ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Brady’s four-game DeflateGate suspension upheld by Roger Goodell

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has upheld New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s four-game suspension for his role in the DeflateGate scandal, according to the NFL. In a statement released by the league office Tuesday afternoon, Goodell stuck with the initial punishment when he received information that Brady destroyed his cellphone.

“On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed. He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone,” said the email from the league. “‎During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device. The destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after the investigators had first sought electronic information from Brady.”

Ten thousand text messages in four months. The further implication here could be that the appeal process potentially made things worse between Goodell and Brady. The conventional thinking, as is often the case with NFL suspensions, was that it would be reduced. Greg Hardy had his suspension — for a domestic violence accusation, no less — reduced from 10 to four games earlier this offseason. And now that Brady allegedly decided to destroy his phone, he’ll be out the same amount of time.

“The commissioner found that Brady’s deliberate destruction of potentially relevant evidence went beyond a mere failure to cooperate in the investigation and supported a finding that he had sought to hide evidence of his own participation in the underlying scheme to alter the footballs,” the NFL’s email said.

According to the report, “at the hearing, Mr. Brady testified that it is his practice to destroy (or give to his assistant to destroy) his cellphone and SIM cards when he gets a new cellphone.” Even if you do believe that, there has to be some question about how Brady is looked at as a quarterback now. How will this new destroyed phone scandal hang over his increasingly bruised legacy?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-suspension-upheld-by-roger-goodell/?hpid=z1

CLBavDcXAAAoRXx.png

I really don't like the Patriots or Tom Brady. But the NFL is way out of bounds here; they're going to get it handed to them by the courts.

I don't understand why they are upset over the destroyed cell, couldn't he have just deleted the messages?

So the guy that made the ruling in the first place upheld his decision, not really a surprise.

Dude destroyed his cell phone the day of being called in during the investigation. Lol, yeah like he is innocent. I mean deflating footballs is pretty petty IMO but really dude? Clearly caught cheating and deserves it.

Dude destroyed his cell phone the day of being called in during the investigation. Lol, yeah like he is innocent. I mean deflating footballs is pretty petty IMO but really dude? Clearly caught cheating and deserves it.

I'm 96% sure he is guilty...but I'm also American enough to realize they have 0 actual proof and that's not right. So they say he's being punished for objecting the investigation, but others (for example Favre) have done the same thing and not gotten nearly as severe (if any) punishment. Also, I don't see how Brady is under any obligation to turn over all of his phone records to the NFL.

Again, I don't like the guy or team and I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on and probably had a role to play in it. But I still think the punishment is wrong.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
I really don't like the Patriots or Tom Brady. But the NFL is way out of bounds here; they're going to get it handed to them by the courts.
The NFL is "corporatism" at its best. And when dealing with any corporate entity, you have no civil or constituional rights.....all you have is the employee handbook. Screw the NFL. They can't deal with their real problem...game fixing, but they jump all over something as minor as this. Complete corporate BS. Meanwhile, they allow theur officials to interpret and adjust the rules during a game as they see fit. The NFL doesn't have a problem...The NFL IS the problem.

Tom Brady is going to court and will sue the NFL. This will
cause major headaches for the NFL Commissioner. Most
fans do not care.

I'm 96% sure he is guilty...but I'm also American enough to realize they have 0 actual proof and that's not right. So they say he's being punished for objecting the investigation, but others (for example Favre) have done the same thing and not gotten nearly as severe (if any) punishment. Also, I don't see how Brady is under any obligation to turn over all of his phone records to the NFL.

Again, I don't like the guy or team and I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on and probably had a role to play in it. But I still think the punishment is wrong.

I'm confused by this, what makes you think he was obligated?

Your employee can't force you to do much, but they can penalize you. They have a CBA.

I'm not sure why you say 0 proof, but I haven't followed this closely. Didn't the ball handlers text him/implicate him?

This is for cheating, not just violating law, but violating the game (depending on your stance on psi). More similar to Pete Rose than Favre.

Even if he deleted the texts from the phone, they'd be recoverable from the memory in it most likely. That is why he destroyed it.

The only thing I don't understand is that I'm pretty sure the phone provider keeps records of all text messages so most likely they would have still been available. I'm guessing that the NFL couldn't have gotten to them, though, since that would only happen if it was the police investigating a criminal matter.

So, Brady lied about deflating the footballs or having it done, then he lied about the reason for his cell phone being destroyed and he purposely impeded the investigation. The dude is guilty as sin and he deserves the 4 game suspension. I don't understand why people are taking his side on this thing.

I love that Bob Kraft went nuts on Roger Goodell this am. It would be geat to see that guy come under some real fire. It is somewhat insane that Goodell is judge and jury on almost everything related to player infractions. I also found it ironic that as i watched the Brady news scrolling across the bottom of the screen, the very next thread was about how LeVeon Bell's DUI/ Drug based suspension was reduced from 3-2 games. Was a funny juxtaposition.

Brady's response:

I am very disappointed by the NFL’s decision to uphold the 4 game suspension against me. I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either.

Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was “probable” that I was “generally aware” of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.

I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.

Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.

To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested. We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone. In short, we exhausted every possibility to give the NFL everything we could and offered to go thru the identity for every text and phone call during the relevant time. Regardless, the NFL knows that Mr. Wells already had ALL relevant communications with Patriots personnel that either Mr. Wells saw or that I was questioned about in my appeal hearing. There is no “smoking gun” and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact they have zero evidence of wrongdoing.

I authorized the NFLPA to make a settlement offer to the NFL so that we could avoid going to court and put this inconsequential issue behind us as we move forward into this season. The discipline was upheld without any counter offer. I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.

Lastly, I am overwhelmed and humbled by the support of family, friends and our fans who have supported me since the false accusations were made after the AFC Championship game. I look forward to the opportunity to resume playing with my teammates and winning more games for the New England Patriots.

The arrogance of Roger Goodell is getting in the way of common sense here. There is no actual proof over something as simple as over inflated footballs yet he upholds this suspension and is willing to go to federal court over this silliness.

I see guys who beat women, abuse children, drive drunk and abuse illegal drugs get suspensions lowered to something similar as to what Brady got.

How do you figure? Why will Brady win?

So the grounds that Goodell is suspending Brady on are:
1) Brady was aware something was happening to the balls.
2) The halftime measurements showed that the balls were deflated (since the initial report this has even come into question).
3) Brady destroyed his phone, so he must be hiding something.

The NFLPA's defense, going beyond the fact that there's no precedence for this sort of suspension, is that:
1) Theoretical awareness isn't enough to warrant a suspension. If you knew your teammate was taking PEDs, should you be suspended? That wouldn't hold water.
2) The league didn't have a process for measuring until two days ago, so there's a total lack of quality assurance in the report.
3) The phone is irrelevant because the league doesn't have a right to it.

So there it is. Play ball.

Not exactly an unbiased opinion, but lays it out pretty well: http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/7/28...ays-out-attack-plan-for-tom-bradys-court-case

I guess Brady should have cold-cocked his wife on camera. That is only a two game suspension.

The NFL is just nuts here. Complete morons. Using the sledge-hammer on Brady and the Patriots here but letting gamblers and crooks ruin the integrity of the game as it is played on the field and doing nothing. Fining ballplayers when they wear the wrong sox......but letting officials make up rules as they go in play-off games.
The NFL acts more and more like the "Rollerball League" of movie picture fame and "we the people" just buy into their corporate BS.

So the grounds that Goodell is suspending Brady on are:
1) Brady was aware something was happening to the balls.
2) The halftime measurements showed that the balls were deflated (since the initial report this has even come into question).
3) Brady destroyed his phone, so he must be hiding something.

The NFLPA's defense, going beyond the fact that there's no precedence for this sort of suspension, is that:
1) Theoretical awareness isn't enough to warrant a suspension. If you knew your teammate was taking PEDs, should you be suspended? That wouldn't hold water.
2) The league didn't have a process for measuring until two days ago, so there's a total lack of quality assurance in the report.
3) The phone is irrelevant because the league doesn't have a right to it.

So there it is. Play ball.

Not exactly an unbiased opinion, but lays it out pretty well: http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/7/28...ays-out-attack-plan-for-tom-bradys-court-case
My favorite is the FACT that the opposing team AND the game officials didn't notice or question the pounds per square inch in the balls being used. Yeah..it must have been a real factor.

Anyone defending Tom has got to be a Pats fan. Dude is guilty. The Pats are cheaters, lucky they haven't been vacated of wins.

Reactions: longliveCS40
The only thing I don't understand is that I'm pretty sure the phone provider keeps records of all text messages so most likely they would have still been available. .

They usually keep record that they were sent/received, but only keep the messages for ~48 hours. Just way too much data to keep otherwise (and deleting them allows them to not need to comply with law enforcement/courts).

Is he guilty.
Anyone defending Tom has got to be a Pats fan. Dude is guilty. The Pats are cheaters, lucky they haven't been vacated of wins.

Is he guilty? Maybe and I wouldn't even have a problem with people that say probably. But there's no proof. If we go by that reasoning our prisons would be full of politicians.

I guess Brady should have cold-cocked his wife on camera. That is only a two game suspension.

The NFL is just nuts here. Complete morons. Using the sledge-hammer on Brady and the Patriots here but letting gamblers and crooks ruin the integrity of the game as it is played on the field and doing nothing. Fining ballplayers when they wear the wrong sox......but letting officials make up rules as they go in play-off games.
The NFL acts more and more like the "Rollerball League" of movie picture fame and "we the people" just buy into their corporate BS.

I'm confused. Are you aware of current players that are gambling/crook-ing on games, that the NFL is aware of it, and they refuse to do anything?

The NFL isn't a moral arbiter of right and wrong (although Goodell sometimes probably thinks so), determining whether someone cheated at the game is easily their #1 concern, and should be. Domestic violence is a societal, and largely criminal issue. So yes, in every sense other than your straw man, the NFL should punish harsher for cheating in football than punching one's wife.

I don't get why that isn't obvious. Do you think your employer should punish you harsher for embezzling/stealing/hitting clients or for hitting your wife?

I am not buying his good old boy, I just happened to replace my broken phone excuse. His personal aid destroyed that morning he was called in. Like I said before the NFL is way over reaching on this, but Brady is also clearly lying/hiding about breaking a pretty petty rule that really didn't hurt the outcome of a game.

I love that Bob Kraft went nuts on Roger Goodell this am. It would be geat to see that guy come under some real fire. It is somewhat insane that Goodell is judge and jury on almost everything related to player infractions. I also found it ironic that as i watched the Brady news scrolling across the bottom of the screen, the very next thread was about how LeVeon Bell's DUI/ Drug based suspension was reduced from 3-2 games. Was a funny juxtaposition.

You do realize, I presume, that the NFL owners (fully supported by Kraft) GAVE Goodell this power, all of his authority, and ok'd him to be "judge and jury".

They love Goodell, he is making them a fortune....well until he pisses off one of their players. See: Kraft.

You do realize, I presume, that the NFL owners (fully supported by Kraft) GAVE Goodell this power, all of his authority, and ok'd him to be "judge and jury".

They love Goodell, he is making them a fortune....well until he pisses off one of their players. See: Kraft.

yes. biggest reason i love this from kraft. hope it continues and becomes a big dumpster fire over the course of the year. god knows the players hate goodell as does the head of the players union, DeMaurice Smith.

I'm confused. Are you aware of current players that are gambling/crook-ing on games, that the NFL is aware of it, and they refuse to do anything?

The NFL isn't a moral arbiter of right and wrong (although Goodell sometimes probably thinks so), determining whether someone cheated at the game is easily their #1 concern, and should be. Domestic violence is a societal, and largely criminal issue. So yes, in every sense other than your straw man, the NFL should punish harsher for cheating in football than punching one's wife.

I don't get why that isn't obvious. Do you think your employer should punish you harsher for embezzling/stealing/hitting clients or for hitting your wife?

Your arugment loses a bit of strength when the rule in question is clearly defined in the rule book as having a punishment, for first time offender, of a 25,000$ fine.

ideally, the league should be very concerned about the integrity of the game. In this case there is a punishment clearly stated for the infraction.

My favorite is the FACT that the opposing team AND the game officials didn't notice or question the pounds per square inch in the balls being used. Yeah..it must have been a real factor.

You have several FACTS wrong in both of your posts. Not even sure where to start.

You have several FACTS wrong in both of your posts. Not even sure where to start.
How about starting with the fact that the refs, who handled the ball more than any player in the game, didn't notice they were "underinflated"........tim...the NFL has problems.....this "inflategate" certainly is not on the list of the Top 10....How about how they have buried information on concussions and brain injuries to players for decades? And there are many, many others........The NFL is damn near unwatchable. Meanwhile, the NFL fleeces the public and keeps cashing the checks. Just not mine.

Brady should bite his tongue and accept the four game suspension. If it had been my decision the Patriots would have been disqualified from participation in the super bowl....

Just wondering if Brady was this big of cheating scumbag while at Michigan.
Patriots are among the best teams as regards not fumbling - it is much easier to hold a deflated ball, especially in cold weather, Probably just more evidence they have been cheating for years. (And cheating at the game you play professionally should be at least as big of deal as what you do in your private life.)

Your arugment loses a bit of strength when the rule in question is clearly defined in the rule book as having a punishment, for first time offender, of a 25,000$ fine.

ideally, the league should be very concerned about the integrity of the game. In this case there is a punishment clearly stated for the infraction.

This is why I never really understood the outrage to begin with. Here's a case where there IS a rule on the books and the NFL cares so much about the inflation of the balls that they didn't have an official process around controlling the balls until the last week or so. If I'm a defensive back and I'm beat deep for a sure TD and I decide to just tackle the WR, am I violating the integrity of the game? Or am I making a calculated decision that the penalty is worth it for the advantage?

I'm no Pats fan, but Tom Brady (and the Patriots) saw a rule on the books and decided to press for advantage on the basis that if it's going to help Brady at all, it's worth the $25,000 fine. They get caught (but less certain as it looks now with more recent information) and the league freaks out with the suspension.

This is so much like the domestic violence stuff in terms of how the league has reacted to public opinion. They suspend Rice for 2 games, but then create a policy where the base position is a 6-game suspension. Then there are several other instances/accusations of violence and none of the players are given the 6-game suspension. They're put on the shelf indefinitely on "exempt" lists and the NFL now looks an inconsistent and incoherent mess.

If I'm a defensive back and I'm beat deep for a sure TD and I decide to just tackle the WR, am I violating the integrity of the game? Or am I making a calculated decision that the penalty is worth it for the advantage?

You don't see a clear difference between the two? One is an act on the field, a normal, football-playing act, that is penalized for specifically omitting it. It isn't "illegal", in that you can't do it, it just caries a violation.

Deflating a football, changing equipment, pretending to be the goalie but actually being the guy with the knuckle-puck are all violating non-gameplay, structural components of the game. I'm not coming up with good words to decide it, but those simply are not allowed. They are illegal. You can not do them.

You can't add weight to your car to make it go faster, you can't put lead in your gloves to make your punches stronger. You can't put vaseline on your pitching ball, hell, to be a better comparison....you can't sneak in a lighter, softer baseball.

I figured this was obvious, and frankly I'm surprised by some's reactions. I guess it all really comes down to your opinion on PSI, that it has a great effect or that it doesn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT