ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Brands interview after Iowa City duals

One thing that stuck out is that they are talking about Marinelli possibly being out through Illinois. Not a good development.

Reactions: Dagboi
For what is worth, I was talking to someone this morning and it seems like there is a possibility that Young will be at 65 and Bull will be at 74. This makes sense from the perspective that while his knee still needs to heal, the bigger picture is that he is trying to put some pounds on. Seeing Young today I have a hard time thinking he can make it at 74 and he is too good to ride the bench.

Reactions: Dagboi
For what is worth, I was talking to someone this morning and it seems like there is a possibility that Young will be at 65 and Bull will be at 74. This makes sense from the perspective that while his knee still needs to heal, the bigger picture is that he is trying to put some pounds on. Seeing Young today I have a hard time thinking he can make it at 74 and he is too good to ride the bench.

You never know what might happen, but Marinelli weighed in today at 164.6 according to the official weigh-in sheets.

You never know what might happen, but Marinelli weighed in today at 164.6 according to the official weigh-in sheets.

I've always thought that Bull would be at 174 by next year, but I think the weight is too stacked to try his hand there this year. Would much rather have him going against the young studs at 165 in his first year out of the gates.

I've always thought that Bull would be at 174 by next year, but I think the weight is too stacked to try his hand there this year. Would much rather have him going against the young studs at 165 in his first year out of the gates.
Umm, 165 might be one of the deepest weights in the country. Hall and Zahid aren't exactly old timers at 174.

Reactions: TarpHawk
This event was 1000% better than it has been in the past. It is almost impossible to judge anything off of beating up on a Jr College or D3 team. But beating up on any D1 opponent is a very good sign. Other than 125 I thought we looked really good. Glenn lost to a tough guy and I think Laux probably ends up being our guy there anyways. Marinelli being dinged up stinks but it is nice that we have a quality backup to step in. The action of the team looked more like teams of the past. Even in some of the close wins they were forcing the action and taking a lot of shots.

Wrestling up a weight with an injured knee doesn’t seem like a good idea. Marinelli was a smallish 165 last year. 174 would be surprising especially with him coming in under 165 today.

Reactions: Knight563
That is the most positive and relaxed I can ever recall Tom in an interview. I see that as a good thing. I’m crediting the morning strolls with Sam Stoll :cool:

Just watched the interview and I agree Tom came off really well here. Just hearing Tom's interviews over the past few months and also the coaches and wrestlers such as Lee talking about a culture change, it really feels like the room is a good environment right now.

I agree, I liked his style here. Watching our coaches today, they were pretty chill during the duals as well. Maybe it was the opponents, but I thought it was a good look.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Cliff notes? I'm in the crowd that doesn't watch videos.
Tom Brands Press Conference Post-IC Duals, Cliffs Notes Version:
  • Vince Turk was phenomenal. Worth the price of admission on his own. Racked up points big-time and was fun to watch.
  • Phil Laux lives the right way. We love Phil Laux. Does everything right, on and off the mat. He has a lot more to offer than what you saw today. . . the cut got to him a little, and with better weight control, he'll be dynamic.
  • We love the spirit in the room these days. Great attitude, guys are focused and having f*** (yes he did use the "f" word several times, for those of you who don't believe he does), and they come to work the right way every day.
  • Stoll got to experience some adversity, and it was good for him. He's coming along.
  • Kaleb Young is a team guy and will do whatever we ask of him. He'll go 65 or 74 at the drop of a hat, even though it means his weight is doing a bit of a "yo-yo" routine. Great attitude, super kid.
  • Gunther showed some good things today at 74, himself. Tough kid.
  • The competition may not have been top-level (no disrespect to them), but I care more about how our guys wrestle than the opponent, and I liked a lot of what I saw today.
  • You've probably seen the last of "Morning Stroll with Sam Stoll", but other projects are in the works. Terry took over for the last installment of "MSWSS" (introducing himself as me) because he thought I lacked energy.
  • We're pulling the shirts off of Lee and Warnerov after Midlands.
That summarizes most of the high points. Overall, Tom was happy with our aggression and liked seeing a lot of back points from our guys.

Tom Brands Press Conference Post-IC Duals, Cliffs Notes Version:
  • We're pulling the shirts off of Lee and Warnerov after Midlands.
That summarizes most of the high points. Overall, Tom was happy with our aggression and liked seeing a lot of back points from our guys.

Took a little poetic license with that last little bit of reporting there, eh, Walter Cronkite? :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT