ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins. Feb 25 was his Break out game. Last 8 Games Averages: 12.1 pts, 4.6 rebs, 3 assists, 53% from Three, 52% from 2 Pt Range

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
20 points. Led all Iowa scorers.

2-2 (100%) from 3

6-8 (75%) from 2 point range

2-2 (100%) FTs

5 rebounds (2 offensive)

1 block

Looked really good and CONFIDENT.

MVP of tonight's game.

Really happy for the kid.

March 14, 2022 Update:

On Jan 31, Iowa lost at Penn State 90-86 in double OT. Iowa's record after that game was 14-7, 4-6.

On Feb 6, vs Minnesota, Fran made 2 changes: (1) Jordan was back at starting Point Guard; (2) Tony Perkins was the new starting 2 guard.

The result of this change?

* Iowa has now won 12 of its last 14 and has a record of 26-9.

* They won the B1G Tournament Championship.

* Iowa is a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament

Here are Tony's stats over the last 8 games (Feb 25 thru today):

97 Points...........(12.1 points/game)
37 Rebounds......(4.6 rebounds/game)
24 Assists............(3 assists/game)

His shooting over these Last 8 Games (Feb 25 thru today):

09-17 (53%) from 3
28-54 (52%) from 2
37-71 (52%) Overall Shooting
14-22 (64%) FTs

97 TOTAL POINTS SCORED

Details of Last 8 Games:

Feb 25, at Neb:..........20 pts, 5 rebs, 0 assists, 1 block

2-2 from 3
6-8 from 2
8-10 Overall Shooting
2-2 FTs

Feb 28 vs N'w...............6 pts, 4 rebs, 0 assists, 5 steals
0-1 from 3
3-6 from 2
3-7 Overall Shooting
0-1 FTs

March 3, at Mich:.......13 pts, 4 rebs, 1 assist, 2 steals
1-1 from 3
4-9 from 2
5-10 Overall Shooting
2-2 FTs

March 6, at ILL:..........17 pts, 12 rebs, 5 assists, 1 steal (end of Reg Season)
2-3 from 3
4-10 from 2
6-13 Overall Shooting
3-7 FTs

March 10, vs N'w........6 pts, 4 rebs, 6 assists, 1 steal
2-2 from 3
0-4 from 2
2-6 Overall Shooting
0-0 FTs

March 11, vs RU:.........16 pts, 1 reb, 3 assists (BTT Quarterfinals)
2-3 from 3
4-6 from 2
6-9 Overall Shooting
2-2 FTs

March 12, vs IU:...........8 pts, 3 reb, 5 assists (BTT Semifinals)
0-3 from 3
3-5 from 2
3-8 Overall Shooting
2-3 FTs

March 13, vs Purdue..11 pts, 4 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal (BTT Championship)
0-2 from 3
4-6 from 2
4-8 Overall Shooting
3-5 FTs

Last edited:
FMfrmo0XwAEosLV

The guys subbing have really bought in, come in hair on fire. I give Joe T a ton of credit, So many players this day would pout.

Kris is so close to putting it all together. We get that Tony and Cmac we are really tough

Tony and Conner absolutely carried us to this win. If they hadn’t have been reasonably hot we would be back on the bubble. Nebraska has some talent but they also exposed our ability to be beaten off the bounce. It’s important that we don’t take Northwestern for granted. Now is not a time to get comfortable and sloppy.

The guys subbing have really bought in, come in hair on fire. I give Joe T a ton of credit, So many players this day would pout.

Kris is so close to putting it all together. We get that Tony and Cmac we are really tough

if Kris can keep out of foul trouble? Look out in the BTT and the NCAA Tournament

When Connor doesn't hesitate on the 3 ball it has a much better chance of going in

Tony and Conner absolutely carried us to this win. If they hadn’t have been reasonably hot we would be back on the bubble. Nebraska has some talent but they also exposed our ability to be beaten off the bounce. It’s important that we don’t take Northwestern for granted. Now is not a time to get comfortable and sloppy.

What is it with Fran and offense?

Hopefully someone has the #s better than I do but I think we had 31 points with a few minutes left in the 1st half. And then, magically, we have 88 at the end of the game

20 points. Led all Iowa scorers.

2-2 (100%) from 3

6-8 (75%) from 2 point range

2-2 (100%) FTs

5 rebounds (2 offensive)

1 block

Looked really good and CONFIDENT.

MVP of tonight's game.

Really happy for the kid.
I don't know. He scored 16 pts. vs. Illinois on 12/6/21. Then he scored 71 points in the next 18 games.

Reactions: perryhawk
We've got quite a good players on this team, all with different strengths. If players can their roles and play to their capability this team can advance in the NCAA tourney

Reactions: perryhawk
It's really funny when we win. Where are all the trolls? Tony for all B1G and we should keep Fran for a couple of more games until we lose a game. And not one words about Fran playing his kids let alone wasting a couple of scholarships because they are related....Purdue better look out!!! :cool:

if Kris can keep out of foul trouble? Look out in the BTT and the NCAA Tournament

When Connor doesn't hesitate on the 3 ball it has a much better chance of going in
Some guys are like that. Doodle has a golf buddy who, when he just puts the ball on the tee, draws the club back and swings he usually stripes it down the middle. But when he tees it up, stands behind it looking down the fairway, takes a bunch of practice swings, etc., his shots almost invariably suffer from the golf equivalent of peyronie's disease. But it's difficult to stop some people from overthinking...even when there's ample evidence for better outcomes using the other approach.

Based on his recent games the scout on Conner has probably changed from ignore. Tony will likely play with more confidence, but I don’t expect a significant permanent change in his game this late in the season.

On any given night guys who are getting minutes can make a significant contribution. This is not to downplay what Tony and Conner did last night. We are on the bubble if we lost this game and we would have without them.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
We've got quite a good players on this team, all with different strengths. If players can their roles and play to their capability this team can advance in the NCAA tourney

That was hallmark of the 81 Final-4 team--they finished 5th in B1G with Lester being injured for the B1G season. In the NCAA with Lester directing/scoring as needed, they caught fire with different guys stepping up. Vince Brookins was on a roll shooting the ball and Kenny Arnold. Steve Waite and Kraficism banging. That team overachieved.

Phenomenal game by Tony Perkins. He always seems to play like he's two or three inches taller than he really is.

Love what he brings to this team.
Apparently his shoulder has been hurting. ESPN recap of the game he's quoted as saying his shoulder didn't hurt. He's not going for 20 every night, but if we get more of the early season Perkins that is huge. Strong, big-bodied guard who can also knock down a shot if left open? Yes, very good.

Iowa vs. Nebraska - Game Recap - February 25, 2022 - ESPN

Can't say enough good things about Tony Perkins game last night, but I have to try. He, along with CMac, saved the Hawkeyes. It's that simple. But that's what "team" is all about. Take Keegan out of the game. Fine. Then Tony P and CMac will beat ya. Or Ulis and PMac. Or Kris and Rabraca. Or JBo and Joe T. And Sandfort has had his moments, along with Josh O. Again, it's not about stars, it's about TEAM. Iowa is defining that word right now in the most positive way possible.

Don't wanna guard CMac? Cool. Hit three after three after three. Don't respect Tony P? He'll hit ya from deep, then he'll drive and dunk, then he'll grab a loose ball and score. Oh yah, and they'll play defense like their life depended on it.

Gotta love watching an example of cooperation, of teamwork in a world where that is more rare every day. These Hawkeyes have come a long, long way this season. May their journey continue for a long, long time.

BTW: For those who may be concerned about only winning by 10 @ Nebby, remember that Wisconsin won @ Minny by ONE point earlier this week. Just sayin'.

What is it with Fran and offense?

Hopefully someone has the #s better than I do but I think we had 31 points with a few minutes left in the 1st half. And then, magically, we have 88 at the end of the game
Iowa missed a boatload of bunnies in the first half. One that stood out to me was the 2-handed layup that Standfort missed. No reason for that.

This is how Tony looked in high school. He has the goods. Expect more of this.
When I saw him he was pretty much strictly an inside man. Posting it up and taking it to the rim. No outside shots or 3 pointers. He has really improved and elevated his game with hard work and good coaching.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT