ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Ramos to face Nicky Ryan on Oct 2nd.

Nicky Ryan is the younger brother of Gordon Ryan, who last December had a similar bjj vs wrestling matchup against Bo Nickal. Most expect this match to go somewhat similarly to that - Ramos will be able to take Ryan down easily, but will have a limited submission game and is unlikely to be able to do much once the fight goes to the ground.

Here’s a recap of the Bo Nickal match vs Ryan.

Pat Downey also recently faced Gordon Ryan in one of these matches a few months ago. Here’s a recap:

The end sequence is in the video below and interestingly, Ryan actually scored a takedown on Downey as he started to take his back on the mat and Downey stood to avoid it. When the match returned to the ground it really didn’t take long for Ryan to start controlling Downey and putting the pressure on. He locked up a Three-Quarter Nelson in order to keep Downey in place but the pair went out of bounds and were reset. When they were reset with Downey in turtle, Ryan quickly switched to a Body Triangle for control and as Downey stood up, Ryan would use the Three-Quarter Nelson control to drive him back to the mat.

After they hit the mat, Downey decided to tap out despite no submission being in place. Both Ryan and the actual referee seemed to ignore the tap at first, most likely due to the apparent lack of danger, but after Downey was more vocal and threw his mouthguard out, the match was stopped. Gordon Ryan took the win by submission, if you can really call it that

These are about as fun as watching paint dry lol. The highlights are descent sometimes but other than that meh

Tuned in for the Bo match, saw the other dude drop to the mat and crab walk around for a while. Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Even bringing Ramos in is not enough to make to tune in to that garbage.

Tuned in for the Bo match, saw the other dude drop to the mat and crab walk around for a while. Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Even bringing Ramos in is not enough to make to tune in to that garbage.
Agree, that match was very, very boring, however, Bo didn't help. I am not sure he actually took a shot the entire match (knowing he would get submitted). I am not a fan of Gordon Ryan, however, he did offer the takedown to Bo several times, but Bo wouldn't bite (until the end when he was submitted).

Agree, that match was very, very boring, however, Bo didn't help. I am not sure he actually took a shot the entire match (knowing he would get submitted). I am not a fan of Gordon Ryan, however, he did offer the takedown to Bo several times, but Bo wouldn't bite (until the end when he was submitted).
Why are you not a fan of Gordon Ryan?

Yeah so Tony Ramos has about zero chance in a submission only match vs Nicky Ryan. Nicky is a BJJ phenom who rapidly ascended to the rank of brown belt last year. He’s already beaten some high level black belts and has a no-gi win over Uriah Faber. Ryan was 17 years of age at the time. He’s a member of the infamous “Daniher Death Squad”, which probably doesn’t mean much to folks around here, but they are the current top dogs in No-Gi bjj.

Why are you not a fan of Gordon Ryan?
Well, I am a big fan of his Jiu-Jitsu. He makes it look effortless and his positioning is so perfect, like Spencer Lee. Unlike Spencer, Gordon kinda comes across as a douche and he seems to be extremely arrogant. I have heard that he is actually a really nice dude, so maybe it's just his online persona that sucks... Just my opinion :)

Reactions: MilleGinja
Well, I am a big fan of his Jiu-Jitsu. He makes it look effortless and his positioning is so perfect, like Spencer Lee. Unlike Spencer, Gordon kinda comes across as a douche and he seems to be extremely arrogant. I have heard that he is actually a really nice dude, so maybe it's just his online persona that sucks... Just my opinion :)
Got ya. Yeah, I really enjoy and appreciate his abilities but I haven't spent much time listening to him talk or do interviews.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT