ADVERTISEMENT

TOM BRANDS interview

What a fantastic interview! I seriously feel like I am a part of the program after reading this. Big props to Todd for asking the right questions and especially to Tom for being so transparent in his responses. Our coaches are the real deal & it is a matter of time before they have us back on top of the college wrestling world! As a fan, I know I am chomping at the bit for the season to start...

Looking for someone fluent in brands to translate:

"Bobby Telford will also remain involved in that role too. He will now take over some camp duties that we need to be more aggressive in. He takes over some equipment issues with our equipment room. We have a new Equipment Manager. We needed somebody that is a little bit more aggressive and a little more of a crackerjack. "

The fu.....

Reactions: Case I H
Great read. Thanks Todd! You are getting better everyday at your job!

That is interesting about Telford no longer being able to work with the college guys regularly since he isn't technically competing.

Why do I have a feeling that other RTCs may not be as stringent in their definition of 'competing' as Iowa?

Reactions: honkey69

"Bobby Telford will also remain involved in that role too. He will now take over some camp duties that we need to be more aggressive in. He takes over some equipment issues with our equipment room. We have a new Equipment Manager. We needed somebody that is a little bit more aggressive and a little more of a crackerjack. "

The fu.....

Well, "crackerjack" refers to someone who is an expert or particularly skilled in an area. I have no idea who the previous equipment manager was, but perhaps the coaching staff felt that they were lacking in that area. Bobby is a very energetic guy, so they liked him for the spot. It also sounded like they really like Bobby within the program and they wouldn't have been able to keep him on the HWC due to his injury. I believe he has to compete a certain number of times per year to remain active, so bringing him on a coach keeps him with the program. That's what I took from it anyway.

What does an equipment manager do in wrestling? Its a pretty big job in football, but shoes/singlet/headgear seems pretty simple.

The fu.....
I speak a little Brands sometimes. I'll attempt to translate, or maybe just guess. ;)

The camps and equipment needed more attention than they were getting due to past budgets, short-staffing, and individual staff interest. Berhow was great with people and will stay that way. M* is busy with recruiting, almost a full-time job these days. TnT are busy with training, coaching, planning, and individual work, and now with women's wrestling, too. Perry is full-time with the HWC. They needed someone a little better with equipment and camp logistics, not top-level things, but VERY important. Bobby Telford is good with these things, and his new job keeps him available to work out with the guys in the wrestling room. Besides, he's just a heck of a good guy to have around.

Try that.

I speak a little Brands sometimes. I'll attempt to translate, or maybe just guess. ;)

The camps and equipment needed more attention than they were getting due to past budgets, short-staffing, and individual staff interest. Berhow was great with people and will stay that way. M* is busy with recruiting, almost a full-time job these days. TnT are busy with training, coaching, planning, and individual work, and now with women's wrestling, too. Perry is full-time with the HWC. They needed someone a little better with equipment and camp logistics, not top-level things, but VERY important. Bobby Telford is good with these things, and his new job keeps him available to work out with the guys in the wrestling room. Besides, he's just a heck of a good guy to have around.

Try that.

Solid. Now what about the equipment? How will the position be made more aggressive?

Solid. Now what about the equipment? How will the position be made more aggressive?
That's probably Brands speak and not English. He likes to mix adjectives, sorta like mixing metaphors. Not to be taken literally.

My guess is that he means proactive or "stay on top of things," like maintain stuff, catalog it, and allot it to individuals, etc. We think of these BIG Ten programs as made of money, but actually resources are probably pretty carefully monitored. Every available nickle will be needed for the new facility, and state budgets are tight, unlike the days of Gable.

Try that.
While you’re translating, what Stoll’s status?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT