ADVERTISEMENT

Top 50 High school wrestlers by IA Wrestle

I will try and go first.

1 I think Alex Thomsen looks more and more like a must get. He has got to be one of the top talents to come out of the state in years, question is where does he fit in a college lineup and is Iowa closing the door by recruiting too many guys in front of him?
2 Marcus Coleman and Chase Shiltz are 3 and 4 on the list. I would like to land one of these guys IMO.
3 Nelson Brands is too low at 13.

Reactions: Azchief32
I will try and go first.

1 I think Alex Thomsen looks more and more like a must get. He has got to be one of the top talents to come out of the state in years, question is where does he fit in a college lineup and is Iowa closing the door by recruiting too many guys in front of him?
2 Marcus Coleman and Chase Shiltz are 3 and 4 on the list. I would like to land one of these guys IMO.

Thompsen is in a class of his own. Schiltz and Coleman are nice but I doubt they get to much of a look. I'm not aware of Iowa recruiting either of them either. Brands duh. He's improving rapidly. He was at 52 a couple weeks ago. I hope we see him at 38 or 45 later in the year to see how he matches up with high level guys.

I really like Reeves and Fought. Fought is tiny and he should be a title contender at Fargo at 100. Reeves has split with Teske and pounded Briscoglia. I wonder if he stays up at 120 or if goes down to 110 for uww or 113 at Fargo.

Reactions: Azchief32
I will try and go first.

Legit point. With all we have, I don't think we need him to be honest unless he is a 149 and Brands outgrows 149. I'll take our projected 141s in his age class (be it Renteria or Teasdale)

Thompsen is in a class of his own. Schiltz and Coleman are nice but I doubt they get to much of a look. I'm not aware of Iowa recruiting either of them either. Brands duh. He's improving rapidly. He was at 52 a couple weeks ago. I hope we see him at 38 or 45 later in the year to see how he matches up with high level guys.

I really like Reeves and Fought. Fought is tiny and he should be a title contender at Fargo at 100. Reeves has split with Teske and pounded Briscoglia. I wonder if he stays up at 120 or if goes down to 110 for uww or 113 at Fargo.

Did you spell most of those names wrong on purpose or are you just that talented? ;)

Legit point. With all we have, I don't think we need him to be honest unless he is a 149 and Brands outgrows 149. I'll take our projected 141s in his age class (be it Renteria or Teasdale)

Yeah that's what I was thinking. They said Teasdale might be 141/149, the same size as Murin, Happel, and Turk. There isn't a ton of overlap with Happel and Turk, but you have to imagine with the way Thomsen is wrestling he will be in a position to wrestle for just about whatever team he wants to.

As good at Thomsen is, I don't see him as a must get. There are better kids out there and we already have a commit from one in Teasdale. It all works out because I don't think the kid likes Iowa much.

I am perplexed why Waterloo IA. doesn't have names on this list? Back in my day Waterloo West dominated. What would it take to get cities like Waterloo to produce so they could be a feeder to the Hawkeye program? As a side note here's a piece of Bob Siddens, who just turned 91 recently, biography.

Under Bob Siddens, West Waterloo had a dual meet record of 327 wins, 26 losses and 3 ties. In that time, West established a state record of 88 consecutive dual meet wins over a period of seven years. Siddens' teams won 11 state titles, and from 1965 until 1972, his teams claimed six of eight state champion crowns. West Waterloo was also state runner-up seven times and finished third three times under Siddens. Siddens coached 130 place winners at state, including 51 individual champions. Dan Gable, perhaps the best wrestler ever produced in the United States, was a pupil of Siddens.
http://www.iowawrestlinghalloffame.com/inductees/bob-siddens.html

Last edited:
Reactions: pinters
I am perplexed why Waterloo IA. doesn't have names on this list? Back in my day Waterloo West dominated. What would it take to get cities like Waterloo to produce so they could be a feeder to the Hawkeye program? As a side note here's a piece of Bob Siddens, who just turned 91 recently, biography.

Under Bob Siddens, West Waterloo had a dual meet record of 327 wins, 26 losses and 3 ties. In that time, West established a state record of 88 consecutive dual meet wins over a period of seven years. Siddens' teams won 11 state titles, and from 1965 until 1972, his teams claimed six of eight state champion crowns. West Waterloo was also state runner-up seven times and finished third three times under Siddens. Siddens coached 130 place winners at state, including 51 individual champions. Dan Gable, perhaps the best wrestler ever produced in the United States, was a pupil of Siddens.
http://www.iowawrestlinghalloffame.com/inductees/bob-siddens.html

Waterloo wrestling has been down for some time. About 5 years ago none of the 3 Waterloo schools had a state qualifier. That said, Waterloo did produce an NCAA champ two years ago in Gadsen from ISU and a good recruit two years ago in Harrington.

I know at a couple of the earlier post season tourneys he was registered at 113 and did end up competing. I assume the issue was making it, because he's weighing almost 130.

Reactions: Omahahawk86
Waterloo wrestling has been down for some time. About 5 years ago none of the 3 Waterloo schools had a state qualifier. That said, Waterloo did produce an NCAA champ two years ago in Gadsen from ISU and a good recruit two years ago in Harrington.

Waterloo East also had a state qualifier back in 2014 named Jamir Moore, but I see this year he was a state runner-up for Waverly. That certainly isn't helping Waterloo when the best guys are transferring out.

The schools with"Waterloo" in their name have not been top flite for quite a while. But Cedar Falls, Waverly S-R and Gilbertville DB have all won state titles in the last several years. I think Waterloo is listed as the hometown of own Brandon Sorenson.

The schools with"Waterloo" in their name have not been top flite for quite a while. But Cedar Falls, Waverly S-R and Gilbertville DB have all won state titles in the last several years. I think Waterloo is listed as the hometown of own Brandon Sorenson.
That would be Denver High School in Cedar Falls, IA.

Reactions: DirkTang1

Cedar Falls hasn't been in the same galaxy as a state wrestling championship in a long time. Waterloo Columbus won a state title in roughly the last decade or so, though.

They're coming. Coleman was my neighbor before moving to Ames. Columbus and East are building good kids. We have some new clubs starting. They'll get back.

Maybe Waverly Shellrock, Denver, Don Bosco, Union are getting the Waterloo boys, maybe that is the case. I guess what I am getting at, is maybe it's time ex-Iowa stars' (plural) start elite clubs like Strittmatter's Young Guns, in Waterloo and other major Iowa cities. I've read Jody makes a nice living on his club. Here is a list of Iowa clubs sanctioned by USA Wrestling. http://www.iowawrestling.org/page/show/348795-iowa-usa-wrestling-sanctioned-clubs

Maybe Waverly Shellrock, Denver, Don Bosco, Union are getting the Waterloo boys, maybe that is the case. I guess what I am getting at, is maybe it's time ex-Iowa stars' (plural) start elite clubs like Strittmatter's Young Guns, in Waterloo and other major Iowa cities. I've read Jody makes a nice living on his club. Here is a list of Iowa clubs sanctioned by USA Wrestling. http://www.iowawrestling.org/page/show/348795-iowa-usa-wrestling-sanctioned-clubs

You are correct. We'll be going to Waverly unless something changes at the high school level and two of our studs already went to Bosco. That just a couple of kids in my oldest son's class. I'm sure others have done the same at other schools.

I think Columbus will keep their triple crown winner and a kid that could claim Iowa's title for most state and national titles though. His dad is the coach, however he could possibly end up at Denver.

You are correct. We'll be going to Waverly unless something changes at the high school level and two of our studs already went to Bosco. That just a couple of kids in my oldest son's class. I'm sure others have done the same at other schools.

I think Columbus will keep their triple crown winner and a kid that could claim Iowa's title for most state and national titles though. His dad is the coach, however he could possibly end up at Denver.

Who's the Columbus kid and how old is he?

There are a whole lot of youth wrestling clubs in eastern Iowa, most of which are run by former Iowa wrestlers. Not sure which ones have a presence in Waterloo/Cedar Falls, but I'm confident that there's a club opportunity not far from that metropolitan area.

He's in 4th grade but has been held back one or two times. I've been on the predicament message boards a few times in the past and daddy is pretty proud of little Johnny. Little Johnny will take on everyone in the world at any time and it doesn't matter that he is a couple years older then his competition. That is what I know in a nutshell.

Example... This was under the topic 2015/16 Redshirting Class.
Oh snap I thought no one knew. I thought it was my little secret.LOL

Look all I care about is that my son wins till he gets to 8th grade. Then he will be burned out and quit.
My son obviously sucks at wrestling and football and everything. I had to hold him back. He would never win anything if I didnt.
Sounds like a lot of butt-hurt.

Oh and last year when he won the USA triple crown it was only because I red shirted him. Oh wait that is age based.

Guess you need to find another reason to tell you kid why he keeps loosing.

Redshirting, holding back, starting late whatever you call it is not going away. Google it. Other states are doing it in record numbers and it has helped many kids with athletics and academics.

It doesn't matter till you get to hs and my son probably won't wrestle in hs so stop working about my son and/or others and focus and yours.

This will be the 4th year my son wrestles in and places at aau state in 3rd/4th grade. Yes as a 2nd grade he placed,then he also place 2nd as a 3rd grader, then won it as a red shirt 3rd grader and unless my son gets deathly sick he will win it again as a 4th grader. if your kid is in my kids bracket you will loose. You would have lost last year also when he wasn't a red shirt.
It sounds like your butt-hurt has made you blind to the facts.
Facts like my kid has wrestled up 2,3 & 4 years difference throughout his career. As well as given up over 10lbs just to be on teams. (He was still winning!)
All we want to do is have fun and wrestle and that is what we are doing. If my son's redshirt takes a podium spot from your kid.
So that's your crybaby problem.
No one cares when you get older if you got held back in the 3rd grade.
Did you win a High School state title? No one ask if you got redshirted in elementry school.

Wolf could you please correct my spelling and grammar errors, as I am to busy counting titles that only max and i care about

I am not hurt at all.
Actually
My son and I are really happy with all the decisions we have made. Ask him he is not ashamed of doing what was best for him.
Sorry you worry more about other people's kids than you do your own.
I won't tell you how to raise your window licker and you can stop assuming your my sons life career coach.

Reactions: pinters
He's in 4th grade but has been held back one or two times. I've been on the predicament message boards a few times in the past and daddy is pretty proud of little Johnny. Little Johnny will take on everyone in the world at any time and it doesn't matter that he is a couple years older then his competition. That is what I know in a nutshell.

Just read the other post. Wtf? Is this guy the head coach at Waterloo Columbus? He makes Souci look like dad of the year.

Also, I can't believe Souci was telling us about a 4th grader but that's another issue.

Just read the other post. Wtf? Is this guy the head coach at Waterloo Columbus? He makes Souci look like dad of the year.

Also, I can't believe Souci was telling us about a 4th grader but that's another issue.
I'm pretty sure he's not a Waterloo Columbus coach, but he does let people know how much his son wins and he sees no shame in holding his kid back to be a better wrestler. If you've ever seen this guys kid wrestle in his grade division it is obvious he has a couple years on the competition.

The amount you brag about your child on a message board, whether he was held back or not, is inversely proportional to that child's ultimate success in the activity you are bragging about.

Wyatt Wriedt is the most interesting one on there. I'd never seen him wrestle or even heard of him until the state tournament. Then to see him blow through that bracket was pretty impressive.

Wasn't Jay Borscel opening a club as well?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT