ADVERTISEMENT

Top CR Restaurants for 2022

Also kind of surprised Willie Rays Q Shack wasn't on the BBQ list. His Ribs and chicken are friggin phenomenal. Plus, he's just a really good dude that's gotten a lot of publicity over the last couple years.

Edit: Maybe it's because he doesn't have an actual sit down restaurant yet?
Remember that this was voted on by the public.

Reactions: McLovin32
giphy.gif

Reactions: Fan In Black
I'd appreciate some reviews for Villa's Patio from folks who have eaten there, their menu looks solid and Mexican food is one of my favorites. Carlos does not deserve to be listed, some of the worst available IMO.

Anyone remember when there was a Zoey's in Iowa City, it was my favorite pizza but it was gone pretty quickly.

Admittedly Texas Roadhouse is not exactly prime dining territory, but for a chain steakhouse they're solid and you know you can do a lot worse than that.

Edit: Why am I so damn hungry all of a sudden?
Villa's is very good, wife and I eat there a lot. Their tacos campechanos are about as good as it gets.

I'm in the minority on Black Sheep. The room is spectacular but I haven't been that impressed with the food and the owner is a bit of a dbag.

Lots of quality places left off, most have been mentioned but I'll add Local Pour, Popoli, and Kingston's to the Need, Saucy Foccacia, Ting's, Ray’s list.
That guy use to get alot of nice tail.

They were voted for on CommunityVotes Cedar Rapids, and KHAK posted some of the results. No surprise there's plenty of goddamn chain restaurants mentioned. Cedar Rapidians do not know great food, except for #1 in the pizza category.

All Restaurants​

Breakfast​

Asian​

Cafes & Coffee Shops​

Burgers​

Steakhouses​

Pizza​

American​

BBQ​

Mexican​

Bakeries​

Wings​

The fact Third Base isn't even mentioned for wings is a ****ing travesty.
Choosing CR's top restaurant is like choosing which prisoner you want to 'make friends with' first.

In all my decades on this earth, I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone complain about their burger being too juicy (sans dripping blood). You are an odd duck.
In Minneapolis they have a burger called the "Juicy Lucy"so yup totally agree.

In fairness, Cityview’s “Best Of” also had Texas Roahouse as a runner up to best steakhouse in the DSM metro. Readers also preferred BBop’s fries to Django’s duck frites. When you have a large group of people voting on something, the bar will be lowered.
Maybe they think BBop’s fries taste better? Just because something is fancy and expensive doesn’t make it better.

Maybe they think BBop’s fries taste better? Just because something is fancy and expensive doesn’t make it better.
While agree, it doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive to be good. If you don’t think potatoes fried in duck fat is better than fried in soybean oil, I question your taste buds.

They were voted for on CommunityVotes Cedar Rapids, and KHAK posted some of the results. No surprise there's plenty of goddamn chain restaurants mentioned. Cedar Rapidians do not know great food, except for #1 in the pizza category.

All Restaurants​

Breakfast​

Asian​

Cafes & Coffee Shops​

Burgers​

Steakhouses​

Pizza​

American​

BBQ​

Mexican​

Bakeries​

Wings​

The fact Third Base isn't even mentioned for wings is a ****ing travesty.
Late to this party but heres a few places I haven't seen mentioned that we frequent

Mandarin Spice- Asian
Lucky's - Breakfast by FAR the best
Lucky Penny- Pub food
Goldfinch - Pub/Burgers
Peddlers Fork - great beer Selection
Tomasos- pizza
Cappy's- pizza
Bricks- craft beer pub
Parlor City Pub- craft beer/ pub
Caucho - upscale Mex
Shorts Marion - Burgers
Edith Lucille's Bait Shack - Supper Club ish
Lion Bridge Brewing - Brewery/foodie
BoMacs - better Pub food
Third Base Brewing - Sports Pub
Czech Town Station - Breakfast/pub food
The Bohemian - BBQ
Bistro 319 - foodie pub
Chophouse Downtown - Steak/Chops etc
Hospada- Wood fire Pizza
La Casita - Breakfast
La Cantina- Mex
Vinos/RG Books Italian/ Dining
Old Neighborhood Pub- foodie dive bar
Frydaes - dessert
Daisy's Garage seafoodish Pub.
White Star Alehouse- havent been there since it reopened though...Pub/Dining

On my list

Crosby's
The new BBQ place in Czech Village
Crab Attack
Mamacita's
Hip-Ster

If you can't find great food in CR/Marion you might want to get off of Collins Road. We must be neighbors McLovin as I can also walk across the street to Mas Margaritas/ Tings / Kingston. The Patio Bar at Kingston is one of my favorite Hangouts.

Last edited:
After a deeper dive, turns out there are some more categories.

PlatinumBari Italian
GoldNapoli's Italian Restaurant
SilverZio Johno's Spaghetti House Restaurant
BronzeBiaggi's Ristorante Italiano
BronzeOlive Garden Italian Restaurant
Anybody putting Zio Johno's ahead of Biaggi's is insane. Zio's lasagna sucks ass compared to Leonardo's both in price and quality, and they aren't even on the list.

I'm in the minority on Black Sheep. The room is spectacular but I haven't been that impressed with the food and the owner is a bit of a dbag.

Lots of quality places left off, most have been mentioned but I'll add Local Pour, Popoli, and Kingston's to the Need, Saucy Foccacia, Ting's, Ray’s list.
Popoli close again.

While agree, it doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive to be good. If you don’t think potatoes fried in duck fat is better than fried in soybean oil, I question your taste buds.
1. I never said it was. But everybody has different tastes. What you think tastes good may make someone else gag. Doesn’t make you “right” (doesn’t make the other person right either).

2. Although I live in Johnston, I’ve never been to Django, so I have no idea if their duck fat fries are good or not.

Late to this party but heres a few places I haven't seen mentioned that we frequent

Mandarin Spice- Asian
Lucky's - Breakfast by FAR the best
Lucky Penny- Pub food
Goldfinch - Pub/Burgers
Peddlers Fork - great beer Selection
Tomasos- pizza
Cappy's- pizza
Bricks- craft beer pub
Parlor City Pub- craft beer/ pub
Caucho - upscale Mex
Shorts Marion - Burgers
Edith Lucille's Bait Shack - Supper Club ish
Lion Bridge Brewing - Brewery/foodie
BoMacs - better Pub food
Third Base Brewing - Sports Pub
Czech Town Station - Breakfast/pub food
The Bohemian - BBQ
Bistro 319 - foodie pub
Chophouse Downtown - Steak/Chops etc
Hospada- Wood fire Pizza
La Casita - Breakfast
La Cantina- Mex
Vinos/RG Books Italian/ Dining
Old Neighborhood Pub- foodie dive bar
Frydaes - dessert
Daisy's Garage seafoodish Pub.
White Star Alehouse- havent been there since it reopened though...Pub/Dining

On my list

Crosby's
The new BBQ place in Czech Village
Crab Attack
Mamacita's
Hip-Ster

If you can't find great food in CR/Marion you might want to get off of Collins Road. We must be neighbors McLovin as I can also walk across the street to Mas Margaritas/ Tings / Kingston. The Patio Bar at Kingston is one of my favorite Hangouts.
Niiiiiiice. I actually haven’t been to Kingston yet. It’s in my list of places to go soon.
Also, good call on Crab Attack. I absolutely love that place.

To say Zepplin's Menu is inspired by the ID's is an understatement, down to the cheesy wontons. Not an exact copy, but one of the partners that opened Zepplin's came from the ID.

IMHO the main difference between the two places is the atmosphere.

I've been eating at the ID for 30 years and it is the most consistent place in town when it comes to quality of food, and the service is generally pretty solid.
ID’s appetizers are way better than Zeppelins

1. I never said it was. But everybody has different tastes. What you think tastes good may make someone else gag. Doesn’t make you “right” (doesn’t make the other person right either).

2. Although I live in Johnston, I’ve never been to Django, so I have no idea if their duck fat fries are good or not.
It made me sad when django closed then moved. It is outside of our routine of places we go now but we did love it. Need to get back there. You should try it.

Pretty much.

I live in Alabama which makes Iowa look like an Arizona border town when it comes to Mexican restaurants. There actually are some good ones in Iowa, but the general rule of thumb is, the more "hole in the wall" the joint looks, the better the eats.
True story

What?! I always thought you were an in-lander. Your Indian food recommendations are useless to me now.
Hah. I'm water people yo. We know fried things and fish things. Bombay and Goa are on the sea not in some wheat plains.

FYI, you guys would love Goan food. The only state where to can eat beef, get trashed and dance with Russian hookers to techno.

Hah. I'm water people yo. We know fried things and fish things. Bombay and Goa are on the sea not in some wheat plains.

FYI, you guys would love Goan food. The only state where to can eat beef, get trashed and dance with Russian hookers to techno.

I love Goa. Went there for a long weekend from Bangalore a few years ago. The first day when the fella brought tea to my seaside (canalside?) door freaked me out, but loved it after. But yes, god damn Russians everywhere. Worst part about it, except for their wives always dressed like strippers.

And Bombay? That’s what it was called the last time I was there! It’s been a while.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I love Goa. Went there for a long weekend from Bangalore a few years ago. The first day when the fella brought tea to my seaside (canalside?) door freaked me out, but loved it after. But yes, god damn Russians everywhere. Worst part about it, except for their wives always dressed like strippers.

And Bombay? That’s what it was called the last time I was there! It’s been a while.
It's always Bombay to me ;) I'm glad you had fun. The sanitary state of restaurants in India have come way way up. That's what I'm most critical about. If you ever head back, happy to provide you with recommendations.

They have a type of traditional goan curry at Delhicacy. My dumbass thought it was a typo for “goat” until I saw the meat options listed right under it.

EDIT: It’s the Vindaloo Curry. I’ve actually had that. Good stuff.

It's always Bombay to me ;) I'm glad you had fun. The sanitary state of restaurants in India have come way way up. That's what I'm most critical about. If you ever head back, happy to provide you with recommendations.

After the first time I went…I agreed that I.N.D.I.A. Stands for I’ll Never Do It Again. ;) But I’ve been back numerous times.

Honestly, I’d love to go back more but I stand out in India like @GOHOX69 at a Dublin red heads only St Pattie’s Day party. If I could blend in and not be seen, I’d love to just watch India go by. Unfortunately, it’s not possible…

• Haha
After the first time I went…I agreed that I.N.D.I.A. Stands for I’ll Never Do It Again. ;) But I’ve been back numerous times.

Honestly, I’d love to go back more but I stand out in India like @GOHOX69 at a Dublin red heads only St Pattie’s Day party. If I could blend in and not be seen, I’d love to just watch India go by. Unfortunately, it’s not possible…
Really? Plenty of whites there these days. I mean plenty. Colaba in Bombay is pretty much white people.

Really? Plenty of whites there these days. I mean plenty. Colaba in Bombay is pretty much white people.

Most of my time was spent there in the 90’s. Very tough time. But so was all of Asia - the crisis was in full affect. I spent a ton of time in Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand as well and it was brutal. I’m sure it’s better now.

Most of my time was spent there in the 90’s. Very tough time. But so was all of Asia - the crisis was in full affect. I spent a ton of time in Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand as well and it was brutal. I’m sure it’s better now.
Night and day difference. Not much in common these days with that era.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT