ADVERTISEMENT

Top CR Restaurants for 2022

Exotic is a small spot and doesn't look like much from the outside, but good food and good people working there.
Unless you go to a big city, most Indian restaurants look like dives. That being said, any caucasian American can make Indian dishes with my simple tips.

I have said it many times that we should have a HORT gathering. You know, just the cool kids and geezeballs like me. I'd bring a spread and much alcohol. Someone with a keen mind like @torbee should plan this out. I'm game. What's the worst that could happen? Please don't answer that. That's rhetorical.
Do we have to invite CR posters though? They are degenerate.

I have said it many times that we should have a HORT gathering. You know, just the cool kids and geezeballs like me. I'd bring a spread and much alcohol. Someone with a keen mind like @torbee should plan this out. I'm game. What's the worst that could happen? Please don't answer that. That's rhetorical.
@torbee still owes us weed/gummies for the basketball prediction bet.

To say Zepplin's Menu is inspired by the ID's is an understatement, down to the cheesy wontons. Not an exact copy, but one of the partners that opened Zepplin's came from the ID.

IMHO the main difference between the two places is the atmosphere.

I've been eating at the ID for 30 years and it is the most consistent place in town when it comes to quality of food, and the service is generally pretty solid.
I don't disagree with any of that. My comment was more that the top rated cuisine in CR these days is pub food. I grew up there and remember authentic Lebanese and Greek restaurants, as well as the infamous, Dragon. I realize I'd probably hate the Dragon if it was still around and I ate there, but memories of it being awesome still linger. I've never been to Zepplins, but I've eaten many meals and consumed a lot of drinks at the ID. And it was always solid.

Man, I’m glad I live in DM suburb and all of the options available to us in all categories.

Surprised Panera didn’t make the list for CR. LoL. There are a few in CR I’ll have to try out, if and when I have to go to that shiat hole.

Man, I’m glad I live in DM suburb and all of the options available to us in all categories.

Surprised Panera didn’t make the list for CR. LoL. There are a few in CR I’ll have to try out, if and when I have to go to that shiat hole.
Des Moines is the Paris of the Midwest. Many people are saying it! :rolleyes:

Suburbs of Des Moines, the foody's paradise.

Who would've known?
Des Moines and the metro options are so much more compared to CR/QC and won’t include any chains except for Johnny’s since it’s a regional chain, along with the Chop House for steak, seafood, and Italian. Clearly, you have no clue what Des Moines has to offer from a food perspective.

Des Moines and the metro options are so much more compared to CR/QC and won’t include any chains except for Johnny’s since it’s a regional chain, along with the Chop House for steak, seafood, and Italian. Clearly, you have no clue what Des Moines has to offer from a food perspective.
Basically on par with San Francisco and Chicago for sure. Maybe a step behind NYC or Paris.

Des Moines is a culinary shining star on the globe for sure!

Basically on par with San Francisco and Chicago for sure. Maybe a step behind NYC or Paris.

Des Moines is a culinary shining star on the globe for sure!
I'm doing spit takes here. Who will clean my computer monitor now? Haha Des Moines.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I'm in the minority on Black Sheep. The room is spectacular but I haven't been that impressed with the food and the owner is a bit of a dbag.

Lots of quality places left off, most have been mentioned but I'll add Local Pour, Popoli, and Kingston's to the Need, Saucy Foccacia, Ting's, Ray’s list.
Popoli's closed a couple of months ago brah. I like the rest of your list.

Midtown Station is very good, looks like a hole in the wall but has a very good chef that makes everything from scratch. Emil's hideaway has good sandwiches, similar menu to Irish Democrat.

Unless you go to a big city, most Indian restaurants look like dives. That being said, any caucasian American can make Indian dishes with my simple tips.
I am trying to come up with a culturally sensitive way to ask this, but am failing, so will just come out with it:

Is it legit to be concerned about cleanliness/food safety issues at hole-in-the-wall Indian places? A few I've been in seem to be more of a "this is how we do it in Bangalore" laissez-faire attitude.

I am trying to come up with a culturally sensitive way to ask this, but am failing, so will just come out with it:

Is it legit to be concerned about cleanliness/food safety issues at hole-in-the-wall Indian places? A few I've been in seem to be more of a "this is how we do it in Bangalore" laissez-faire attitude.
You're not offending me my good man. Of course it is legit to be concerned. I'd get the f out of dodge if the place was dirty, Indian or not. Glad to help!

Reactions: torbee

Yes. just stay at a motel they own/run, and you will never go to one again

Yes. just stay at a motel they own/run, and you will never go to one again
Most of the swanky joints in ic, the hotels, are owned and run by Indians. So next hawk game, stay in davenport or williamsburg and drive in.

Bari
Popoli's closed a couple of months ago brah. I like the rest of your list.

Midtown Station is very good, looks like a hole in the wall but has a very good chef that makes everything from scratch. Emil's hideaway has good sandwiches, similar menu to Irish Democrat.
Shit, I forgot about Emil’s. Their food is awesome. The Hideaway Pasta is awfully good, and they have this Rangoon sandwich that’s damn good.

In fairness, Cityview’s “Best Of” also had Texas Roahouse as a runner up to best steakhouse in the DSM metro. Readers also preferred BBop’s fries to Django’s duck frites. When you have a large group of people voting on something, the bar will be lowered.

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK
I'd appreciate some reviews for Villa's Patio from folks who have eaten there, their menu looks solid and Mexican food is one of my favorites. Carlos does not deserve to be listed, some of the worst available IMO.

Anyone remember when there was a Zoey's in Iowa City, it was my favorite pizza but it was gone pretty quickly.

Admittedly Texas Roadhouse is not exactly prime dining territory, but for a chain steakhouse they're solid and you know you can do a lot worse than that.

Edit: Why am I so damn hungry all of a sudden?

Reactions: qbxpx7
I'd appreciate some reviews for Villa's Patio from folks who have eaten there, their menu looks solid and Mexican food is one of my favorites. Carlos does not deserve to be listed, some of the worst available IMO.

Anyone remember when there was a Zoey's in Iowa City, it was my favorite pizza but it was gone pretty quickly.

Admittedly Texas Roadhouse is not exactly prime dining territory, but for a chain steakhouse they're solid and you know you can do a lot worse than that.

Edit: Why am I so damn hungry all of a sudden?
I was just at the Villas Patio off of Edgewood last Wednesday. I've always had great food there. My gf (no pics) is addicted to their tableside guac. I had the mole poblano last week and it was outstanding. When it comes to mexican food I prefer Mas Margaritas but Villas is super solid.

A new place opened up by Carlos OKellys called La Chamba. It's also REALLY damn good, and they serve breakfast options. Highly recommend it.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT