ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Essential Rock Albums?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I ran across this list. I figured I could get some more recommendations from HROT.

I'm so old and out of touch I haven't even heard of some of these. OTOH, where are the great rock albums of the 60s, 70s or 80s? Surely some of them deserve mention.

1. Red Hot Chili Peppers - 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' (1991)

2. Faith No More - 'Angel Dust' (1992)

3. Tool - 'Undertow' (1993)

4. Soundgarden - 'Superunknown' (1994)

5. Nine Inch Nails - 'The Downward Spiral' (1994)

6. Hole - 'Live Through This' (1994)

7. Foo Fighters - 'Foo Fighters' (1995)

8. Oasis - '(What's the Story) Morning Glory?' (1995)

9. Queens of the Stone Age - 'R' (2000)

10. Green Day - 'American Idiot' (2004)

This list is "contemporary" rock albums. Judging by the dates I'd say "contemporary" in this case means the past 25 years. None of these albums would have made a Top 10 list in the 60s.

And where the hell are the Black Keys? 'Brothers' might be the best album I've heard since the Stones were in their prime.

This list is "contemporary" rock albums. Judging by the dates I'd say "contemporary" in this case means the past 25 years. None of these albums would have made a Top 10 list in the 60s.

And where the hell are the Black Keys? 'Brothers' might be the best album I've heard since the Stones were in their prime.

Thanks. My eyes went right by the "contemporary" bit.

I ran across this list. I figured I could get some more recommendations from HROT.

I'm so old and out of touch I haven't even heard of some of these. OTOH, where are the great rock albums of the 60s, 70s or 80s? Surely some of them deserve mention.

Well I am old and will add some older stuff. Also, I was never that big of a beatles fan.

1. Blood on the Tracks, Dylan. For the most part, Bob got away from the long rambling stuff and wrote some excellent tight songs.
2. The Who, Live at Leeds. Band at its peak, best live album ever.
3. Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed. Just a ton of their classic stuff, still play the heck out of it.
4. The Clash, The Clash. Raw power unleashed and topics were important.
5. Big Star/# 1 Record. Highly influential, gorgeous guitars. Can be a little too spiritual at times. 13 and September Gurls still hit me where I live.
6. Hunky Dory, Bowie. Perverted and awesome at the same time.
7. The Dirty South, Drive By Truckers. A concept album that works and rocks. Another one with a band at the height of its powers.
8. Guided by Voices, Bee thousand. Those guitars, the lo fi awesomeness of it still resonates with me.
9. The Midnight Organ Fight, Frightened Rabbit. Band at its best. A concept album about a breakup and the song writer spills his guts about lust, loathing, self hatred, thoughts of suicide, sexual jealousy, sexual disgust. Just awesome.
10. The Smiths, The Smiths. Just has a place in my heart. Was in Oxford England when this was playing everwhere with the girl I married. John Marr's great jangly guitar and Morrissey's am I gay or am I not gay act. Interesting songs.

God I am leaving out a ton of great stuff.

In no real order for me:

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St
Oasis- Definitely Maybe
QOTSA- Like Clockwork
Black Crowes- Amorica
Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever
311- Grassroots
Built to Spill- Keep It Like a Secret
Pearl Jam- VS
Radiohead- The Bends
STP- Purple
RHCP- Blood Sugar Sex Magic
System of The Down- Toxicity

Albums suck- even the supposedly great ones. For instance, in order to listen to the Beatles Sgt Peppers LP, you have to sit through 'Fixing a Hole' and 'Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite'. Personally I'd need a gun to my head to successfully achieve that.

Some personal favorites of mine:

Vulgar Display of Power - Pantera
AM - Arctic Monkeys
Vol. I/II - Hurt
The Autumn Effect - 10 Years
Undertow - Tool
Pretty Hate Machine - NIN
Rubber Factory - The Black Keys

Reactions: hexumhawk
Well I am old and will add some older stuff. Also, I was never that big of a beatles fan.

1. Blood on the Tracks, Dylan. For the most part, Bob got away from the long rambling stuff and wrote some excellent tight songs.
3. Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed. Just a ton of their classic stuff, still play the heck out of it.
5. Big Star/# 1 Record. Highly influential, gorgeous guitars. Can be a little too spiritual at times. 13 and September Gurls still hit me where I live.
7. The Dirty South, Drive By Truckers. A concept album that works and rocks. Another one with a band at the height of its powers.
8. Guided by Voices, Bee thousand. Those guitars, the lo fi awesomeness of it still resonates with me.
9. The Midnight Organ Fight, Frightened Rabbit. Band at its best. A concept album about a breakup and the song writer spills his guts about lust, loathing, self hatred, thoughts of suicide, sexual jealousy, sexual disgust. Just awesome.
10. The Smiths, The Smiths. Just has a place in my heart. Was in Oxford England when this was playing everwhere with the girl I married. John Marr's great jangly guitar and Morrissey's am I gay or am I not gay act. Interesting songs.

Good list.

I would add Bob's follow up album "Desire" also. Blood on the Tracks is my favorite.

Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street, Beggars' Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed
Neil Young: Rust Never Sleeps, Tonight's the Night, On the Beach
The Replacements: Pleased to Meet Me, Tim
Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Drive-By Truckers: Southern Rock Opera
Big Star: #1 Record

Not all qualify as rock, but here's probably my 10 favorites:

Pearl Jam - Ten
Green Day - Dookie
Sublime - Sublime
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
The Clash - London Calling
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Cure - Disintegration
Uncle Tupelo - No Depression
Zeppelin - IV
Stones - Let it Bleed

Several more classic old albums -

Layla - Derek and the Dominos
Who's Next - The Who
The Allman Brothers Live at the Filmore East

Lots of great albums mentioned, but I'll add a couple of my personal favorites not already listed:

Creedence Clearwater Revival -- "Cosmo's Factory"
AC/DC -- "Back in Black"
Black Sabbath -- "Paranoid"
The Kinks -- "The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society"

honorable mention
Iggy & The Stooges -- "Raw Power"
Dead Kennedys -- "Raw Fruit for Rotting Vegetables"
Rage Against the Machine -- "Rage Against The Machine"

Albums suck- even the supposedly great ones. For instance, in order to listen to the Beatles Sgt Peppers LP, you have to sit through 'Fixing a Hole' and 'Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite'. Personally I'd need a gun to my head to successfully achieve that.

I can't think of any bad songs on Def Leppard's High and Dry.

10? I can think of maybe 25...but here's 10, with many painful decisions. For instance, Madman_1 is absolutely correct, High n Dry by Def Leppard is a perfect hard rock album. No skipping tracks on that one, definitely in my all time top 10.

These are mine...

Stones - Let It Bleed
Hendrix - Are You Experienced
ACDC - Powerage
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Led Zeppelin - IV
Def Leppard - High n Dry
Van Halen - Fair Warning
The Beatles - The White Album(s)
Big Wreck - In Loving Memory Of...
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

Here's my list, and it's not a greatest album ever list or anything, just "here's SSG T's must have top 10"

The Sonics - Here are the Sonics (1965) : Pretty close to the earliest punk recording.
The Stooges - Funhouse (1970) : Possibly the best punk album ever.
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon (1970) : Yeah it's prog rock, so what, that era of KC was a great, great band and this is an incredible album
Television - Marquee Moon (1977) : First time I heard it I thought "wow that's weird." It grew on me
The Clash - London Calling (1979) : Probably the first "popular" punk album
Joy Divison - Unknown Pleasures (1979) : First time I heard it I thought "wow that's weird." It grew on me.
Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monster (1983) : My favorite album from my favorite band
REM - Fable of the Reconstruction (1985) : I was in HS in the mid-80's and hated hair metal, that's means I liked REM...suck it
Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing (1991) : I heard "Long Division" and went Whoa.
Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk (1996) : I heard "You're Just a Baby" and had the same reaction.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl (2005) : The closest I will come to liking folk or country, despite this being neither

Yeah, I get it, there's no "popular" albums on my list. I don't care, these are the 11 albums I think everyone should listen to.

* The 11th album is in honor of Spinal Tap, everything should go to 11

Iggy & The Stooges -- "Raw Power"

I debated this or Funhouse. I like Raw Power better for different reasons, but I just think Fun House is more Stooges-like. Heck I think Search and Destroy is the best rock song ever recorded.

I don't see how that first list could possibly have missed Pearl Jam's Ten? If you were just doing 1990s "rock", that has to be one of the first choices???

I debated this or Funhouse. I like Raw Power better for different reasons, but I just think Fun House is more Stooges-like. Heck I think Search and Destroy is the best rock song ever recorded.

I debated about throwing in Fugazi or Minor Threat, but as Minor Threat they had only 1 studio album.

Hard to go wrong with much of anything involving Ian MacKaye.

I debated about throwing in Fugazi or Minor Threat, but as Minor Threat they had only 1 studio album.

Hard to go wrong with much of anything involving Ian MacKaye.

Yep, he's kind of like Henry Rollins in that regard.

Here's my list, and it's not a greatest album ever list or anything, just "here's SSG T's must have top 10"

The Sonics - Here are the Sonics (1965) : Pretty close to the earliest punk recording.
The Stooges - Funhouse (1970) : Possibly the best punk album ever.
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon (1970) : Yeah it's prog rock, so what, that era of KC was a great, great band and this is an incredible album
Television - Marquee Moon (1977) : First time I heard it I thought "wow that's weird." It grew on me
The Clash - London Calling (1979) : Probably the first "popular" punk album
Joy Divison - Unknown Pleasures (1979) : First time I heard it I thought "wow that's weird." It grew on me.
Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monster (1983) : My favorite album from my favorite band
REM - Fable of the Reconstruction (1985) : I was in HS in the mid-80's and hated hair metal, that's means I liked REM...suck it
Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing (1991) : I heard "Long Division" and went Whoa.
Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk (1996) : I heard "You're Just a Baby" and had the same reaction.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl (2005) : The closest I will come to liking folk or country, despite this being neither

Yeah, I get it, there's no "popular" albums on my list. I don't care, these are the 11 albums I think everyone should listen to.

* The 11th album is in honor of Spinal Tap, everything should go to 11

I would say there is a fair share of "popular" albums on this list. Pretty representative of the proto-and post-punk milieu.

If we're talking about contemporary albums on that original list, I don't see any Nirvana. Love them or hate them Nevermind changed things. Also would have to add Rancid's "...and Out Come the Wolves" on this list. Outstanding album.

I'm sure there are others if I thought more about this.

If we're talking about contemporary albums on that original list, I don't see any Nirvana. Love them or hate them Nevermind changed things. Also would have to add Rancid's "...and Out Come the Wolves" on this list. Outstanding album.

I'm sure there are others if I thought more about this.

Oooh, I completely forgot about "...and out come the wolves"

Boston's debut
Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan
Springsteen - Born to Run
Eagles - Hotel California
AC/DC - Back in Black
Pearl Jam - 10
GNR - Appetite for Destruction
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood
Zep 4

Bonus 11th one - Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon

Some others (may blur lines of rock and something else)
The Velvet Underground and Nico
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young - Deja Vu
Son Volt - Trace
Whiskeytown - Stranger's Almanac or Faithless Street
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Spiritualized - Ladys And Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space
Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead, American Beauty
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town, Nebraska

Last edited:
Reactions: wondergrape
A few I failed to Mention now looking back:

GNR- Appetite
White Stripes- Elephant
Grateful Dead- Working Mans Dead
RATM- Evil Empire

Good call on whoever mentioned Belle and Sebastian. Underrated band; love Catastrophe Waitress and Life Pursuit are fab.

Tool - Aenima
Radiohead - OK Computer
GNR - Appetite
Led Zeppelin - IV
Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon
Eagles - hotel California
Nirvana - never mind
Pearl jam - 10
Beatles - white album
Metallica - black

Some personal favorites of mine:

Vulgar Display of Power - Pantera
AM - Arctic Monkeys
Vol. I/II - Hurt
The Autumn Effect - 10 Years
Undertow - Tool
Pretty Hate Machine - NIN
Rubber Factory - The Black Keys
Wow 10 Years...it's been a while since I've seen them mentioned anywhere but I used to love that CD when it was new (coincidentally about 10 years ago).

Since the question is rock, not hard rock, I'd say that Bat Out Of Hell needs serious consideration too and I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet. And no I'm not 50+ years old.

Back in my youth I realized a "great truth" thanks to Led Zeppelin. There were 2 people looked at Led Zeppelin.

One group really liked them and would say something like "I love Led Zeppelin. Every album has several really good songs."

The other group didn't like then and would say something like "Led Zeppelin sucks. Every album only has several really good songs."

In those days, when we played "records," an album with one side having no weak songs was often considered a great album.

Band of Gypsys - Live at Filmore East
Beatles - Abbey Road
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Radiohead - Kid A
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Led Zeppelin - I
White Stripes - Icky Thump
Sublime - Sublime
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
SRV - Texas Flood

Got damn OP. Your list makes me want to become a conservative.

i haven't thought of my own top 10 in so long, that i think i'd have a hard time putting that list together. the first album on 'my' list that came to mind was Wilco's 'AM' - and that should probably be on the OP's list too (given the time frame)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT