ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Shatel Article on Iowa Baseball

Nebraska has not accomplished enough of note to make them anymore than a mere annoyance to me. They are OK in baseball. Respectable in football. Mediocre in basketball. Almost every Iowa football fan I know thinks of Minnesota, Wisconson, Northwestern and even Illinois as more of a rival than the Huskers. Do we want to beat them everytime we play em? You damn right we do. But as much fun as pushing Nebraska around on the Friday after Thanksgiving is going to be again this year the Heroes Trophy won't mean as much as Floyd of Rosedale does...and I think it will be many years until it does.

Nebraska has not accomplished enough of note to make them anymore than a mere annoyance to me. They are OK in baseball. Respectable in football. Mediocre in basketball. Almost every Iowa football fan I know thinks of Minnesota, Wisconson, Northwestern and even Illinois as more of a rival than the Huskers. Do we want to beat them everytime we play em? You damn right we do. But as much fun as pushing Nebraska around on the Friday after Thanksgiving is going to be again this year the Heroes Trophy won't mean as much as Floyd of Rosedale does...and I think it will be many years until it does.

The whole Iowa-Nebraska relationship from the Nebraska point of view has been confusing to me since they joined the Big 10. Iowa is not worthy of being a rival in their eyes. Fine, that's cool. I get it when you have the history they do and playing Oklahoma for years with what was on the line in many of those games. But what exactly do you want Iowa or the Big 10 to do about it? Match you up with OSU or Michigan as your "rival". That would be more laughable given current circumstances than making Iowa OSU or Michigan's rival.

The "not wanting Iowa as a rival" attitude would be more understandable if Nebraska was dominating the West. It's like the average guy who is offended that the best-looking ladies at the school aren't interested in him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT