ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Dungy attacked for Speaking about Fatherhood in Florida with DeSantis

So, if he wants to ban abortion and wants you to stand there for him to do it, you'll pass. I don't believe you.

He is trying to ban abortion past 15 weeks. I completely agree with him doing that and yet I would not stand up there with him.

Only way I would go up there is if I got to give a speech on how I support the bill but he is a gigantic asshole that's toxic to our political system.

But see I would warn him that's what I was going to do because unlike him I'm not an ass.

Lack of fathers in the home is probably the most important social problem we face. How about we all just get behind a good idea no matter who is along for the ride? You might even discover that your fellow Americans that sometimes have different opinions on other issues are not monsters after all.

I don't mind different opinions.

What I mind is people being completely toxic to our political system which is what DeSantis is.

I don't agree with Romney on a lot of shit but he isn't a toxic asshole. I don't agree with the Dems on a lot of stuff but most of them are not toxic assholes. Save for maybe a few in the squad.

Being a communitarian as in generally economically liberal but socially conservative I don't really have a political tribe and am used to people disagreeing with me. What I can't stand is people who spend their time trolling the other side.

If you think that platform hasn’t already been broken in by a continual parade of assholes I don’t know what to tell you.

Biden isn't an asshole. Most of the Dems save for a few members of the squad arn't.

This is mostly a Republican issue.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
WTF? How is choosing not to associate with an asshole "denying the truth"? JFC take your meds.

People can start by not discrediting someone who’s trying to spread truth. What this does is convince others that what they are currently saying doesn’t merit any consideration. This has been the political tactic for some time now.

What the left has done in this case is bring up something that Dungy has said in the past and associate him with a governor that half the country hates. These two things are what directly cause others on the left to ignore truth. If your ignoring it, then truth isn’t spreading the way it should. If truth isn’t spreading the way it should, there isn’t the amount of support there should be for a bill aimed at addressing an issue. If people are divided on the current bill because of who they are championed by, the future bills that would normally come from this idea wouldn’t be adopted in all other states.

Limiting the spread of truth and/or ignoring it just because you think someone is an asshole is the same as denying it. If you believe in this truth, that it would be positive for the country as a whole and improve the lives of children, then it shouldn’t matter who it comes from. Fatherless homes are a country wide issue that no one seems to want to address, and it’s a root cause of a lot of problems we have in this country. Other states should adopt similar stances and bills on fatherhood.

OMG
Like I said I don’t know what to tell you. You are either very dedicated to your naïveté or you’re not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.
Bless your heart.

Elected Dems telling high school kids to stop wearing masks when those kids want to wear a mask?

Elected Dems out selling shirts like "Don't fauci up my Florida"?\

Elected Dems bitching about one of the largest employers in the state expressing it's disagreement with one of their bills?

There is a reason DeSantis makes the news more than any other governor in the US. Not because he's signing conservative bills or advocating for conservative causes . . . a lot of R governors are doing that. No it's because he's purposefully being a troll.

Which is working for him because it gets him coverage and that's his ultimate goal. It certainly isn't serving the citizens of FL.

Reactions: RileyHawk
People can start by not discrediting someone who’s trying to spread truth. What this does is convince others that what they are currently saying doesn’t merit any consideration. This has been the political tactic for some time now.

What the left has done in this case is bring up something that Dungy has said in the past and associate him with a governor that half the country hates. These two things are what directly cause others on the left to ignore truth. If your ignoring it, then truth isn’t spreading the way it should. If truth isn’t spreading the way it should, there isn’t the amount of support there should be for a bill aimed at addressing an issue. If people are divided on the current bill because of who they are championed by, the future bills that would normally come from this idea wouldn’t be adopted in all other states.

Limiting the spread of truth and/or ignoring it just because you think someone is an asshole is the same as denying it. If you believe in this truth, that it would be positive for the country as a whole and improve the lives of children, then it shouldn’t matter who it comes from. Fatherless homes are a country wide issue that no one seems to want to address, and it’s a root cause of a lot of problems we have in this country. Other states should adopt similar stances and bills on fatherhood.
I don't know WTF you're talking about. The left isn't associating Dungy with DeSantis - he's freely associated himself with him. JFC

I figured you wouldn’t and you’re proving my point. Just so you know, Dungy is associating himself with the bill, not DeSantis.
Lol - he's standing right next to him. This isn't something "the left" is painting. It's right in front of your eyes.

Granted, that's never stopped you or others from ignoring the obvious. SMFH

The message isn't wrong, but how we solve that issue is really the important part (assuming it's a problem that can actually be solved). The harsh reality is, there are a lot of fathers locked up in prisons and jails. It's difficult to be a father when you're behind bars. So how do we minimize and divert the ridiculous number of people serving time in this country, especially for nonviolent offenses? We have the highest incarceration rate in the world but no resulting increase in public safety from it. Incarceration has become a business venture here unfortunately. The number of incarcerated people in the US is 10 times what it was 50 years ago. How do we do this better? I really don't know.

Lol - he's standing right next to him. This isn't something "the left" is painting. It's right in front of your eyes.

Granted, that's never stopped you or others from ignoring the obvious. SMFH

Again… You’re proving my point. Do you honestly not have the ability to take a step back from you’re own beliefs for a second and see what’s happening?

Reactions: goldmom
Isn't this largely contingent on the quality of the man that is the father?

I don't think it can be that categorical. There are a LOT of pieces of trash that impregnate women. In some of those cases the kids can't possibly be better off if the man, who's still going to be trash, stays around - imparting on the child their own effed up values, lessons, discipline, habits, etc.

If kids become who they learn from, and who they're exposed to, then in some cases they're going to be better off learning from watching the efforts and dedication of a single mom, than from a loser father who they see doing a bunch of loser stuff throughout their formative years.
Nothing is 100%.

The message isn't wrong, but how we solve that issue is really the important part (assuming it's a problem that can actually be solved). The harsh reality is, there are a lot of fathers locked up in prisons and jails. It's difficult to be a father when you're behind bars. So how do we minimize and divert the ridiculous number of people serving time in this country, especially for nonviolent offenses? We have the highest incarceration rate in the world but no resulting increase in public safety from it. Incarceration has become a business venture here unfortunately. The number of incarcerated people in the US is 10 times what it was 50 years ago. How do we do this better? I really don't know.

You’re not wrong either. No one bill is going to fix the issue. But this is a step in the right direction and discussions around the incarceration of fathers will come as long as there is a real push to address fatherless homes. Bills like these are what starts that progress.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Again… You’re proving my point. Do you honestly not have the ability to take a step back from you’re own beliefs for a second and see what’s happening?
Lol - you claimed that the left is associating Tony Dungy with DeSantis. That's ****ed up thinking. Par for the course.

Elected Dems telling high school kids to stop wearing masks when those kids want to wear a mask?

Elected Dems out selling shirts like "Don't fauci up my Florida"?\

Elected Dems bitching about one of the largest employers in the state expressing it's disagreement with one of their bills?

There is a reason DeSantis makes the news more than any other governor in the US. Not because he's signing conservative bills or advocating for conservative causes . . . a lot of R governors are doing that. No it's because he's purposefully being a troll.

Which is working for him because it gets him coverage and that's his ultimate goal. It certainly isn't serving the citizens of FL.
Like I said...😉

You’re wasting your time.
It’s as if he dropped one tab too many, if you know what I mean?

Reactions: GarryO37
Isn't this largely contingent on the quality of the man that is the father?

I don't think it can be that categorical. There are a LOT of pieces of trash that impregnate women. In some of those cases the kids can't possibly be better off if the man, who's still going to be trash, stays around - imparting on the child their own effed up values, lessons, discipline, habits, etc.

If kids become who they learn from, and who they're exposed to, then in some cases they're going to be better off learning from watching the efforts and dedication of a single mom, than from a loser father who they see doing a bunch of loser stuff throughout their formative years.
Not much when you compare it to zero, and probable influence of peers that also have zero fatherly influence

Who was polled? Willie Brown and his friends?
I do agree that DeSantis isn’t as popular as most that lean right believe. I know I probably come off more liberal on HROT than I really am since most of the arguments are based on social and cultural issues but I am pretty much a moderate Independent. Other moderates I have spoken with seem to agree he is too much like Trump. I don’t think the Republicans would be doing themselves a favor nominating him. Just my opinion.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
I do agree that DeSantis isn’t as popular as most that lean right believe. I know I probably come off more liberal on HROT than I really am since most of the arguments are based on social and cultural issues but not am pretty much a moderate Independent. Other moderates I have spoken with seem to agree he is too much like Trump. I don’t think the Republicans would be doing themselves a favor nominating him. Just my opinion.
He has been targeted - purposely and purposefully - and his style has come across at times as Trump like. This is sort of both a blessing and a curse and frankly I’m not sure he cares.
He’s VERY popular here in Florida and our state is thriving.
Should he run in 24 I look for him to develop a style that will appeal to a broad range of voters.
He really is a smart guy. Yale and Harvard and the Navy JAG Corps plus his little bit of a good athlete self assured manner will help.
Trump has none of that and is just too old.

He has been targeted - purposely and purposefully - and his style has come across at times as Trump like. This is sort of both a blessing and a curse and frankly I’m not sure he cares.
He’s VERY popular here in Florida and our state is thriving.
Should he run in 24 I look for him to develop a style that will appeal to a broad range of voters.
He really is a smart guy. Yale and Harvard and the Navy JAG Corps plus his little bit of a good athlete self assured manner will help.
Trump has none of that and is just too old.
We are going to have to agree to disagree. I think you may be too close to the fire. I also don’t believe he will try to reinvent himself as it gets closer to the election. I could be wrong though.

ADVERTISEMENT