ADVERTISEMENT

Too much stalling and get rid of RT PLEASE!

Both teams blatantly stalled as a tactic and for the love of Gable can we please get rid of riding time?! I see zero way any casual fan at all got any excitement whatsoever out that dual.
Modern era wrestling Gobblin. It’s a dirty little secret but finals night in March has sucked because of it. If stalling isn’t called more aggressively then there won’t be any changes

Imo after 2010 changes were made to the stall call. Now stalling is out of control. It’s an epidemic and Iowa is guilty of it as well. Pretty sad thing to happen to the sport I grew up loving and wrestling in.

PSU stalled? Ref said they didn’t.
sure-air-quotes.gif

Modern era wrestling Gobblin. It’s a dirty little secret but finals night in March has sucked because of it. If stalling isn’t called more aggressively then there won’t be any changes

Imo after 2010 changes were made to the stall call. Now stalling is out of control. It’s an epidemic and Iowa is guilty of it as well. Pretty sad thing to happen to the sport I grew up loving and wrestling in.
I found it an odd but such a suitable coincidence that one of my labs yakked up his dinner halfway through the 3rd period of Dean/Warner.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a wrestling legit run and dance backward to end a match and not get hit with a call. It had no effect on the outcome of the match, so why wasn't it called?
They wouldn’t want those mean, nasty boos from the retarded PSU fans that don’t even know what stalling is.

Trying to get casual fans into college wrestling has not been easy. Iowa vs PSU should be a great night to get people watching the sport however a lot of these matches were beyond boring. Change needs to happen.
But who is fighting some reasonable changes to encourage more action? The coaches....if so why???

Btw, while I agree some matches were boring, it's been said before that in high stakes duals with good wrestlers on both sides, I don't think it's realistic to expect constant high flying action, much as we might want it. Did you find the high scoring (1 sided) 184 match exciting in a true wrestling sense? I didn't, and not just because our guy took a shellacking.

I have been resistant in the past, but I think I'm finally on board with implementing a pushout rule in folkstyle. The argument against is usually that it will just become sumo, but that doesn't seem to be the case in free at all. It seems to actually force more action in the center. Not so much tonight, but some of the worst inconsistency/ugly wrestling comes with how they call the current edge stalling rules.

I've always been against the notion of switching to freestyle since I am such a traditionalist, but every year I grow a little more open to the idea.

Me too. Freestyle used to be like watching paint dry and they changed the rules up and its f** to watch. I like it better than folk. No where to run to for the stallers and less ways to game the system.

I've always been against the notion of switching to freestyle since I am such a traditionalist, but every year I grow a little more open to the idea.
I don’t like the freestyle “interpretations” of exposure. I prefer the step out freestyle rule to the inconsistent backing out stalling calls (157 tonight). RT just sucks. Stand em back up if no turns like freestyle. JMO

Me too. Freestyle used to be like watching paint dry and they changed the rules up and its f** to watch. I like it better than folk. No where to run to for the stallers and less ways to game the system.

the ball grab era is the dark ages, so if thats your reference point i understand. pre ball grab and post ball grab freestyle was/is entertaining .

Both teams blatantly stalled as a tactic and for the love of Gable can we please get rid of riding time?! I see zero way any casual fan at all got any excitement whatsoever out that dual.
I am that casual fan, only watching wrestling when Iowa duals and the nationals.
I told my no wrestling interest friends to give it a try, #1 vs #2, that there will be fireworks.
Unfortunately, it was anything but, and I wonder why.

There seemed so little offense and I was wondering if it was good defense or guys not wanting to chance opening themselves up to counter moves. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

And should Lee have taken a different approach to getting the fall instead of piling up points?

I've come to enjoy watching, I just don't fully understand the strategies.

PSU does a lot of stuff well and gaming the system to keep people on the mat is definitely one of them. You can tell it's coached and practiced to move from one "technique" to another to keep people down and it's a big part of their close match effectiveness. Good for them and good for winning if you can get away with it but it's really boring stuff. The sitting on the ankle, figure 4 on the leg and just blatantly grabbing and holding an ankle are 3 absolutely boring tactics.

Hypothetical question: do you see any moral distinction between top stalling and stalling from neutral?

Last edited:
Hypothetical question: do you see any moral distinction between top stalling and stalking from neutral?
Not really, but it seems in most referees eyes it’s more distinguishable on the feet and more ways to get the guts to make the call. Like mentioned here I’d be much more okay with watching a guy “game the system” from the top position as long as he had to earn a TD to get there. Start each period from neutral and make a push out rule if you’re not going to go full blown free.

Get rid of riding time and reset guys to their feet if there's a stalemate or clearly no intent to score from either guy. Bottom guy only gets an escape point if he earns one. Balances out takedown to the nonsense 4 point nearfall rule too. As I mentioned in the psu thread I think only 3 guys between both teams looked to score from top. The 5 second count rule ruined so much of top wrestling with guys dropping to an ankle, adjusting to a chop, and repeating indefinitely with no real effort to turn. It's hard to watch.

Get rid of riding time and reset guys to their feet if there's a stalemate or clearly no intent to score from either guy. Bottom guy only gets an escape point if he earns one. Balances out takedown to the nonsense 4 point nearfall rule too. As I mentioned in the psu thread I think only 3 guys between both teams looked to score from top. The 5 second count rule ruined so much of top wrestling with guys dropping to an ankle, adjusting to a chop, and repeating indefinitely with no real effort to turn. It's hard to watch.
The 5 second counts actually make it worse than if refs just called it when they see it like they should IMO. With the 5 seconds the guy basically knows there are only a few positions they have to worry about and with the count they just hold and release as needed to make sure they don't get to 5.

If all the refs called matches like that guy we had earlier this year (at Purdue I think) It would certainly help but as decades go by whistles keep being swallowed and it never changes. I am full on in favor of:

1. Step out from neutral. When it happens just give the point but don't stop action so edge scoring can still occur like now.
2. No riding time at all or no riding time without back points being earned.
3. If no top scoring happens in 30 seconds bring them both back up. Neutral action has a lot more excitement and scoring opportunities, especially with a step out rule.
4. No escape points for free releases. The top guy can alert the ref with a signal or verbally if he wants to give a release.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I am that casual fan, only watching wrestling when Iowa duals and the nationals.
I told my no wrestling interest friends to give it a try, #1 vs #2, that there will be fireworks.
Unfortunately, it was anything but, and I wonder why.

There seemed so little offense and I was wondering if it was good defense or guys not wanting to chance opening themselves up to counter moves. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

And should Lee have taken a different approach to getting the fall instead of piling up points?

I've come to enjoy watching, I just don't fully understand the strategies.
I think you’re right on the counter statement. PSU makes hay on re shots.
If you can ride guys you don’t need much offense.

The positive side of Spencer not getting the fall, is the points he racked up which is part of the tie breaker criteria if the dual ended in a tie. The pin would have been better.

Exciting wrestling contains flurries of action, so you can’t brink or go to the fridge or you’ll miss it. Like the first twenty seconds of the Kennedy match, even though points weren’t scored there was action. The Siebrecht match when he had the bear hug and didn’t convert.
Staying away when you’re ahead with short time at the end of a period or match is also a strategy, albeit boring.
What you like to see is what Murin did to seal the match. You’re ahead 2-1 go get the takedown and seal it.
If you’re Warner you have to get away. Another exciting part of wrestling is watching the other guy break. As long as it’s the guy you’re rooting for.

Reactions: ewe_turn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT