ADVERTISEMENT

Top Gun 2 Trailer

I have to say, seeing Maverick flying an F/A-18 sort of sucks. I realize the Tomcats are long gone...but they were sooo cool. Especially the Super models. That big ass with the tunnel between the nacelles. Those huge F110-400 engines. And of course, the variable wings. Pure sex.
I saw one flying around the cr airport circa 1988 from an overpass on a rainy cloudy Saturday. It was magic.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
It5pprg.gif

At least it looks like limited CGI.

I seriously doubt Cruise is actually piloting those F-18's. I'd assume he's in a two seater for filming and they CGI it to make them look like single seaters with him piloting.

I'd say we don't have to worry about the "super secret MiG's" being F-5's this time around, too. Hell, they probably would be able to get some actual still flyable (and deadly) MiG 29's for this one.

Given modern movie making, they can make this look really good with the flying sequences. So, it'll devolve to the story whether it's actually a good movie or not.

Hopefully, they left the cheesiness out of it this time.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Meh. Looks like most of the flight scenes are CGI.
I'll wait until I can see it on the tv for free.

Well it looked pretty real to me and according to the crazy one himself.

“Everything you see in this film is real. We're working with the Navy. I wanted to give you an experience of being inside that aircraft," says Cruise.”

And while the military will not allow civilians to fly military owned aircraft, apparently there are a couple former Blue Angel model civilian owned F-18s and allegedly Tom cruise was piloting one of them for certain scenes.

Here’s one for sale for only a mil. Tom Cruise probably has a dozen cars that cost more. And allegedly production was put on hold for a year so Tom Cruise could safely learn to pilot the civilian F-18 just like he did the helicopter for the last Mission Impossible.

https://sites.ualberta.ca/~nmartin/newhome/TheonlyF.html

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I seriously doubt Cruise is actually piloting those F-18's. I'd assume he's in a two seater for filming and they CGI it to make them look like single seaters with him piloting.

I'd say we don't have to worry about the "super secret MiG's" being F-5's this time around, too. Hell, they probably would be able to get some actual still flyable (and deadly) MiG 29's for this one.

Given modern movie making, they can make this look really good with the flying sequences. So, it'll devolve to the story whether it's actually a good movie or not.

See my previous post, allegedly he really did pilot a civilian owned F-18. They did say that Tom Cruise is not ALWAYS piloting “his” F-18 and that most of the time it’s a military plane and a military pilot. But some scenes are allegedly him in a real demilitarised F-18. Remember the F-18 isn’t some new bleeding edge aircraft, it’s actually older than me (1974) in its original version.

Apparently Maverick will be piloting some top secret plane at some point as there are set pictures where he’s wearing a high altitude, high g gear like the SR-71 pilots have to wear.

Sadly it looks like a total rehash.

I'm curious about the accuracy of the planes and equipment. Mig28 eh? No Russian migs have an even number designation and as someone said the f5 bit was cringe worthy.

Wow - was expecting Maverick to be more of an instructor. ..more of a newer story but damn that looks like a greatest hits video.

Similar scenes:
  1. Cruise having conflict with commanding officer
  2. Cruise on a motorcycle next to a jet taking off
  3. Shirtless pilots playing against each other in a sport
  4. Looks like Cruise was pushing the jet past certain limits..
  5. Same intro music (which is cool)
  6. Piano scene
  7. Pilots singing scene
  8. Weird young Goose look alike.
  9. Pilot competition
Kind of looks like a money grab vs an original story-line. Oh well.

Which is exactly what we all want

I have no idea where I heard this but for some reason I was under the impression that drone warfare was going to be heavily involved in the movie. There was nothing in the trailer.

Not gonna lie, the prospect of some 50 year old pilot beating a computer with straight up balls would be pretty ****ing great.

This movie might just be what this country needs.

I have no idea where I heard this but for some reason I was under the impression that drone warfare was going to be heavily involved in the movie. There was nothing in the trailer.

Not gonna lie, the prospect of some 50 year old pilot beating a computer with straight up balls would be pretty ****ing great.

Yes more jingoistic garbage. Totally.

I'm curious about the accuracy of the planes and equipment. Mig28 eh? No Russian migs have an even number designation and as someone said the f5 bit was cringe worthy.

“In a May 2019 interview with Collider, actor Jon Hamm had nothing but praise for the high-tech filmmaking techniques intended to give Maverickaudiences an in-the-cockpit experience.

“They’re using some technology on this that has never before seen,” said Hamm. “We’re shooting the movie in, I think, 6K. So it’s incredibly hi-def. The aerial footage is mind-blowing. And it’s mostly practical. There’s not a lot of CG. Those guys are really up in planes and getting thrown around in multiple Gs.””

The drone rumours stem from now dead director Tony Scott saying that what was what he wanted to do. The current director has said (whether true or not) that the idea was nixed.

Besides there’s already a movie about pilots topping a stealth drone in the movie Stealth.

21 is an odd number last I checked.
I've had plenty of experience in mig21s and 29ks. My relatives in the Indian airforce fly them. There was a 21 at the SAC museum and on the USS Intrepid. In Russia, helicopters, usually prefixed by Mi or Mil have even number designations like the Hind Mi24. Migs usually have odd numbers, 15, 17, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31 and 35. Top Gun called them Mig 28s and used F5 Tigersharks to represent them. Admittedly, back in 1986, getting real Migs was difficult but at least come up with a fake odd number.

Last edited:

I so badly wanted to become a navigator (my eyesight was always far too bad to become a pilot) when the original came out. Then the wall came down when I was in college and by the time I joined the Air Force there was such a reduction in force that it was nearly impossible to get a slot; I would have needed a waiver for my eyesight to even be a navigator. Ended up with a desk job for 5 years; oh, well. A more accurate portrayal of my military experience would be Office Space.

My question...he was a LT (O3) in 1986 and he's a Capt (O6) in 2022... how the hell is he still in the Navy? He got 3 promotions in 36 years? And they let him stay in?

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT