Iowa Republican Party at their annual research luncheon at the dining hall of the Iowa Farm Bureau.

Is it any wonder Reynolds underfunds education in this State?

And any wonder why @DooBi and @NorthernHawkeye love it here so much?

ADVERTISEMENT