ADVERTISEMENT

Too early for a lineup prediction thread?

Not saying that could not happen down the road but I find it unlikely Murin is moving 149 any time soon. He and Turk both weighed somewhere between 133 and 141 when practice officially began. Neither was heavier than 141. Now it's possible that this was intentional given the weight loss rules but watching him all year, he is not a big 141.

For comparison, Tom and Terry's alpha weights were 146.5 and 144 at the start of the '89 season. Zap was 135 and Rat was at 138.5. I could absolutely see Max at 133 next year.
But how much do the new weight loss restrictions curb wrestlers' ability to cut this much weight?

Reactions: anon_hc7hkvtk15hp5
But how much do the new weight loss restrictions curb wrestlers' ability to cut this much weight?
The rules absolutely impact it. You can't stroll into the alpha weigh in at your walking around weight unless you body fat% supports the cut. The rules though do not penalize athletes with less than 5% body fat so if the math does not work in your favor, you need to show up at weight and hydrated. This makes it bit tougher to tell were guys really are walking around. Happel's Alpha was something greater than 149. Could have been 149.5 or 155. That is not released. I'm looking at Murin's alpha weight class (141) vs the size of his opponents and I do not see a big 141.

Reactions: Dagboi
Yeah but it hasn't happened in 10 years which is remarkable in itself. I think he coaches with quite a bit of edge and chippiness. Maybe if he loses a little bit of that edge?? But you saw him today, did he look like he was losing his edge to you?

Kids run through walls for him. He's the sort of coach that just bends things to his will. The will is strong, will it fade? Who knows.
Horse manure, Cael took a job in one of the highest wrestling population states with numerous high level wrestling clubs. It is a was a no brainer to take that job. It is a whole lot easier to win and maintain a national title when kids come into college top 5 nationally.

Unfortunately Brands had had some mega recruiting blunders (149 black hole from Metcalf to Sorenson) and unprecedented injury problems (heavyweight) . Brands needs to start keying in on guys that show scrambling and turning ability. That is what this Iowa team did this Ncaa better than the past.

Horse manure, Cael took a job in one of the highest wrestling population states with numerous high level wrestling clubs. It is a was a no brainer to take that job. It is a whole lot easier to win and maintain a national title when kids come into college top 5 nationally.

Unfortunately Brands had had some mega recruiting blunders (149 black hole from Metcalf to Sorenson) and unprecedented injury problems (heavyweight) . Brands needs to start keying in on guys that show scrambling and turning ability. That is what this Iowa team did this Ncaa better than the past.
We are also in one of the top 3 states nationally for basketball recruits and we still can't out recruit Villanova by a mile. Yea

OK. We're also one of the top 3 states nationally in basketball and we still can't out recruit Villanova, Bucknell, Pitt, Penn, or Temple despite great effort. Yeah, you just hang out a shingle, declare yourself the new National Wrestling power and in a matter of two years go from competent to good, to pretty good, to really good to dominant to dynasty (in 2 Frickin' years) solely with talent despite having Cornell, Lehigh, Drexel, Bucknell, Pitt and Bloomsburg in your backyard. Sorry, is recruiting part of coaching? You should tell the Florida and California schools how badly they're under performing in football, LOL. Stop wearing black and gold colored glasses my friend.

Cael's a monster, instead of debating that, you should accept it and go get your own monster or learn what the F he's doing! Too much whining going on over here from a great wrestling school.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenway4Prez

Losing Seth, Tbag, and Jrent didn't help.

125 Lee
133 Murin
141 Turk
149 Lugo
157 Kemerer
165 Bull
174 The Dealership
184 $$$
197 Warner
HWT Stoll

10 Qualifiers
8 AAs
2 Champs
Team Champs
I love the enrhusiasm but lets be real. First and foremost, Murin will not make 133, so quit. Many question marks still need to be answered. Let the coaches coach and wrestlers wrestle. And dreaming is OK but be a realist. OKIE STATE is the team that very well may shock everyone.
Penn State
Okie State
Iowa

125: Lee
133: Not sure (Big whole)
141: Murin
149: Lugo
157: Kemerer
165: Marinelli
174: Young
184: Wilcke
197: Warner
285: Stoll

All I know is kids who plan on wrestling 133 in college should WANT to come to Iowa because they would get Spencer Lee as a practice partner. Doesn't get much better than that

LOL. Lay off the sauce.

Bookends will score 15 more points with a full year of ACL's healed, and ability to train 100%

149-165 will score 20 more points. The two returners were hurt and Lugo does slightly better than Eagle

184 & 197 score 15 more

141 & 174 score more

Mystery transfer at 133 is icing on the cake

No sauce on this cake Pat

Bookends will score 15 more points with a full year of ACL's healed, and ability to train 100%

149-165 will score 20 more points. The two returners were hurt and Lugo does slightly better than Eagle

184 & 197 score 15 more

141 & 174 score more

I like the enthusiasm but for the bookends to score 15 more points, Stoll would have to score 15 more points. Can't see Lee doing much better than 2 falls, 2 TFs, and decision over Suriano.

184 & 197 score 15 more

141 & 174 score more

Then put down the meth. 174 scores more? How do you figure? 184 scores more? How do you figure. You think lugo is going to outscore Sorensen? Transfer at 133 is nothing but rumors started on here. 50 more points after losing sorensen and adding warner, lugo, and murin is a pipe dream. Complete holes at 33, 74, 84, and as of now not a sure fire AA at 41.

Then put down the meth. 174 scores more? How do you figure? 184 scores more? How do you figure. You think lugo is going to outscore Sorensen? Transfer at 133 is nothing but rumors started on here. 50 more points after losing sorensen and adding warner, lugo, and murin is a pipe dream. Complete holes at 33, 74, 84, and as of now not a sure fire AA at 41.

Lee probably pins his way thru to the finals. Maybe a tech there

Stoll can win. He is the highest returner

I see Young getting a few at 174

$$$ is down to his proper weight. Kudo's to him for wrestling up these past two years.

Yes, I believe Lugo is a top 3 guy next year.

We'll see Stud

$$$ is down to his proper weight. Kudo's to him for wrestling up these past two years.

We'll see Stud
I'm with B-Nic! You've only just started to see what Lee is capable of.....just wait until everyone scatters out of 125 in fear the next few years. You could see from the outset that Suriano didn't want to be on the mat with him, and no-one's gonna pick down against the kid again. Who would want to wrestle like that? Besides DeSanto.

And Big Sam will get his legs under him, healed and strong, and learn to dominate with some improved offense. This was his first tourney, don't forget. Lots of room for this roster to improve, as great as they achieved vs. expectations this year. Future = :cool:

We'll see Stud
Ya we will. Lay off the drugs so you'll be around to see it.
I dont care if cash is at 97 or 84, he ain't gonna do anything. Young is a 65 at 74, aint gonna do anything. With the way Stoll wrestles he could end up just the same next year.

Ya we will. Lay off the drugs so you'll be around to see it.
I dont care if cash is at 97 or 84, he ain't gonna do anything. Young is a 65 at 74, aint gonna do anything. With the way Stoll wrestles he could end up just the same next year.
Better not disagree with bnicolls..... cash will score more at 84, He’s not cutting any weight now at 97. Either young or bowman will score at 74. Both Sam and Alex will be healthier and be top three or better. Lugo is tough and he will score in a down 49 weight. Biggest question is will Turk continue to improve or will Max take over at 33. Either way we will be improved there. Plus adding Jake who will be an AA.

Your second paragraph says it all.

Are there walls around the PA border which won't let Brands come in?

Why can't he recruit in PA?. In fact he has, with Kemerer and now Lee.

Brands closes on one great kid and Sanderson closes with 3 great kids.

Sanderson is simply a much better recruiter.

Serious question here. Does Carl only recruit Mormon kids? He has a lot of religious kids on his team and I know several have taken missions. Jw since the mention that his wrestlers talk just like him.

We'll see Stud

On your prognostication history:

I would love to see WFL get a few extra $$. So back to my original post and my crack about the OP. I’ll “split” the bet with you on two of my main points of contention with the OP. $50 that says Marinelli scores <16. And $50 that VJ +3.5 outscores Marinelli in Cleveland. (I’ll pay $50 total if VJ MFors and doesn’t wrestle at NCAA. Will you do same for AM?)

OK, but you keep track and lmk after Nats

Marinelli had a great year, so I will donate $50 anyway once you post your confirmation of donating $100.

Reactions: Pat_Pendleton
Lineup:
125: Lee= Champ
133: Transfer= hoping for rd of 12. 133 gets all 8 back plus Suriano, Fix & probably Lizak
141: Murin/Turk= Low AA-rd of 12. A lot coming back at 141 next year also.
149: Lugo= Top 5, as crazy as that sounds it's Very possible.
157: Marinelli=Top 4, ok I am going to get blasted for this but I honestly believe this is happening. I might also add he is a bad matchup for Nolf. Jo Jo should be back in the mix here unless he is at 165.
165: Kemerer= Top 3, he gets to eat and hopefully stops growing.
174: Young= Low AA to rd of 12. He has been packing on some Good weight and he is definitely a upgrade!!
184: Bowman/Wilcke= Low AA to rd of 12. I like Bowman due to more offense and he seems to want it more. Cash could surprise me but as crazy as it sounds I think Bowman is better for the team
197: Warner= Top 3, going to similar year to Lee. He he NOT that good but you guys will really like what he brings to the table.
Hwt: Stoll= Top 2, it will be Nevils & Sam in the finals. Similar to Coon & Snyder. Neither not as good but it will be those 2 and then everybodyelse. Battle for 3rd will be interesting between 1 RS Frosh(Singletary) and 1 True Frosh(Stevensen).
Should be a 4 or 5 team race. Psu, Iowa, Oky State, Ohio State and NC State.

Ya, it's one thing to be positive, its another to think the team is going to improve by 50+ points. Thats called delusion.

Look dude, we were picked for 10th, and got third. Bull was close and just missed it.

I'll make the bet with you too on next year

You've leveled personal attacks simply because you don't agree with my opinion. Nice. You do seem cranky, so I'd suggest a solid enema as it seems you haven't had a good bowel movement for several days.

Lineup:
133: Transfer= hoping for rd of 12. 133 gets all 8 back plus Suriano, Fix & probably Lizak
157: Marinelli=Top 4, ok I am going to get blasted for this but I honestly believe this is happening. I might also add he is a bad matchup for Nolf. Jo Jo should be back in the mix here unless he is at 165.
174: Young= Low AA to rd of 12. He has been packing on some Good weight and he is definitely a upgrade!!
184: Bowman/Wilcke= Low AA to rd of 12. I like Bowman due to more offense and he seems to want it more. Cash could surprise me but as crazy as it sounds I think Bowman is better for the team
197: Warner= Top 3, going to similar year to Lee. He he NOT that good but you guys will really like what he brings to the table.
Hwt: Stoll= Top 2, it will be Nevils & Sam in the finals. Similar to Coon & Snyder. Neither not as good but it will be those 2 and then everybodyelse. Battle for 3rd will be interesting between 1 RS Frosh(Singletary) and 1 True Frosh(Stevensen).

What amount of points would you predict based on above?

184 & 197 score 15 more

141 & 174 score more

PSU scored 140 this year with 8 AA’s, 5 finalists and 4 champs. I don’t believe 150 is realistic given the Iowa lineup suggested. I believe 115-120 is more realistic.

Lineup:

Lugo top 5 wouldn’t surprise me. He did beat Kolodzik at Midlands didn’t he?

Also, not sure if NC State will be top 5, they’ll be good though. They lose Jack, Renda and Macchiavello if I remember correctly. Reenan will be in the lineup though.

Agreed. Where were we donating to?
Wrestling For Life
http://www.wrestlingforlife.org/index.php/donate

Hello, “PSU Mike”

You donated $50.00 USD to Wrestling for Life
Thank you for using PayPal
Donation Details
Date: March 19, 2018 at 3:55:10 PM PDT
Transaction ID: 03H66997GU745121J
Purpose: Wrestling For Life
Donation to: Wrestling for Life
Donation from: r.michael.xxxxxxxx@gmail.com
Donation amount: $50.00 USD

Total amount of this transaction
$50.00 USD

GKvqELyizpoO-9TnYYenS6WVYW3oC4-bNM1PRU0w7RQ6Kjz_gGJ5VchdMcFTCn8niQ5tkjfRHE9ORSocG9gE-oAqSFF28G2SDZmyMllrNqphKu1_GDBpMUWQNKu59WyAdEEWvL0xLgdwMvbAhK4BpDb7gRCslqqXFpBdYu0fVcSx4JpruJJYE00ZP3ovM4C1ZLhxFK57F5Ho8pgCh6sMqe8rPoT99X8lV-D3AryQ14OtmzmbqEIqp-2AURdIY0nw9z3hWPOgAum_9-f9eUP18TG1FNGBkCOcCul1OB8cc16da9bvVhmKnkNFFd_Ud5v1UzW7JeEsje6t3tIxzTmbCNQpqEKYBjcFo_eMP0r4SU3wgaqX0NSLI7z7QrqOI4NusDTj9uNujk_q9zTkzA=s0-d-e1-ft

Look dude, we were picked for 10th, and got third. Bull was close and just missed it.

I'll make the bet with you too on next year

You've leveled personal attacks simply because you don't agree with my opinion. Nice. You do seem cranky, so I'd suggest a solid enema as it seems you haven't had a good bowel movement for several days.
Leveled personal attacks? LOL, im sorry you're so sensitive that you think "put down the sauce" is a personal attack. And picked for 10th by who? I saw 1 site pick us for 10th, and they have no credibility. Anyone with half a brain knew this team wouldn't finish worse than 4th, 5th at worst if lee wrestled. Without lee 5th or if it completely fell apart 6th. 10th LOL.
You say between stoll and lee +15. So you're saying stoll will score 12 or more points next year compared to this year? Also LOL. 141 if murin wrestles is probably low AA at best. With absolutely nothing at 33 and close to nothing between 74 and 84 where are you getting 50+ more points? Like i said, its one thing to be positive, but you're on delusion level. Enjoy that until next year when iowa scores about 120.

PSU scored 140 this year with 8 AA’s, 5 finalists and 4 champs. I don’t believe 150 is realistic given the Iowa lineup suggested. I believe 115-120 is more realistic.
Exactly. Not sure if his calculator is broke or what. Just pulling numbers out of his arse.

Lineup:
Could Bull and Kem switch spots??? Serious question...... as Bull looks pretty damn good sized for 65

Reactions: Grip220
Leveled personal attacks? LOL, im sorry you're so sensitive that you think "put down the sauce" is a personal attack. And picked for 10th by who? I saw 1 site pick us for 10th, and they have no credibility. Anyone with half a brain knew this team wouldn't finish worse than 4th, 5th at worst if lee wrestled. Without lee 5th or if it completely fell apart 6th. 10th LOL.
You say between stoll and lee +15. So you're saying stoll will score 12 or more points next year compared to this year? Also LOL. 141 if murin wrestles is probably low AA at best. With absolutely nothing at 33 and close to nothing between 74 and 84 where are you getting 50+ more points? Like i said, its one thing to be positive, but you're on delusion level. Enjoy that until next year when iowa scores about 120.

Bozo

Read the first and 2nd post. I'm LOL that you don't have the balls to make a prediction

Wrestling For Life
http://www.wrestlingforlife.org/index.php/donate

Hello, “PSU Mike”

You donated $50.00 USD to Wrestling for Life
Thank you for using PayPal
Donation Details
Date: March 19, 2018 at 3:55:10 PM PDT
Transaction ID: 03H66997GU745121J
Purpose: Wrestling For Life
Donation to: Wrestling for Life
Donation from: r.michael.xxxxxxxx@gmail.com
Donation amount: $50.00 USD

Total amount of this transaction
$50.00 USD

GKvqELyizpoO-9TnYYenS6WVYW3oC4-bNM1PRU0w7RQ6Kjz_gGJ5VchdMcFTCn8niQ5tkjfRHE9ORSocG9gE-oAqSFF28G2SDZmyMllrNqphKu1_GDBpMUWQNKu59WyAdEEWvL0xLgdwMvbAhK4BpDb7gRCslqqXFpBdYu0fVcSx4JpruJJYE00ZP3ovM4C1ZLhxFK57F5Ho8pgCh6sMqe8rPoT99X8lV-D3AryQ14OtmzmbqEIqp-2AURdIY0nw9z3hWPOgAum_9-f9eUP18TG1FNGBkCOcCul1OB8cc16da9bvVhmKnkNFFd_Ud5v1UzW7JeEsje6t3tIxzTmbCNQpqEKYBjcFo_eMP0r4SU3wgaqX0NSLI7z7QrqOI4NusDTj9uNujk_q9zTkzA=s0-d-e1-ft

Just did the $100. Thanks for remembering and donating to a good cause

ADVERTISEMENT