ADVERTISEMENT

Tootsie

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I am of an age (47) where I was too young to have seen the movie as a kid, and I never had an interest in watching it. We had tickets to the traveling musical Tootsie, so we watched the movie. It was hilarious and a very good movie. I am not a musical junkie, but I enjoy them a lot, and I thought a few which have come out in the last decade or so have been amazing, like Wicked, Dear Evan Hansen, and Hamilton. So, we were at Tootsie last night at the DSM civic center and it was horrible. There were a few funny moments but gawd, it would just never end, until thankfully it did. Not a single memorable song or one I would consider intentionally listening to on Spotify. Some of the physical comedy was funny, but they milked the scenes forever, until I was thinking, dude, it's not THAT funny. Then there were lines where they hammered you with their wokeness, which I felt was for cheap hoots and hollers from some in the crowd. I mean we all paid a lot of money to come see a musical about a struggling actor who dressed, sang, and talked somewhat like a woman for over 1/2 of the show; if you are trans or whatever, we get it, we are on your side. Did anyone here enjoy it, other than its character Jeff?

Reactions: h-hawk and mstp1992
I went and was generally underwhelmed. Nowhere near as good as the movie. I expected a laugh a minute.

I think there were two memorable and great songs: Jeff’s “Sums it Up” and Sandy’s “What’s gonna happen”.

Not terrible but pretty run of the mill. And the wokeness tidbits were weak.

I went and was generally underwhelmed. Nowhere near as good as the movie. I expected a laugh a minute.

I think there were two memorable and great songs: Jeff’s “Sums it Up” and Sandy’s “What’s gonna happen”.

Was "Sums it up" the first song of the second act? If so, that was pretty funny.

And I was sitting there I thinking to myself this is almost as long as Les Mis!?!?

Well, how was Tootsie for the CaroinaHawkeye crew? Am I a fun-hating curmudgeon, or was it as horrible for you as well?
It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I really liked the song the female lead sang in the bar, kind of a bluesy number. The male lead was rather weak, and they seemed to drag too many(almost all of them) scenes. We've seen worse shows, but not many.

Reactions: Tenacious E
It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I really liked the song the female lead sang in the bar, kind of a bluesy number. The male lead was rather weak, and they seemed to drag too many(almost all of them) scenes. We've seen worse shows, but not many.
I think my dislike was exacerbated by the fact we took our kids who hated it, and we were missing UFC 271 which I had paid for and we watched on a delay when we got back. I am sure my son and I were the only ones in theater thought looking at the time, anxious to get back home to watch mixed martial arts.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
I am of an age (47) where I was too young to have seen the movie as a kid, and I never had an interest in watching it. We had tickets to the traveling musical Tootsie, so we watched the movie. It was hilarious and a very good movie. I am not a musical junkie, but I enjoy them a lot, and I thought a few which have come out in the last decade or so have been amazing, like Wicked, Dear Evan Hansen, and Hamilton. So, we were at Tootsie last night at the DSM civic center and it was horrible. There were a few funny moments but gawd, it would just never end, until thankfully it did. Not a single memorable song or one I would consider intentionally listening to on Spotify. Some of the physical comedy was funny, but they milked the scenes forever, until I was thinking, dude, it's not THAT funny. Then there were lines where they hammered you with their wokeness, which I felt was for cheap hoots and hollers from some in the crowd. I mean we all paid a lot of money to come see a musical about a struggling actor who dressed, sang, and talked somewhat like a woman for over 1/2 of the show; if you are trans or whatever, we get it, we are on your side. Did anyone here enjoy it, other than its character Jeff?
Would it surprise you that Wicked will turn 20 next year?

Reactions: Tenacious E
Would it surprise you that Wicked will turn 20 next year?
tom-hanks-sully.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT