ADVERTISEMENT

Today's newspaper had a story...

Interesting defense...the Illinois kids who are too dumb to go to college in their home state come to Iowa, where they can get meet the entrance requirements-then go home when they graduate.
It is pretty well known around the Midwest and was this way 40 years ago when I was there. Illinois is very difficult to get into. Chicago metro area is massively populated. It is Big Ten country. If you want to go to a Big Ten school, and can't get into Illinois (you can still be pretty smart and not get in), you go to Iowa, WI, Indiana, Purdue, etc. Those schools all have significant populations of suburban Chicago students.

How about the fact that the reference is to native Iowans?

Has absolutely nothing to do with Illinois other then it's probably a destination for those Iowa grads. And also regarding Illinois...it has the fifth highest retention rate of grads staying home. Can someone help me...does Illinois also have a Republican Governor?

Started during the Branstad reign of terror and continued under the drunkard.

Iowa =MAGA land.

That is not true at all...the study simply compares the # of graduates that reside in a state versus how many graduates schools of that state produce. It does NOT make any sort of distinction between a state's natives versus imports.

Iowa leads the nation, or is one of the leading States, in the "brain drain".

One of the highest exoduses of college graduates in the entire country.

Thank you, Governor Reynolds.

Wrap that story in your next political campaign ad.

AND the article clearly states Iowa it not close to leading the states in "brain drain".

But please, continue being a complete partisan hack and an old piece of shit.

Reactions: Rudolph
Data is here if you’re interested.

I’m not sure you’ll find a state with a more marked increase in domestic exodus than CA.
Interestingly, the international net migration has fallen substantially over the last few years there as well and now overall net migration has been negative since 2017.

Net migration in Iowa is still positive due to international migration.
Thanks. Just glanced at it and it doesn’t appear to detail out college graduates, which is the focus of this thread.

Interesting defense...the Illinois kids who are too dumb to go to college in their home state come to Iowa, where they can get meet the entrance requirements-then go home when they graduate.
Not a defense, just stating what I saw, all 3 of my freshmen roommates fit that bill, none stayed after they graduated.

It will be interesting see what happens in the next 10 years with Iowa. The ability to work remote opens up the opportunity for Iowans to move back. I’ll be one of them.

Get out of the cities….and Iowa is a nice choice

Reactions: CaboKP
Feel like this is a story that has been around for 30+ years. Always starts with # of Illinois residents going to school @ Iowa because they couldn't get into Univ of IL, then not staying after they graduate. Then # of international students doing the same. I can't fathom how this is a Gov Reynolds issue.
Iowa used to be a purple state. Repeatedly voted for democratic presidents but had a republican governor. Always had Harkin and Grasley to balance one another. I won't ever move back there now. Just remember that more highly educated people tend to be democrats. The current political climate is not helping. It's also a combination of people leaving rural areas and moving to cities.

Reactions: ichawkeye
2007 article. Iowa in the top 3 of brain drain. Democrat Gov era.

AND the article clearly states Iowa it not close to leading the states in "brain drain".

But please, continue being a complete partisan hack and an old piece of shit.
What does "10th worst in the country" mean to you?

Common sense math on this means Iowa is in the lowest 20% in the entire country.

Goddammit, you Reynolds apologists!

Last edited:
What does "10th worst percentage in the country" mean to you

What does "10th worst in the country" mean to you?

Common sense math on this means Iowa is in the lowest 20% in the entire country.

Goddammit, you Reynolds apologists!
I post an article from 2007 when Iowa was in the bottom 3. Thoughts on that?

That is not true at all...the study simply compares the # of graduates that reside in a state versus how many graduates schools of that state produce. It does NOT make any sort of distinction between a state's natives versus imports.
Any more excuses?

If every State was judged the same, as one would expect, your POV is meaningless.

Iowa ranks 40th out of 50 States.

End of story.

Looks like they did the same type of article in. 2015. I’m sure we could go back earlier and see the same thing

2015????

Terry Branstad second term.

See a pattern here?

Republicans..."College grads don't vote for us. Let them leave".

So you admit to completely making stuff up about the article? Or are you admitting you didn’t understand the article?
GFY.

You know you're wrong, but as other posters here remember from past topics, you can't admit it.

40th out of 50. Mississippi North.

I really do think you will start to see 40 and younger folks moving back. The only issue I have had in the SE Iowa area near Mt pleasant is the restaurant scene.

I really do think you will start to see 40 and younger folks moving back. The only issue I have had in the SE Iowa area near Mt pleasant is the restaurant scene.

You have to offer them a reason besides cheap cost of living. A lot of young adults rely on Ramen and cereal to eat but once they have a good job they upgrade their tastes.

Reactions: lucas80
Bigger cities have more resources. That is nothing new.

But LOL. Better schools?

May want to think about that for a second.
We have more resources because more people with more money are here.
Rural Iowa is cratering. Less and less opportunity, and schools will continue to consolidate. The move towards four days a week schooling is happening in Iowa. And, even that will not make staffing easier. There is a big curve coming in Iowa's teaching demographics. A lot of middle aged teachers will retire soon, and the replacements are not available, or willing to move to rural Iowa. Finding bus drivers is already hard. What's that going to be like when more kids need to be moved longer distances?
The funny thing is you live in a Lib area and enjoy the benefits we provide.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Sadly you might actually think this. There is no rationale behind this thinking, but, it's nice to dream, I guess.

GFY.

You know you're wrong, but as other posters here remember from past topics, you can't admit it.

40th out of 50. Mississippi North.

You are just an old, senile piece of shit who either makes stuff up about things or is not smart enough to read and understand the links you provide. Either way it is an indication your mere presence on this planet is waste of oxygen.

Iowa leads the nation, or is one of the leading States, in the "brain drain".

One of the highest exoduses of college graduates in the entire country.

Thank you, Governor Reynolds.

Wrap that story in your next political campaign ad.

"leads the nation"

LMAO!!

What waste of human flesh and oxygen.

ADVERTISEMENT