ADVERTISEMENT

Top Gun: Maverick

coloradonoles

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
Houston, TX
Its awesome. Saw it in IMAX.

Good story, funny, sad and several cliffhangers.

Just enough nostalgia to keep us old folks happy.

The aerial scenes were incredible. Makes you really feel what its like in the cockpit.

First movie I've seen at the theater in probably 5 years. Would recommend.

Jennifer Connelly is a complete hottie, for 51 or 31.

I heard a review on NPR last week that made me think it's worth seeing in the theater, although I must disagree with the reviewers analysis that the volleyball scene in the first movie was homoerotic.
It was supposedly a big decision to keep out Kelly McGillis and Meg Ryan, but how much nostalgia do you need? Although, Ryan would have had a role to play as Rooster's mom.

I heard a review on NPR last week that made me think it's worth seeing in the theater, although I must disagree with the reviewers analysis that the volleyball scene in the first movie was homoerotic.
It was supposedly a big decision to keep out Kelly McGillis and Meg Ryan, but how much nostalgia do you need? Although, Ryan would have had a role to play as Rooster's mom.
No one wants to see Kelly McGillis nowadays. I can see her being in the film and all of the other instructors giving Maverick shit for nailing her years ago

Jennifer-Connelly-Paul-Bettany-Beach-Spain-2017.jpg

Its awesome. Saw it in IMAX.

Good story, funny, sad and several cliffhangers.

Just enough nostalgia to keep us old folks happy.

The aerial scenes were incredible. Makes you really feel what its like in the cockpit.

First movie I've seen at the theater in probably 5 years. Would recommend.

Jennifer Connelly is a complete hottie, for 51 or 31.
I am hearing so much good stuff. Will be the first movie I have seen in a theater in YEARS

Pretty much everyone who's seen it has given it rave reviews, which is about the opposite of what I expected. Definitely gonna have to make it to the theater to see.

No one wants to see Kelly McGillis nowadays. I can see her being in the film and all of the other instructors giving Maverick shit for nailing her years ago
Cruise can pull it off. They put Kilmer in it. Yeah, health issues, but he isn't the Ice Man of old.

Cruise can pull it off. They put Kilmer in it. Yeah, health issues, but he isn't the Ice Man of old.
Sounds like Tom really went to bat for Val. Wouldn't do the movie without him

I think Cruise is kind of a nut, but is not a bad person. Like his outburst filming during Covid. I really think he knew how important keeping people healthy was for the entire industry and that is where outburst came from

Because she only exists for your viewing pleasure, or not. Right?
It’s not really whether she “exists” for his viewing pleasure or not. It’s whether she should be “in the movie “ for his viewing pleasure or not. And there are a LOT of people I would rather not see on the big screen.

Wishing they would of used the F-35 instead of the F-18.

The F-35 can’t simultaneously fly and shoot missiles. It’s a worthless POS.

There’s a reason that both the Air Force and Navy are pushing a faster timeline for acquiring their respective the sixth gen NGAD (Next Generation Air Dominance) fighters. The Air Force has already flown a prototype of their NGAD about five years ahead of their original plan because the F-35s are such a POS that they’ve ruined the F-22 airframes by running too many hours on them.

The original Air Force plan was to jettison the F-16s and A-10s entirely and use the existing F-15s as backup/secondary fighter and attack craft while the F-22s were the frontline interceptors/fighters and the F-35s served as secondary interceptors/fighters, the main attack planes and took over close air support. Instead, the F-35s have proven useless as fighters/interceptors and can’t beat out the A-10s for Close Air Support. They barely function as standard attack craft.

So as a result, the Air Force have completely switched long term plans and are producing new F-15EX to fill in for the F-35s as secondary frontline fighters/interceptors until the F-22s completely disintegrate or hopefully the new Air Force NGAD is brought online. The A-10s are getting new wings to continue their service WAY past their planned lifetime. The F-16s will be kept as secondary attack Craft almost a decade past their previously planned retirement.

So in other words, here was the original plan versus current plan in bold thanks to the F-35 completely failing almost across the board.

Type: original Plan vs current plan
Frontline Fighter/Int: F-22 vs F-15EX & NGAD
Secondary Fighter: F-35 vs F-15EX
Primary Attack: F-35 vs F-15E, F-15EX & F-35
Secondary Attack: F-15E vs F-16C
Close Air Support: F-35 vs A-10 modified

And the Navy likewise has completely revised its plan which was essentially nothing but F-35s and will load up on more Super Hornets at about the same rate as the F-35s. They weren’t planning on needing a quick NGAD but instead they are ramping their program up as well (despite the same name, the AF and Navy NGAD programs have different planes involved, they at least learned their lesson here).

Type: original Plan vs current plan
Frontline Fighter/Int: F-35 vs FA-18E & NGAD
Secondary Fighter: F-35 vs FA-18E
Primary Attack: F-35 vs FA-18E & F-35
Secondary Attack: FA-18E vs FA-18E

Wishing they would of used the F-35 instead of the F-18.
My understanding is they did a lot of the filming with the cast in the backseat of the F-18E, but made it seem like they were all in F-18Cs (single seaters).
No two seater F-35.

Saw It tonight. Good movie. About impossible to live up to the reviews it has been getting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT