ADVERTISEMENT

Too early for a lineup prediction thread?

Mine:

125-Lee
133-Transfer/Glynn
141-Murin/Turk (TnT love Turk)
149-Lugo
157-Kem
165-Bull
174-Bowman (Id love to see Young here)
184-$$
197-Warner
285-Stoll

With the exception of 33, it’s a salty lineup.
I was going to post 1 later, but just saw your thread. I agree with your lineup, except hopefully someone can drop from 41 to 33. Question I have and it might be crazy.....IF, IF nobody drops to 33 or nobody transfers in at that weight, would it be better for Lee to bump up (for best lineup possible and he would still do well) and if we have someone else transfer in/backup take his place at 25? I dont want Lee to bump up as he is nearly a guaranteed champ with bonus when he is in at 25. Just thinking out loud......

Mine:

125-Lee
133-Transfer/Glynn
141-Murin/Turk (TnT love Turk)
149-Lugo
157-Kem
165-Bull
174-Bowman (Id love to see Young here)
184-$$
197-Warner
285-Stoll

With the exception of 33, it’s a salty lineup.

TnT love Turk if he beats Murin for the spot. Otherwise I think they'll spread their love around and start Murin. :) Hopefully we can pull someone into the 33 spot. Kills me that all these small D1 schools have AAs yet we can't have a top 20 guy at 33...WTF!! :)

From Flo and Willie...

Top 10 Returning Points for 2019
1. Penn State - 117pts.

2. Iowa - 84pts.

3. Ohio State - 77.5pts

4. Missouri - 57pts.

5. Michigan - 51pts.

6. Nebraska - 46pts.

7. Cornell - 45.5pts.

8. NC State - 38.5pts.

9. Oklahoma State - 35.5pts.

10. Arizona State - 36.5

Too much of a rumor to give info but it was discussed with folks that are in the know this weekend. Just know that the staff knows the need.
Only matters for duals unless they’re a blue chip recruit or a diamond in the rough. Otherwise not enough points to make up the deficit. That said, coaches have a responsibility to put the most competitive team on the mat.

Here is a list of the top 125 and 133 lbers who are juniors meaning they could possibly be grad transfers next year. Any one of them would help us out a lot at 133.

Seth Gross South Dakota State Junior

John Erneste Missouri Junior
Scott Parker Lehigh Junior
Josh Terao American Junior
Bryan Lantry Buffalo Junior
Cameron Kelly Ohio Junior
Chaz Tucker Cornell Junior

Anthony Tutolo Kent State Junior
Sean Fausz North Carolina State Junior
Ethan Lizak Minnesota Junior
Sean Russell Edinboro Junior
Zeke Moisey West Virginia Junior
Ryan Millhof Arizona State Junior

Only matters for duals unless they’re a blue chip recruit or a diamond in the rough. Otherwise not enough points to make up the deficit. That said, coaches have a responsibility to put the most competitive team on the mat.
But but but, what if PSU finally chokes at Nats? It gotta happen sometime, right?

Reactions: HKI
Here is a list of the top 125 and 133 lbers who are juniors meaning they could possibly be grad transfers next year. Any one of them would help us out a lot at 133.

Seth Gross South Dakota State Junior

John Erneste Missouri Junior
Scott Parker Lehigh Junior
Josh Terao American Junior
Bryan Lantry Buffalo Junior
Cameron Kelly Ohio Junior
Chaz Tucker Cornell Junior

Anthony Tutolo Kent State Junior
Sean Fausz North Carolina State Junior
Ethan Lizak Minnesota Junior
Sean Russell Edinboro Junior
Zeke Moisey West Virginia Junior
Ryan Millhof Arizona State Junior
Out of that list, Russell? We already got one Edinboro dude...

133 is being worked on but we’re not allowed to say that because then we are forced to spill all the sensitive information. I mentioned this elsewhere and I was shamed (even though I have a name and rationale). I was also shamed for mentioning that Turk will be a tough out at 141 and TNT love him (and will try to get him a medical waiver), suggesting that Murin may very well battle Lugo at 149. Having Turk/Happel at 141 (for 3 years) and Lugo/Murin at 149 (for four years) makes more sense than having to find a new 149 in next years recruiting class. And if Murin can easily make 141 then Turk or Happel will need to get bigger soon.

But but but, what if PSU finally chokes at Nats? It gotta happen sometime, right?
I know you're being sarcastic and of course it's no simply because Cael is so strong. LOL, all you have to do is "just have fun"......K. It's Gable all over again and you know it. Only thing that could happen is Cael gets run over by a bus (no ideas now).

I'm not a huge wrestling fan but I'm a huge sports fan and it's hard to come up with a comparison with any coach in ANY sport doing it better than him. Only two in that conversation are Saban and Bellicheck. You could make a case that Cael's achievements over the last 10 years may be more impressive.

Every one of those wrestlers today were talking and Cael words were coming out of their mouths and written all over their persona / attitude. Not sure I've seen better buy in to any coach in any sport. Cael has disciples not just great athletes. Records in the finals clearly bear that out.

Last edited:
I know you're being sarcastic and of course it's no simply because Cael is so strong. LOL, all you have to do is "just have fun"......K. It's Gable all over again and you know it. Only thing that could happen is Cael gets run over by a bus (no ideas now).

I'm not a huge wrestling fan but I'm a huge sports fan and it's hard to come up with a comparison with any coach in ANY sport doing it better than him. Only two in that conversation are Saban and Bellicheck. You could make a case that Cael's achievements over the last 10 years maybe more impressive.

Every one of those wrestlers today were talking and Cael was coming out of their mouth and written all over their overall persona. Not sure I've seen better buy in to any coach in any sport. Cael has disciples not just great athletes. Records in the finals clearly bear that out.
Suriano too? I would be pissed if my coach let Keener and Schup come in, take the starting spot from recruited guys and then lay eggs at Nationals and then take off. Crappy move. That’s the difference. Bowman, Warner and Wilcke were very much involved with the PDIII decision. Lugo will be in the room for a whole year and a half before he takes over....he is a part of the team, not borrowed. Next year we may very well borrow a 133 just to show we can!

Wait til one of those boys doesn’t get the attention they deserve: Teasdale RBY Teske Nick Lee Joe Lee Berge Manville Cassar Busiello etc...

I'm not a huge wrestling fan but I'm a huge sports fan and it's hard to come up with a comparison with any coach in ANY sport doing it better than him. Only two in that conversation are Saban and Bellicheck. You could make a case that Cael's achievements over the last 10 years maybe more impressive.

Every one of those wrestlers today were talking and Cael was coming out of their mouth and written all over their overall persona. Not sure I've seen better buy in to any coach in any sport. Cael has disciples not just great athletes. Records in the finals clearly bear that out.
Even Belichick had 18-1. Penn State wrestling hasn’t underperformed in 8 years. They’re due.

What? Every guy out there this weekend loves their coach, not just at PSU. Ever listen to Gilman, Metcalf or any other Iowa wrestlers talk?

And with that lineup of 49-84, Anyone on this board couldve coached that team to a team title. Cael is a great coach, but let’s not say he’s the second coming of Christ because his lineup is absolutely stacked and he didn’t win squat at ISU when he didnt have the resources that he does now.

Even Belichick had 18-1. Penn State wrestling hasn’t underperformed in 8 years. They’re due.
I don't know until somebody finds out what's going on in that wrestling room every day this isn't gonna stop. Surprised his top assistants haven't been lured away with big money deals. But I guess you could say eventually.

Even Belichick had 18-1. Penn State wrestling hasn’t underperformed in 8 years. They’re due.[/QUOTE
Hall and Nickel are amazing but not helping PSU’s program. Neither is David Taylor. Zain, Joseph and Nolf are class acts and should do all the talking for them.

Lee Marinelli Kemerer Warner and Cass will help us with PR and performance,

Oklahoma State should not be overlooked next year. Fix, Picc, Brock, Lewellan, Joe Smith, White, Kerviet, Gfeller, etc,

What? Every guy out there this weekend loves their coach, not just at PSU. Ever listen to Gilman, Metcalf or any other Iowa wrestlers talk?

And with that lineup of 49-84, Anyone on this board couldve coached that team to a team title. Cael is a great coach, but let’s not say he’s the second coming of Christ because his lineup is absolutely stacked and he didn’t win squat at ISU when he didnt have the resources that he does now.
The point was there isn't a better body of work out there and it's sort of a fact.

The point was there isn't a better body of work out there and it's sort of a fact.
But why does Nickel love Cael? He’s still using moves he’s been hitting since 6th grade? Kid is a tool, sorry I try not to poke at athletes but he opened himself up for it with his ridiculous comments. Even the Cornell kid (Palacio?) that beat Kemerer last year in the semis sounded saner in his post match interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSHAWK
I don't know until somebody finds out what's going on in that wrestling room every day this isn't gonna stop. Surprised his top assistants haven't been lured away with big money deals. But I guess you could say eventually.
Iowa, Ok State, ISU, Minnesota: It’s happened to every other team that’s been on top. Wrestling is tough. One day all of your super studs have a bad day all at the same time.

Reactions: Dagboi
But why does Nickel love Cael? He’s still using moves he’s been hitting since 6th grade? Kid is a tool, sorry I try not to poke at athletes but he opened himself up for it with his ridiculous comments. Even the Cornell kid (Manotti?) that beat Kemerer last year in the semis sounded saner in his post match interview.
I don't know, lost himself in the emotions?? Really don't understand the hating on Nickal this time around. Excellent kid from an excellent family......really haven't seen it before from him. Seen it from Hall but not him. Kids gotta be kids sometimes but that's a fine young man out there.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

Comments like this are just dumb. Cael was what, 2nd, 4th, 3rd @Iowa State in three years? So I guess with those resources he was producing about what Brands produces at Iowa. Won the Conference all three years and was National Coach of the year...yea, he was really sucking it up at ISU.

Auriema - UCONN women's hoops coach

Despite big upset last year, had won about 6-7 straight and about 13-14 total.

Scored 140 points today and won by 88.

Reactions: marisa45
Iowa, Ok State, ISU, Minnesota: It’s happened to every other team that’s been on top. Wrestling is tough. One day all of your super studs have a bad day all at the same time.
Yeah but it hasn't happened in 10 years which is remarkable in itself. I think he coaches with quite a bit of edge and chippiness. Maybe if he loses a little bit of that edge?? But you saw him today, did he look like he was losing his edge to you?

Kids run through walls for him. He's the sort of coach that just bends things to his will. The will is strong, will it fade? Who knows.

Yeah, I'll give you that one. Watched him in the Olympics, he's another one that has disciples, not players. Very impressive man.

Reminds me a bit Russ Rose who was doing a similar thing with women's volleyball but has tailed off the last 4 years or so.

I was going to post 1 later, but just saw your thread. I agree with your lineup, except hopefully someone can drop from 41 to 33. Question I have and it might be crazy.....IF, IF nobody drops to 33 or nobody transfers in at that weight, would it be better for Lee to bump up (for best lineup possible and he would still do well) and if we have someone else transfer in/backup take his place at 25? I dont want Lee to bump up as he is nearly a guaranteed champ with bonus when he is in at 25. Just thinking out loud......
You don’t mess with a potential 4x er

How does our projected dual lineup match up with tOSU, and PSU?
With all due respect!
PSU and Iowa do not have a scheduled dual next year.

However, if they set one up, these are my thoughts:
Lee pins Teske/Teasdale - 6-0
RBY decision over Glynn - 6-3
Nick Lee decision over Turk - 6-6
Lugo toss up with Berge or Verkleeren - hold score to end
Nolf decision over Kemerer - 6-9
Joseph toss up with Marinelli - hold score to end
Hall by TF over Bowman - 6-14
Nickal by fall over Wilcke - 6-20
Warner toss up with Rasheed or Cassar - Hold score to end
Stoll toss up with Nevills - Hold score to end

Assume the toss ups go two to each team and no bonus, that's six points to each team and a 12-26 PSU win.

OSU loses Snyder/BoJo and Tomasello.
Have good recruits, but tough to replace all of that experience.
I would think Iowa and OSU dual is a toss up.

You do know ISU was pretty darn good during Cael's 3 years and PSU not so much before Cael. But hey, don't let facts interfere with opinions. I suppose Cael will never beat the Brands boys either.

Reactions: pawrest01
133 is being worked on but we’re not allowed to say that because then we are forced to spill all the sensitive information. I mentioned this elsewhere and I was shamed (even though I have a name and rationale). I was also shamed for mentioning that Turk will be a tough out at 141 and TNT love him (and will try to get him a medical waiver), suggesting that Murin may very well battle Lugo at 149. Having Turk/Happel at 141 (for 3 years) and Lugo/Murin at 149 (for four years) makes more sense than having to find a new 149 in next years recruiting class. And if Murin can easily make 141 then Turk or Happel will need to get bigger soon.
Since you cant give names, if it does happen, will it solidify (as in potential AA) the 33 spot?

Iowa-OSU guess
125-Lee p whoever they’ll have. Mead/Heinselman? 6-0
133-Pletcher d Glynn 6-3
141-McKenna d Turk/Murin 6-6
149-Lugo d Hayes 9-6
157-Kem d Jordan 12-6
165-Bull d Campbell 15-6
174-Young d Romero? Not sure who they’ll have here 18-6
184-Martin md Cash 18-10
197-Moore d Warner 18-13
285-Stoll md Singletary 22-13

Reactions: SDHN2013

Not saying that could not happen down the road but I find it unlikely Murin is moving 149 any time soon. He and Turk both weighed somewhere between 133 and 141 when practice officially began. Neither was heavier than 141. Now it's possible that this was intentional given the weight loss rules but watching him all year, he is not a big 141.

For comparison, Tom and Terry's alpha weights were 146.5 and 144 at the start of the '89 season. Zap was 135 and Rat was at 138.5. I could absolutely see Max at 133 next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT