ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins March 6 Game Highlights

What a game! TP gets 26.
The championship game is tonight (Sat) at 7 with Warren Central.

His defense is going to need work. Towards the end he’s in one on one d and the guy blows by him an he barely moves. Normally i would say, eh its just high school an he probably gets by being a superior athlete, but that was the end of a big time close game where he should really be trying to lock down. Ive seen it in a cupl other vids as well. Athleticism and offensive game is obviously there, hopefully he has the desire to improve his defense

Looks as thou he plays under control and he’s unafraid to make big time plays when I counts! Noticed a couple nice steals and some big buckets in crunch time! He looks like he’ll help Iowa’s back court! We could use some.

His defense is going to need work. Towards the end he’s in one on one d and the guy blows by him an he barely moves. Normally i would say, eh its just high school an he probably gets by being a superior athlete, but that was the end of a big time close game where he should really be trying to lock down. Ive seen it in a cupl other vids as well. Athleticism and offensive game is obviously there, hopefully he has the desire to improve his defense

Defense doesn't matter. Just score more points than the other team. :p

His defense is going to need work. Towards the end he’s in one on one d and the guy blows by him and he barely moves. Normally I would say, eh its just high school and he probably gets by being a superior athlete, but that was the end of a big-time close game where he should really be trying to lockdown. I've seen it in a couple of other vids as well. Athleticism and offensive game is obviously there, hopefully, he has the desire to improve his defense

What I noticed is the level of talent and play... are you kidding me?....it's like watching the vids of Ahron Ulis playing against say a team like Simeon or pick another one here in Chicagoland. This talent plays the game above the rim and makes defensive stops and blocks that you just don't see a lot of HS players make which is what sticks out to me

There is a basketball vid of Ohio Football recruit Luke Lachey in the Lounge.....Luke is a hell of an athlete and BB player btw and it's smaller school Ohio BB too but Luke is a man among boys in the game and this is what I see comparable to the overall talent when I watch Tony or Ahron's games.....

Way to go Tony......win it all and so glad he is a HAWK and Ahron Ulis and Luke Lachey too!

Reactions: Stormn Norman
Who's a comp for him? Intrigued what he can bring to the team next year.

Watched several vids and a few games.

Great: athleticism, rebounding (for a guard), mentality (leader, energizer and creator - looks to score and appropriately differs to teammates effortlessly)

Truly good, just not uber-great: shooting, dribbling, passing

My fan-opinion worth nothing: he's an obvious wing (2-3). If he can get skills B10 consistent, has star potential. Has shown marked improvement as senior in skills (big reason he was a sleeper until now). No one ever doubted athleticism.
Outside the box thought: I think if he could learn to defend bigger guys he'd be dynamite as a 4 in a four guard line up (like C.Mac). Has the strength potential to do it and would be offensive match up nightmare.

Comp from a fan: think somewhere between Matt Gatens and Eric May. May perhaps better overall athlete (certainly just a touch taller), Gatens better shooter.

Who's a comp for him? Intrigued what he can bring to the team next year.
Can’t think of a college comp for TP, especially not from Iowa program. But based on them both being combo-like guards of similar height, both strong and athleticism being a strength for their size, I’m going to guess that Donovan Mitchell is someone TP looks up to and dreams of being in the pros. Shooting not a super strength for Tony, but impressed with the work he’s put in to improve that part of his game. Think he’ll be a guy that shoots well enough to keep defenders from sagging off him consistently.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
What I noticed is the level of talent and play... are you kidding me?....it's like watching the vids of Ahron Ulis playing against say a team like Simeon or pick another one here in Chicagoland. This talent plays the game above the rim and makes defensive stops and blocks that you just don't see a lot of HS players make which is what sticks out to me

There is a basketball vid of Ohio Football recruit Luke Lachey in the Lounge.....Luke is a hell of an athlete and BB player btw and it's smaller school Ohio BB too but Luke is a man among boys in the game and this is what I see comparable to the overall talent when I watch Tony or Ahron's games.....

Way to go Tony......win it all and so glad he is a HAWK and Ahron Ulis and Luke Lachey too!
Im not saying there isn’t a ton of talent in that game. Also not saying im not glad he’s a Hawk because it looks like there’s serious potential there. What I stated is not incorrect, go to the end of the video and you’ll know exactly what play im talking about. Scoring isn’t typically a problem for fran teams, we need defenders! and from what I have seen, his needs work.

Im not saying there isn’t a ton of talent in that game. Also not saying im not glad he’s a Hawk because it looks like there’s serious potential there. What I stated is not incorrect, go to the end of the video and you’ll know exactly what play im talking about. Scoring isn’t typically a problem for fran teams, we need defenders! and from what I have seen, his needs work.

I saw the 5-second clip of that D sequence...I also saw the 5-second clip of the defensive block he made to get a key stop of a crucial layin with about 2 minutes left in the game....most HS kids cannot make that play.....he also made a slick steal at the end of the game too. So what's the point really?

Well for me as a HS senior-only....Tony has the athleticism, skills, and talent....one the best HS talents and playing winning BB in the State of Indiana which plays some pretty damn good HS BB so he must be doing a lot of things right.....including playing defense.

I am also sure he will need to improve his game both offensively/defensively at the next level and the great thing is...he has the talent and I bet the drive to do that.

I saw the 5-second clip of that D sequence...I also saw the 5-second clip of the defensive block he made to get a key stop of a crucial layin with about 2 minutes left in the game....most HS kids cannot make that play.....he also made a slick steal at the end of the game too. So what's the point really?

Well for me as a HS senior-only....Tony has the athleticism, skills, and talent....one the best HS talents and playing winning BB in the State of Indiana which plays some pretty damn good HS BB so he must be doing a lot of things right.....including playing defense.

I am also sure he will need to improve his game both offensively/defensively at the next level and the great thing is...he has the talent and I bet the drive to do that.
Playing help defense is totally different than on ball defense. How many times the 3 years bohannon has played have people said, man he just cant keep his defender out of the lane and its such a liability making the defense collapse! Help side defense is great for a good block like he had but to me on ball defense is more important. That clip im talking about, look at his defensive stance, he’s literally just standing there! Then gets blown by without moving! Like i said in my last post, glad he’s gna be a hawk, but his man to man defense needs work. But hey, fran plays a ton of zone so maybe it won’t matter!

Playing help defense is totally different than on ball defense. How many times the 3 years bohannon has played have people said, man he just cant keep his defender out of the lane and its such a liability making the defense collapse! Help side defense is great for a good block like he had but to me on ball defense is more important. That clip im talking about, look at his defensive stance, he’s literally just standing there! Then gets blown by without moving! Like i said in my last post, glad he’s gna be a hawk, but his man to man defense needs work. But hey, fran plays a ton of zone so maybe it won’t matter!

If you're talking about that play where #0 hits the teardrop, you're right poor defensive stance and not moving his feet. But that kid is impressive and I bet he does that to a lot of kids. I'm sure he will play college ball somewhere. But did you notice how a little later he strips the ball from the same kid to ice the game. I say Perkins is the steal of this class in the BIG at least.

If you're talking about that play where #0 hits the teardrop, you're right poor defensive stance and not moving his feet. But that kid is impressive and I bet he does that to a lot of kids. I'm sure he will play college ball somewhere. But did you notice how a little later he strips the ball from the same kid to ice the game. I say Perkins is the steal of this class in the BIG at least.
Yea, there was a lot of talent in that game...but if that kid can do it to him, what do you think big10 wings will do? My first posts and any other posts were not to diminish this kids talents, nor to say i was disappointed fran landed him. But merely to state that from what IVE seen, which is limited to a few video’s, his defense needs work. A lot to be excited about athletically

Yea, there was a lot of talent in that game...but if that kid can do it to him, what do you think big10 wings will do? My first posts and any other posts were not to diminish this kids talents, nor to say i was disappointed fran landed him. But merely to state that from what IVE seen, which is limited to a few video’s, his defense needs work. A lot to be excited about athletically

You're right but maybe it's a tough assignment for him to be guarding good point guards.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
From what I’ve seen this year out of most Iowa’s guards from a defensive standpoint, especially on games they’ve lost, not very good either. Uninspired defense. Late to close out, not being able to get through screens, not being able to get to their man in time to distract a good look on the close out after playing help D , a ton of wide open looks from 3, consistently not being able to stop penetration off the bounce and slow feet at times..

From the videos I’ve seen of Perkins it seems that he has all the tools to be a pretty darn good defender in the big ten and i think Iowa has a good staff and current players that can help him execute well on D.. I believe wanting to play better D for him will be all upstairs... where as some of iowa’s current players, they run up against guys who are just better offensively than they can handle.. not that they don’t know how to play D..

ADVERTISEMENT