ADVERTISEMENT

Tom’s Fearless 2020 Forecast........

Tom definitely seems like he is expecting some decline (UNI, ISU, Purdue scores) but record wise with road trips to OSU and PSU we will be real challenged to get to 9 or 10 wins. The scores were closer than I would expect against UNI especially. Wonder how much of a Doyle-less presence will impact the toughness of this team which has battled so well in the past. I will say 9-3. We may steal one at PSU and then lose to Purdue or something like that.

I'm sure theres going to be a degree of change with Doyle gone. But my biggest concern is how the rest of the coaches will interact with players. Will they be tentative when it comes time to motivate and/or discipline a player. How will the players react, will some use recent events as a crutch and an excuse to mask underperformance and/or lack of discipline. The team needs to be a family. Families fight and argue, but when they need each other the most they stand by each other. I really hope everyone understands their role and know there is going to be adversity and it wont always be rainbows and butterflies, but no matter what they all have the same goal in mind, to be better today than yesterday and to work hard so tomorrow is even better.

I'm sure theres going to be a degree of change with Doyle gone. But my biggest concern is how the rest of the coaches will interact with players. Will they be tentative when it comes time to motivate and/or discipline a player. How will the players react, will some use recent events as a crutch and an excuse to mask underperformance and/or lack of discipline.
I could see this being a problem for BF, as I'm sure he's been told to tone it down some. Hopefully within limits though. Some guys need that kick in the pants. I can assure you that they loved TWirfs, and BF used to ride him to get him riled up, and play angry. some guys just need that extra push.....

Doyle being gone will have a big impact. A bigger impact is that many players are “quarantined” and thus cannot use the weight room. Sure, they are working out somewhat at home but it is far from the norm at what they would accomplish if they could participate in a structured S&C. Some players have been in quarantine for weeks on end due to repeated exposures.

I'll say the record is going to be 0-0. Sorry, I want them to play as much as anyone, but there isn't going to be a season because folks refuse to protect themselves and others from COVID. So for all of you that won't wear a mask, you are the ones to blame for no football season and you also could possibly be ruining what could be the best Iowa BB team since the Lester years.

But my biggest concern is how the rest of the coaches will interact with players. Will they be tentative when it comes time to motivate and/or discipline a player. How will the players react, will some use recent events as a crutch and an excuse to mask underperformance and/or lack of discipline.
I think they'll be tentative with the players now - which is not good. In my opinion, it'll take quite some time for the comfort level to return between coaches and Current players.

Yes, I think the players will use the recent events as a crutch and excuse. Ughhh...

Reactions: Birdmanil
Doyle being gone will have a big impact. A bigger impact is that many players are “quarantined” and thus cannot use the weight room. Sure, they are working out somewhat at home but it is far from the norm at what they would accomplish if they could participate in a structured S&C. Some players have been in quarantine for weeks on end due to repeated exposures.
Should be the same with most teams. Will be an interesting season to say the least...

I think they'll be tentative with the players now - which is not good. In my opinion, it'll take quite some time for the comfort level to return between coaches and Current players.

Yes, I think the players will use the recent events as a crutch and excuse. Ughhh...
Well hopefully the best one still have an interest in becoming millionaires and will be willing to do what they need to...

I've lost faith. I don't think our coaches can "coach" anymore. They'll leave practice and wonder if they've upset a player at any point throughout the day and, that is going to wear on them.
I highly doubt it.
But yes they'll be upsetting plenty of them hopefully more than once

At the end of the day, I can't help but think KF may speed up his retirement plan. Will he want to put up with this until he is 72?

> another feisty Phil Parker defense. Top 3/4 B10

> offense is potentially explosive if Spencer Petras is as good as billed.

> one of the best K/KR special teams in the nation. Punting TBD ??

total win prediction (pre-camp forecast)
11 ----- 10 ------ 9 ------ 8 ------ 7 ------ 6
(need more feedback on how Petras is performing)

Petras was Stanley’s backup. To expect him to step in without any experience and be significantly better is a pretty big leap of faith.

If we get solid play from the QB position I’d look for an 8-9 win season if we play. This year is going to be such an unknown the 0-0 prediction is probably a smart bet.

I'll say the record is going to be 0-0. Sorry, I want them to play as much as anyone, but there isn't going to be a season because folks refuse to protect themselves and others from COVID. So for all of you that won't wear a mask, you are the ones to blame for no football season and you also could possibly be ruining what could be the best Iowa BB team since the Lester years.

This. I hope we can play the basketball season, even if it is shortened.

Since there's no way this virus disappears before the scheduled start of the season... I think you're going to see so many random players testing positive throughout the season that you'll never be able to predict anything.

Imagine oddsmakers and the sports betting community working through this?

I could see this being a problem for BF, as I'm sure he's been told to tone it down some. Hopefully within limits though. Some guys need that kick in the pants. I can assure you that they loved TWirfs, and BF used to ride him to get him riled up, and play angry. some guys just need that extra push.....
Some need the push, and some can't handle the push.

COACH: Please gentlemen, who would like to have a grueling 2 hour practice this afternoon?
Player: We vote for a 1 hour practice and massage afterwords.
Coach: Jesus Christ, oh I'm so sorry. I mean, that makes a lot of sense.
How about running the stairs?
Player: No way, we need time to study, relax and get on social media!!
Coach: How about a compromise. 1 1/2 hours of practice and then we'll all go to the training room for all the food and drinks you can handle.
Players: Okay, now you're starting to learn how to be down with our thoughts. :p

Are we going to have a season?

When in doubt, follow the money. College athletics depends on football to keep financially viable. There will be football games. Certainly games on TV. Not sure about the stands.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
If a silly mask worked why did we shut the country down??? Only a N95 mask works with a virus and you can screw that up too

Reactions: amahawk

Go home you baby, Covid will magically disappear after the election. Bank it

Reactions: amahawk
I don't know how anyone can act or talk with authority on this issue. Many well educated people have totally different views or guesses. Many feel we are going to have a slow bleed going the way we are and some say herd mentality is a must. To me it's just a wait and see until we can get a vaccine that works and hasn't any side effects. Year 2020 will be an interesting read a few years from now.

Imo no reason to cancel unless all classes are online, dorms shut down, bars at like 15% occupancy etc.

I don't see football any more risky than the others.

Agree, Meanwhile our kids are playing contact sports now so what's the big deal? Everything they've mentioned about Covid they've been wrong.

If people practiced responsible behavior when it comes to COVID, we probably wouldn’t have had to ‘shut down the country.’ Unfortunately, Americans aren’t capable of responsible behavior.

I thought we were just trying to "flatten the curve". What percentage of the population do they think will ultimately get the virus? I thought the number was pretty high? I have medical friends telling me the young and healthy are basically asymptomatic and we should want them getting the virus to build herd immunity? True or false?

If people practiced responsible behavior when it comes to COVID, we probably wouldn’t have had to ‘shut down the country.’ Unfortunately, Americans aren’t capable of responsible behavior.
LOL you realize you're an American right are you the only responsible American? That's a mighty broad paintbrush you've got their brother

Reactions: GolfHacker1
ADVERTISEMENT