ADVERTISEMENT

Tooth pain under a 12 year old crown

ClarindaA's

HB Legend
Jun 3, 2002
Thinking root canal? I thought the crown would keep the remaining tooth healthy. Face and tooth pain is awesome, makes me appreciate when it didn’t hurt.

• Sad
Reactions: h-hawk
Thinking root canal? I thought the crown would keep the remaining tooth healthy. Face and tooth pain is awesome, makes me appreciate when it didn’t hurt.
You’ll need X-rays to make sure you don’t have an abscess. I would avoid a root canal and opt for tooth extraction and a tooth implant. Root canals kill the tooth and make the eventual tooth extraction much more difficult. You’ll be much happier in the long run.

Get it looked at quick.

Waited too long for something similar, it wasn’t a pleasant experience.

Parks And Recreation Pain GIF

Almost 100% of time if you are that much in pain the dentist is gonna prescribe you amoxicillin for the infection and some pain reliever regimen for a week before they fix it.
Next time in Mexico come back with amoxicillin and you'll thank yourself later. When you feel it come on do what they are gonna tell you to do anyway and you won't be in unbearable pain until your appointment.
God speed my friend. Tooth pain is up there with being a Nebraska fan.

Almost 100% of time if you are that much in pain the dentist is gonna prescribe you amoxicillin for the infection and some pain reliever regimen for a week before they fix it.
Next time in Mexico come back with amoxicillin and you'll thank yourself later. When you feel it come on do what they are gonna tell you to do anyway and you won't be in unbearable pain until your appointment.
God speed my friend. Tooth pain is up there with being a Nebraska fan.
Yeah, it feels like I blew half my face off in a previous life.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Sucks man. I had this happen on an old crown heading into a weekend once. I was taking shots of whisky all weekend to numb it.

Endontist did a retreat on it. Few years later, same shit. So he sends me to the oral surgeon. They did a reverse root canal, called like apico or something. They went in and cut the root at the base, treated it from that side, and closed it back up. That was probably 5 years ago. No issues since, knock on wood.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
See your dentist first, might be an infection of some sort. An x-ray should figure that out quickly. On that note, do you floss/brush regularly? When's the last time you had your teeth cleaned?

If the above isn't the problem, you got 12 years out of the crown. That's a pretty good lifespan. But if not an infection, chances are you're going to need a new crown no matter what and whether a root canal is needed is difficult to say.

Anyway, get to your dentist ASAP no matter what.

Reactions: Gimmered
See your dentist first, might be an infection of some sort. An x-ray should figure that out quickly. On that note, do you floss/brush regularly? When's the last time you had your teeth cleaned?

If the above isn't the problem, you got 12 years out of the crown. That's a pretty good lifespan. But if not an infection, chances are you're going to need a new crown no matter what and whether a root canal is needed is difficult to say.

Anyway, get to your dentist ASAP no matter what.
Just had a cleaning 2 weeks ago, no cavities. I did lose a tooth behind the crown 5 years ago. I flossed as best I could, but the crown was so tight to the other tooth, I ended up getting decay on the base of the tooth that abutted the crown.

Just had a cleaning 2 weeks ago, no cavities. I did lose a tooth behind the crown 5 years ago. I flossed as best I could, but the crown was so tight to the other tooth, I ended up getting decay on the base of the tooth that abutted the crown.

Hmmmm, interesting. I take it that the pain began after the cleaning.

Yeah...unless you get really lucky here, you're probably in for (best case really) a new crown. Just guessing of course, but I've got I believe 4 crowned teeth and they can definitely ruin your day. One thing I do know, you just don't want to let it linger very long. I've been lucky in that I've had my dentist for 30 years now. If I have a hot tooth, he usually finds time quickly to at least figure out what's going on.

Good luck.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Hmmmm, interesting. I take it that the pain began after the cleaning.

Yeah...unless you get really lucky here, you're probably in for (best case really) a new crown. Just guessing of course, but I've got I believe 4 crowned teeth and they can definitely ruin your day. One thing I do know, you just don't want to let it linger very long. I've been lucky in that I've had my dentist for 30 years now. If I have a hot tooth, he usually finds time quickly to at least figure out what's going on.

Good luck.
Thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT