ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Petty and Joe Walsh

mwhiton52

Team MVP
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2008
Went to the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Tour concert at Wells Fargo Area in DSM last night. Both these guys are icons and played like it. Walsh did a 90 minute set. Played James Gang stuff and Eagles stuff too He has a great demeanor and appeared to not be put off by not being the headliner. Tom Petty played almost 2 hours and covered all his good stuff. The Heartbreakers are REALLY good. One more thing...Wells Fargo Arena sucks...half the concession stands were not open and the lines at the mean's head are much worse than Kinnicks's.

I once saw joe walsh in the early 90's around the time of damn Yankees , he may have opened for them

I was going to go but the scalped ticket prices never got below about 150. He plays at Summerfest in Milwaukee July 5 - 6. Anyone ever gone to Summerfest? Must have 300 bands over the entire fest.
Would have gladly paid $150. They were $500 for red rocks

Petty was on my bucket list so I paid the price at Stub Hub and caught him here in St. Louis. Played 18 songs or so, short break, 2 song encore.

Band sounded great as did he. He knows how to put together a set list. Played everything you would think he would. Only misses that I had anticipated hearing were no Breakdown and no The Waiting.

Encore included a killer cover of Chuck Berry's Carol.

Would pay to see him again but I think he said this is the last go around.

Saw him free two times at Summerfest early 2000's. Great shows from what I remember. Haven't been to Summerfest in a long time.

Saw Petty open for The Kinks way back in the 70s at the Fox. Outstanding. Mrs. Ed being from Gainesville recognized them as the band Mudcrutch we used to see in bars back then in our salad days.

Tom Petty has a lot of good songs but I lost a lot of respect for him when he sued Sam Smith.

Tom Petty has a lot of good songs but I lost a lot of respect for him when he sued Sam Smith.

He didn't sue Smith. The parties settled before a suit was filed.

And it was another music publisher that noticed the similarity and contacted Smith's publisher, not Petty. Petty isn't the only copyright holder on I Won't Back Down.

He didn't sue Smith. The parties settled before a suit was filed.

And it was another music publisher that noticed the similarity and contacted Smith's publisher, not Petty. Petty isn't the only copyright holder on I Won't Back Down.
I guess I misunderstood, then. I thought Petty's publisher sued Smith and then they settled out of court to give 12.5% of the royalties to Petty and Jeff Lynne.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I guess I misunderstood, then. I thought Petty's publisher sued Smith and then they settled out of court to give 12.5% of the royalties to Petty and Jeff Lynne.

No suit, everything else you say is correct.

I was there too. Great show, especially considering I got my ticket for free when one of my sister's friends backed out Sunday.

I could've stayed for another hour and listened to Petty considering he didn't even get to play songs like Breakdown and The Waiting in those 2+ hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT