ADVERTISEMENT

Took a second look at the Illinois game from last season.

NevadaHawk

HR Legend
Jul 2, 2001
Colorado USA
Man, we came out flat in the first quarter. Our OL was getting smoked and Petras was making some errant throws. The defense was not much better as Brandon Peters, (Ill QB), started out 8/8 for 101 yards and 2 TDs. There were also blowing open some big holes in their running game. We were down 14-0 and things were looking dire.

About midway through the second half we started to move the ball and then Pertas hit LaPorta over the middle for a TD. From that point forward the game changed completely around in our favor. The OL got out of it's funk and Petras began to throw with more touch and accuracy. The defense came alive and starting stuffing the run and breaking up passes. Peters who began 8/8 would miss on his next 7 attempts. Before you knew it Iowa put 35 unanswered points.

Some offensive highlights: Petras would finish the game 18/28 for 220 yards and no picks. Goodson had 92 yards rushing. Sarge ran tough between the tackles. Shaun Beyer made a great catch in the end zone with two guys on him for a TD. ISM ran a reverse for 31 yards and caught a short pass for a TD. He also ran an end around for another TD. Big game for Petras and ISM.

Defensive Highlights: Merriweather had a perfect pass breakup in the end zone that looked like a TD for Illinois. Koerner and Moss had a couple of nice pass break ups as well. Van Vandenburg had a couple of tackles for losses and was all over the field. Campbell and Nixon stood out as well. Belton broke on a pass to the outside and nearly had a pick. Taylor had a good day punting the ball.

Late in the game the broadcast put up a very interesting stat. Iowa is number one in the country for holding opponents under 25 points for 20 consecutive games. With the wins over Illinois and Wisconsin, that streak now stands at 22.

Reactions: Herkmeister
If the d-line can be as good as I think it can be, the defense next year could be pretty scary. It has the potential to be KF’s most dominant defense (Yes, I’m 100% serious about that). I’m not saying it will, but it definitely has that potential. I’m being serious, the only thing that will hold us back from the West title next season will be QB play. We just need Petras to build off those last 3 games, and continue to take steps forward. I am very excited for this fall.

Petras was Jekyl and Hyde in that game and Wiscy. Horrible early then superb in the second half of both games. I hope we see more of the second-half guy this year. He has a world-class arm. I hope the decision making reaches his talent level.
Totally agree with your observations gray hair.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Petras was Jekyl and Hyde in that game and Wiscy. Horrible early then superb in the second half of both games. I hope we see more of the second-half guy this year. He has a world-class arm. I hope the decision making reaches his talent level.
Yes!!! If Petras can stay consistent, and we see 2nd half of games last year the whole season this year, he’s going to be dangerous.

Reactions: Torg and NevadaHawk
If the d-line can be as good as I think it can be, the defense next year could be pretty scary. It has the potential to be KF’s most dominant defense (Yes, I’m 100% serious about that). I’m not saying it will, but it definitely has that potential. I’m being serious, the only thing that will hold us back from the West title next season will be QB play. We just need Petras to build off those last 3 games, and continue to take steps forward. I am very excited for this fall.
No way will this be Ferentz’s most dominating defense. It all starts with the D-line for Iowa. We’re very thin there, at best.

Reactions: TKingpin
No way will this be Ferentz’s most dominating defense. It all starts with the D-line for Iowa. We’re very thin there, at best.
Agree on the best D statement. Still think HICI is spot on with other being a very good defense and the D line will be very deep but untested. I like the potential and projectors of talent in the Iowa system currently.

I believe that was the game in which I said it was possibly Petras’ worst quarter, but his best game. Definitely Jekyll and Hyde.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
ADVERTISEMENT