ADVERTISEMENT

Toddler discipline

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
So I have twins that turn 2 in a couple of weeks so they love throwing fits and doing shit they know is wrong haha. How do/did you guys discipline your kids around this age?

We just started the Timeout method and it works pretty good.

Reactions: jasonrann
Whoop that ass!!! Just kidding. Kind of.

Timeouts always worked pretty good. Just make sure there is nothing for them to play with. I used to make them explain to me why they were in timeout and why it was wrong before they could come out.

So I have twins that turn 2 in a couple of weeks so they love throwing fits and doing shit they know is wrong haha. How do/did you guys discipline your kids around this age?

When our oldest would act out, we got to the point that we could just say his name with that "tone" and he'd say, "Let's GO take a nap" and stomp off to his room. He would emerge a little later and we'd talk about what he did and he was good. He grew up but still hasn't grown into that huge heart he has...the most empathetic person I know.

We had to treat ours differently. Our girl twin would break down and cry if you even raised your voice and would do everything she could to try to do the right thing

The boy twin was a little terror and would laugh if you spanked him. Easily the best punishment for him was to sit for a certain amount of time. 5 minutes on a chair at the table with nothing to do? Torture for him.

Twins are going to feed and model off each other's behavior. They're just turning two and will not understand reason and/or logic.
Praise positive behavior individually. Don't spank!

Reactions: BrunoMars420

At that age their brain is not developed enough to understand timeouts and it (the brain) is still functioning on primordial pleasure/pain. So distraction and removal works best. We they get to be about three or three and half. Short timeouts start working.

Reactions: goldmom

Our girl will be five in March and we have another child on the way in July, we find out the sex this week. We have to be pretty delicate with the daughter. If I raise my voice at all, it's instant tears and I just feel absolutely awful. I have learned to be much more patient, the wife (no pic) is awesome at that. I have quickly found out that the method my dad used, which was basically to instill fear with zero tolerance for jacking around would not work with our daughter.

There’s not a ton you can do at that age.

And don’t think you can exert any control over a full blown temper tantrum. Those just need to run their course.

Reactions: jasonrann
Modified timeouts. You've got to find a pretty big cardboard box - that becomes their timeout box. When they act up, you set them inside the timeout box for a period of time - length of which to be determined by their infraction, but usually a couple of minutes. You close the lid to the box to allow them the peace and quiet to reflect on what they've done, and what they could have done differently/better. Now here's the important part: while the lid is closed you periodically come up to the box quietly and shake the box pretty hard while repeating "repercussions! repercussions!". It's going to startle the kids a little, but in the end you're going to get a lot more consistent compliance. You're welcome!

You’re getting parenting tips from these degenerates?

Reactions: 3boysmom
Our son turns two on the 31st. We remove him from where ever/what ever we are doing and have him sit for a minute or two alone then talk about the reasoning/behavior that got him there. He then has to say sorry and state the reason he is sorry. His latest thing is biting his sister so he already knows where/what to do after he bites her.

Our 4 1/2 daughter goes to her room for bad behavior or if shes throwing a fit. She had one on Friday at dinner because the taco meat wasn't mixed with the corn and black beans on the stove. I will try and use the window method mentioned above next time.

Last edited:
There’s not a ton you can do at that age.

And don’t think you can exert any control over a full blown temper tantrum. Those just need to run their course.

Spot on. Getting pissed off does ZERO to help those situations.

Now here's the important part: while the lid is closed you periodically come up to the box quietly and shake the box pretty hard while repeating "repercussions! repercussions!". It's going to startle the kids a little, but in the end you're going to get a lot more consistent compliance. You're welcome!

giphy.gif

Our girl will be five in March and we have another child on the way in July, we find out the sex this week. We have to be pretty delicate with the daughter. If I raise my voice at all, it's instant tears and I just feel absolutely awful. I have learned to be much more patient, the wife (no pic) is awesome at that. I have quickly found out that the method my dad used, which was basically to instill fear with zero tolerance for jacking around would not work with our daughter.
Does she cry for 30-45 seconds, watch for your reaction and then stop?
You're getting played big time. C'mon.

• Haha
Reactions: sob5 and jasonrann
Does she cry for 30-45 seconds, watch for your reaction and then stop?
You're getting played big time. C'mon.

She cries a lot longer than that. She's not playing, but I thought it the first couple times. Kid has a big heart.

Reactions: sob5
I would do the countdown from 10 when my boy was younger.
If we got down to zero, we didnt just continue to say “stop it”, ignore their tantrum or whatever you see parents do at the store when they hit zero. If we got to zero, he got a swat on the butt. He only got to zero once.

We had to treat ours differently. Our girl twin would break down and cry if you even raised your voice and would do everything she could to try to do the right thing

The boy twin was a little terror and would laugh if you spanked him. Easily the best punishment for him was to sit for a certain amount of time. 5 minutes on a chair at the table with nothing to do? Torture for him.
Same. Our kids were very different on how they reacted and so we had to approach them differently.

Kneel on uncooked rice for now. When they get older add balancing a heavy book in each hand straight out at shoulder level. If they drop or lower them, then they get wacked with some bamboo.

My dad said they did this in the Philippines and it worked on them. Give it a try! 😁
My wife's (no pic) mom (no pic) actually made them kneel on rice. I don't think she's from the Philippines, though.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
I would do the countdown from 10 when my boy was younger.
If we got down to zero, we didnt just continue to say “stop it”, ignore their tantrum or whatever you see parents do at the store when they hit zero. If we got to zero, he got a swat on the butt. He only got to zero once.
Mine tried the tantrum thing once at the grocery store - cereal aisle. She was five. I asked her if she knew anyone else there who could take her home with them, because I was leaving. I left the cart took my purse and walked away. The second I turned the corner she stopped rolling around on the floor and ran after me saying OK Mommy.
One and only tantrum. And I have NEVER bought Count Damn Chocula either. 😂

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

Our oldest rarely required anything in the form of discipline, a raised voice was plenty to cause him to come back into line. I may have swatted his butt a couple of times in his whole childhood and I can only remember doing that once.

Our youngest...he required a much firmer hand. Technically we used a wooden spoon...that he was made to retrieve from the kitchen to "enhance" the lesson. He got spanked plenty, but never for making a kid mistake, only for willful disobedience. Timeouts did nothing to slow him.

Both are well disciplined, productive adults now. Every kid is different.

Mine tried the tantrum thing once at the grocery store - cereal aisle. She was five. I asked her if she knew anyone else there who could take her home with them, because I was leaving. I left the cart took my purse and walked away. The second I turned the corner she stopped rolling around on the floor and ran after me saying OK Mommy.

I am with you on the discipline...except that Count Dracula is awesome. :)

oh my boy had one tantrum in the store. He wanted something. i said no. He proceeded to scream. I gave him to the count of 10. He didnt stop. I pulled him out of the cart and over my shoulder.

it took me 15 mins to get him in the car seat. He kept screaming he wanted to go back as we were pulling away.

we got home. He was settled down about 15 mins later and we went back out. Never had an issue after that. Always were able to let him look at toys without him arguing about wanting one when we said no, or whining because he still wanted to keep lookong

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT